The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2015 Applications FAQ + Chat Thread + Offers

Hi,

Just thought I would create a big FAQ + Chat thread for everyone who will be applying to the University of Birmingham for the 2015 intake as past years' threads were seriously lacking the presence of current students/ alumni - I know for sure I'd have liked to have been given useful information. :smile:

So, here's a chance for prospective students to get their application & interview questions answered, and also chat with other applicants.

Don't forget to contact your college admissions tutor(s) and the undergraduate admissions officer for any personal queries as we may not answer specific cases here.
Admissions Officer
University's UG FAQ
Birmingham stalking/connect page

You will find a full list of courses taught at the university here.

Still don't know what to study at uni? Check out this awesome vid' on how to make an informed career choice:

[video="youtube;rChVq_QzOis"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChVq_QzOis[/video]

Important note: Accommodation runs on a first-come first-served basis, therefore make sure you apply as soon as you get your offer! You can amend your hall preferences at a later stage without affecting your queuing place. All firmers applying under the Freshers' Guarantee Scheme (the 2015 deadline is to be confirmed) are guaranteed accommodation.

I understand that applying to university is a stressful yet very exciting and important moment for you, so I - and hopefully other current University of Birmingham's students out there - will do our best to make this process as enjoyable as possible. All the best with your application and upcoming final exams (never too soon to start studying for them, trust me haha)!

DISCLAIMER: This thread does not officially represent the university in any way. All communication by its posters represent their own good-faith initiatives whether or not they refer to the university directly or indirectly.

FAQ

I am holding a conditional offer and still have not received an offer of accommodation. Should I be worried?

Spoiler

EU/ INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

Do I need to send in my exam results?

Spoiler

How do I send my exam results?

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
Yes I've visited this page and read what it says before, thank you :smile: I still wasn't completely sure so thought I'd ask
Also just needed some advice from anyone who knows about people that usually get into UoB and whether my IGCSEs seem alright :smile:

Hi there, I will be studying at the University of Birmingham this coming September, so I thought I'd help you out. I redirected your query here so that other applicants could see it too.

Regarding the iGCSEs, you'd be better off asking directly to the medicine admissions tutors (although I'm pretty sure the entry requirements are the same for this qualification). You can find their contact details here. All I know is that Birmingham gives preference to applicants offering A* in Mathematics, English and Science subjects. You must also be predicted to achieve an A in three A-level science subjects, including Biology and Chemistry.

Hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Grace .
Hi there, I will be studying at the University of Birmingham this coming September, so I thought I'd help you out. I redirected your query here so that other applicants could see it too.

Regarding the iGCSEs, you'd be better off asking directly to the medicine admissions tutors (although I'm pretty sure the entry requirements are the same for this qualification). You can find their contact details here. All I know is that Birmingham gives preference to applicants offering A* in Mathematics, English and Science subjects. You must also be predicted to achieve an A in three A-level science subjects, including Biology and Chemistry.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Hi Grace! Thank you so much! :biggrin: Good luck for university!
Reply 3
Hi Grace! Thank you so much! :biggrin: Good luck for university!

You're welcome.
And thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
heya,
i'm applying to study chemical engineering at the university of birmingham this year and i was just wondering if living in birmingham is a good or bad experience as i was talking about the uni yesterday and some my peers told me that its a bad place to live in with lots of stealing and stuff
Thank You!
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to University of Birmingham connect page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
Hi guys! I'm applying for Nursing this year through the A2B scheme. I want them to lower my GCSE entry requirements. What do you guys think?
Reply 8
Original post by texiaco
heya,
i'm applying to study chemical engineering at the university of birmingham this year and i was just wondering if living in birmingham is a good or bad experience as i was talking about the uni yesterday and some my peers told me that its a bad place to live in with lots of stealing and stuff
Thank You!

A week has passed now since I moved in Birmingham and I'm absolutely loving this place! The people are so nice and the campus is huge and gorgeous (it only took me a few days to become familiar with it. I can now easily navigate around the main buildings, that's to say the Guild, the main library, medschool etc. It may take longer for some people, though). There are loads of green areas as well. I'm an EU student and as weird as it may sound, I completely feel at home here haha. :smile: I've only been to Broad Street and Union Street so far and they are really busy yet nice places, especially Union Street. You will find all the banks there basically. I've yet to visit the Bullring but my friends and I have planned a trip there before Christmas! :tongue:

We've all heard horrid stories about what Birmingham used to be. I think the city has changed now and people need to get rid of that old image. Of course, Birmingham is not as attractive as London, but it's still pretty lovely. I absolutely love it! It's my second home. :smile: Furthermore, the uni is in Edgbaston so this means you will be in a rather quiet and safe environment.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Grace .
A week has passed now since I moved in Birmingham and I'm absolutely loving this place! The people are so nice and the campus is huge and gorgeous (it only took me a few days to become familiar with it. I can now easily navigate around the main buildings, that's to say the Guild, the main library, medschool etc. It may take longer for some people, though). There are loads of green areas as well. I'm an EU student and as weird as it may sound, I completely feel at home here haha. :smile: I've only been to Broad Street and Union Street so far and they are really busy yet nice places, especially Union Street. You will find all the banks there basically. I've yet to visit the Bullring but my friends and I have planned a trip there before Christmas! :tongue:

We've all heard horrid stories about what Birmingham used to be. I think the city has changed now and people need to get rid of that old image. Of course, Birmingham is not as attractive as London, but it's still pretty lovely. I absolutely love it! It's my second home. :smile: Furthermore, the uni is in Edgbaston so this means you will be in a rather quiet and safe environment.
Thank you!!!!
Original post by Grace .
A week has passed now since I moved in Birmingham and I'm absolutely loving this place!

Hey Grace! So great to hear you're loving it :biggrin: enjoy! x
Original post by Grace .
Hi,

Just thought I would create a big FAQ + Chat thread for everyone who will be applying to the University of Birmingham for the 2015 intake as past years' threads were seriously lacking the presence of current students/ alumni - I know for sure I'd have liked to have been given useful information. :smile:

So, here's a chance for prospective students to get their application & interview questions answered, and also chat with other applicants.

Don't forget to contact your college admissions tutor(s) and the undergraduate admissions officer for any personal queries as we may not answer specific cases here.
Admissions Officer
University's UG FAQ
Birmingham stalking/connect page

You will find a full list of courses taught at the university here.

Still don't know what to study at uni? Check out this awesome vid' on how to make an informed career choice:

[video="youtube;rChVq_QzOis"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChVq_QzOis[/video]

Important note: Accommodation runs on a first-come first-served basis, therefore make sure you apply as soon as you get your offer! You can amend your hall preferences at a later stage without affecting your queuing place. All firmers applying under the Freshers' Guarantee Scheme (the 2015 deadline is to be confirmed) are guaranteed accommodation.

I understand that applying to university is a stressful yet very exciting and important moment for you, so I - and hopefully other current University of Birmingham's students out there - will do our best to make this process as enjoyable as possible. All the best with your application and upcoming final exams (never too soon to start studying for them, trust me haha)!

DISCLAIMER: This thread does not officially represent the university in any way. All communication by its posters represent their own good-faith initiatives whether or not they refer to the university directly or indirectly.

FAQ

I am holding a conditional offer and still have not received an offer of accommodation. Should I be worried?

Spoiler

EU/ INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

Do I need to send in my exam results?

Spoiler

How do I send my exam results?

Spoiler

Hi, I am just wondering what is the likelihood that I will receive an unconditional offer. The sociology entry requirements are ABB and I got A*BB in my a levels? Also in my uni application this year is there anything additional i should add to my PS because i'm on a gap year?
Reply 12
Original post by sophus18x
Hi, I am just wondering what is the likelihood that I will receive an unconditional offer. The sociology entry requirements are ABB and I got A*BB in my a levels? Also in my uni application this year is there anything additional i should add to my PS because i'm on a gap year?

It depends on how competitive your course is. :smile: I can't promise you anything but I think you've got good chances of getting in provided that your personal statement is well written and you show a great interest in your course. You've clearly exceeded the entry requirements, so you shouldn't be worried about the grades. Just make sure that the non-academic side is also good. I think the admissions tutors would be interested in knowing what you did on your gap year too. Good luck with your application! (Don't forget to email your deparment to ask about your application as they must know better than me.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Hey Grace! So great to hear you're loving it :biggrin: enjoy! x

Thanks. :biggrin: x
Like Grace, I'm also a fresher at Birmingham, living in Pritchatt's Park village, and I absolutely love it! I originally applied to live at the Vale, but got Pritchatt's instead, and I'm so glad! We have a social centre, and are much closer to campus and the train station, and if I had the choice to apply for accommodation again, I'd definitely pick here! I'm studying Natural Sciences. Happy to answer any questions that anyone might have :smile: come to Birmingham!!
Hello. I have applied to the Economics and Political Science programme a week ago, and last Monday I have received acknowledgemet stating that I would get a response on my applicaiion "soon". What does "soon" mean in this case, since I applied in September? Does Birmingham begin to reject/send offers to sudents from October, or does it wait till January? Also, what percentage of applicants for courses such as mine, approximately, get offers under the unconditional offer scheme? Also, if a person does get an unconditional oofer, does he also get a conditional offer in case that person wants toput Birmigham as an insurance choice and not a firm choice?

Thanks
Original post by philerus
Hello. I have applied to the Economics and Political Science programme a week ago, and last Monday I have received acknowledgemet stating that I would get a response on my applicaiion "soon". What does "soon" mean in this case, since I applied in September? Does Birmingham begin to reject/send offers to sudents from October, or does it wait till January? Also, what percentage of applicants for courses such as mine, approximately, get offers under the unconditional offer scheme? Also, if a person does get an unconditional oofer, does he also get a conditional offer in case that person wants toput Birmigham as an insurance choice and not a firm choice?

Thanks

It took around 6 weeks for me to hear from Birmingham, and I applied at the beginning of October last year. However, I know some people waited less time, so it really depends on your department. However, since you applied early, you'll probably get your response quicker than people who apply later. I'm not sure what percentage of applicants get unconditional offers, but there are certain criteria you need to fulfil in order to get one. You will be given a conditional offer, which will become unconditional on track if you place it as your firm. :smile:
Can I apply for a course related in the Finance and accounting field? Even though I have a C in math? and 7 other Gcse's and got a A*A*A* Equivalent in A levels? Does that balance it out? However, I also have a disability so
Hiya!
I'll be applying to study Pharmacy at the University of Birmingham, Is anyone else applying? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by akhtarmaryam
Hiya!
I'll be applying to study Pharmacy at the University of Birmingham, Is anyone else applying? :smile:

Hi there! One of my friends is doing Pharmacy, so if you have got any question about the course or application process, I might be able to answer them and help you out a little bit. If you are looking for fellow pharmacy applicants, a facebook group might have been created - if not feel free to set one up! :smile:
Edit: TSR has also created an app/ wikipage that enables you to find other applicants and look at their stats etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest