The Student Room Group

Are non-Nintendo Japanese-style games popular in UK?

It seems that most Japanese-style games are not so popular in UK. For example, Castlevania series and Final Fantasy series. Games of Blizzard Inc. are even more popular in non-British European countries.

Japanese animes and games seem to be more popular in France and Germany.
Reply 1
Personally I love Japanese-style games
FF and DQ are some of my favourites. NieR replicant/automata the best tho :wink:
Aside from those, I think street fighter used to be quite popular
The FF and Castlevania series were both popular here before they went to crap. And with the huge boom in indie software and digital availability in recent years, a lot of Japan titles lost their import/port novelty, there's no end of weird worldwide games. (and even then the FF7 remake did really well here)

You need to take into account the UK has only a limited game playing and buying population and our economy is in the toilet. Many Japanese and other overseas developers will care a lot how their game does in the US, but not really here and will likely invest less in marketing and awareness for us.
I think it depends on what you mean by 'japanese-style'. Do you just mean games from Japan, by Japanese creators and developers? That includes FromSoftware and Elden Ring was the most popular game out last year!

Best Game Support went to FFXIV last year and it's won Best Ongoing Game for two years running, which, without counting other games in the series has a really big player-base in the UK. KupoCon (a fan-based final fantasy convention) runs in both Glasgow AND London, generally annually, so I disagree that it's not a popular franchise here.

If you go into a lot of pop-culture shops, you will find quite a good selection of Japanese game-themed merchandise. They just wouldn't stock those if there wasn't a pretty hefty market for them!
(edited 1 year ago)
As someone who lives in Germany and plays videogames, I lalso like games which weren't produced by Nintendo or in Japanese style. The main point is not the design or the branch, but the fun! :smile:
Original post by Emily Brick

It seems that most Japanese-style games are not so popular in UK. For example, Castlevania series and Final Fantasy series. Games of Blizzard Inc. are even more popular in non-British European countries.

They are popular but you just need to find the communities for them tbh. I'm a massive fan of non - nintendo Japanese Style Games :smile:
Original post by Automata
(...)
Aside from those, I think street fighter used to be quite popular

Yep, that is a fine beat and up genre. :yes: I also like to play the good old castlevania games from Nintendo. They are at least not made in anime style, aren't them?
I think many JRPGS are quite popular in the UK and aren't first party Nintendo games, like the Disgaea series, Final Fantasy, the Persona series, Yakuza...
Original post by incendiesblvd
I think many JRPGS are quite popular in the UK and aren't first party Nintendo games, like the Disgaea series, Final Fantasy, the Persona series, Yakuza...

Final Fantasy is a game made in Japan, surprise. That is a thing I did not know till this moment.
Original post by Kallisto
Final Fantasy is a game made in Japan, surprise. That is a thing I did not know till this moment.

I thought the question was about Japanese games popular in the UK that aren't made by Nintendo...
Reply 10
Original post by incendiesblvd
I thought the question was about Japanese games popular in the UK that aren't made by Nintendo...

Final Fantasy is created by Square Enix, not Nintendo.
Original post by Emily Brick

I feel like the UK is kinda behind on the hype for those types of games, but like didnt persona 5 get kinda popular here?

Quick Reply

Latest