The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2015 Applications FAQ + Chat Thread + Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saralound
Yeah pretty fast :smile: I got 4 but not Bristol. I got Birmingham and Liverpool which were the two I wanted so I just got on with it. Yep im going to the first applicant day

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great. Unlucky about Bristol but Birmingham's law school is amazing too. Yeah, might see you around on the applicant day haha. Are you going alone or with parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Got a Political Science offer - most likely will be firming it :biggrin:
Original post by fatsherry
That's great. Unlucky about Bristol but Birmingham's law school is amazing too. Yeah, might see you around on the applicant day haha. Are you going alone or with parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im going with my mate whos applying to Birmingham for history and politics
Random question but you know how you can pick modules outside your subject to study? Can you literally do anything?

What's everyone thinking of choosing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmEchelon
Random question but you know how you can pick modules outside your subject to study? Can you literally do anything?

What's everyone thinking of choosing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can literally do anything that they offer. They don't really offer proper modules in physics, chemistry, maths, biology, medicine, engineering etc but you can do near enough everything else. Languages are really popular.

https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/as/registry/policy/documents/public/progsmodules/lcmomd.pdf

That's the link to the list, so provided it doesn't clash with your timetable you can do whatever you want. And they release the list for each year in the first week of term and there's an MOMD fair where you can talk to anyone running the modules then you apply for which you want to do
Original post by chloebassett23
You can literally do anything that they offer. They don't really offer proper modules in physics, chemistry, maths, biology, medicine, engineering etc but you can do near enough everything else. Languages are really popular.

https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/as/registry/policy/documents/public/progsmodules/lcmomd.pdf

That's the link to the list, so provided it doesn't clash with your timetable you can do whatever you want. And they release the list for each year in the first week of term and there's an MOMD fair where you can talk to anyone running the modules then you apply for which you want to do

is this only allowed for certain courses then? say if i was appyling to law would you be permitted to take one of these modules. forgive myignorance if this is an easily answerable question but i would definitely be interested in sitting an economics module if that was the case!
Original post by neal95
is this only allowed for certain courses then? say if i was appyling to law would you be permitted to take one of these modules. forgive myignorance if this is an easily answerable question but i would definitely be interested in sitting an economics module if that was the case!

I'm not 100% sure with Law, but you can with near enough every subject apart from Medicine/Nursing. As long as you do single honours and not Law with something then I think you can. It doesn't say anything on the university website about law being able to take MOMD though.

It mainly relies on how many credits of compulsory modules you have. Everyone does 120 credits per year, so most subjects only have 100 of compulsory modules and then the other 20 is MOMD. It just depends if law does that! Sorry I don't know for sure!
I'm not 100% sure with Law, but you can with near enough every subject apart from Medicine/Nursing. As long as you do single honours and not Law with something then I think you can. It doesn't say anything on the university website about law being able to take MOMD though.

It mainly relies on how many credits of compulsory modules you have. Everyone does 120 credits per year, so most subjects only have 100 of compulsory modules and then the other 20 is MOMD. It just depends if law does that! Sorry I don't know for sure!

Thanks for your answer! it was very helpful as it has now provided me with something to research more and another reason to firm birmingham. i hope it is the case as it would be awesome to take a module in economics! are you planning on firming Birmingham and if so what subject? also, what MOMD has caught your eye?
Original post by neal95
Thanks for your answer! it was very helpful as it has now provided me with something to research more and another reason to firm birmingham. i hope it is the case as it would be awesome to take a module in economics! are you planning on firming Birmingham and if so what subject? also, what MOMD has caught your eye?

I already go here :biggrin: But it was my firm! And I study History and do 20th Century Russian Politics MOMD :smile:
From what I've read on TSR, many unconditional offers are required to be the Firm choice when picking the universities. I've applied for Economics and managed to receive an unconditional offer today (yay:biggrin:) but there is no indication as to whether I have to firm it or not.

Where would the details be regarding this? To make it slightly more complicated, I've already achieved AAB in A level which is why it has surprised me and the requirement is AAA. I am intending to do A2 Further Maths in this gap year with an A predicted for FM.

A quick reply is appreciated :smile:
I already go here :biggrin: But it was my firm! And I study History and do 20th Century Russian Politics MOMD :smile:

oh cool! are you generally happy with how the university is run, the nightlife (not just the SU or GOS but also Broad street?)
Original post by SteelCookie
From what I've read on TSR, many unconditional offers are required to be the Firm choice when picking the universities. I've applied for Economics and managed to receive an unconditional offer today (yay:biggrin:) but there is no indication as to whether I have to firm it or not.

Where would the details be regarding this? To make it slightly more complicated, I've already achieved AAB in A level which is why it has surprised me and the requirement is AAA. I am intending to do A2 Further Maths in this gap year with an A predicted for FM.

not sure if this is the case but from what ive seen and heard from birmingham last year the assumption was that they offered you unconditional as they want you to firm them. but then again if they dont state it it shouldnt be a condition.... perhaps email them anonymously or something lol?
Original post by neal95
not sure if this is the case but from what ive seen and heard from birmingham last year the assumption was that they offered you unconditional as they want you to firm them. but then again if they dont state it it shouldnt be a condition.... perhaps email them anonymously or something lol?

I assumed that the people who receive the "unconditional offer" would have UCAS tell them it's conditional with the requirement of firming them or get AAA.

I've already received an offer from Southampton that is conditional although entry requirement is AAB. However, the condition I need to fulfill is to send them a copy of my A-Level results certificate.

I'll wait for any more replies regarding this as this has totally confused me in what uni's to firm and whatnot :s
I assumed that the people who receive the "unconditional offer" would have UCAS tell them it's conditional with the requirement of firming them or get AAA.

I've already received an offer from Southampton that is conditional although entry requirement is AAB. However, the condition I need to fulfill is to send them a copy of my A-Level results certificate.

I'll wait for any more replies regarding this as this has totally confused me in what uni's to firm and whatnot :s

yeah thats probably the best option. would you accept birminghams offer is its the case where you have to firm them?
Original post by neal95
yeah thats probably the best option. would you accept birminghams offer is its the case where you have to firm them?

I applied to UCL/QMUL/Birmingham/Manchester/Southampton in the hope that my first choice is UCL and last is Southampton (in the order above).

Recieved offers from QMUL and below so my idea was to Firm QMUL and Insure Manchester.

Just received the offer for Birmingham that is Unconditional so naturally I'd insure that.

HOWEVER, the talk that it's conditional when it's insured would mean it's the same requirement as QMUL which wouldn't work in the end and if I don't get an A in FM would mean another gap year.

Also, if UCL give me an offer, I'm straight firming that and Manchester as Insurance (or B'ham if it stays unconditional).

On track it says the offer is Conditional, when you click of details of the offer mine says that as part of the Unconditional Offer Scheme the conditions above do not apply if I put them as my firm choice.

I guess because you already have results then there aren't really any conditions as such as you've already met them and know your results

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neal95
oh cool! are you generally happy with how the university is run, the nightlife (not just the SU or GOS but also Broad street?)

I really love the university yes. I don't really do nightlife in general so can't really comment!
Original post by Fuenciado
On track it says the offer is Conditional, when you click of details of the offer mine says that as part of the Unconditional Offer Scheme the conditions above do not apply if I put them as my firm choice.

I guess because you already have results then there aren't really any conditions as such as you've already met them and know your results

Posted from TSR Mobile

This helps massively, thank you very much! :biggrin:
Original post by neal95

the nightlife is alright, sports night and fab at the guild are fun, and then theres stuff on most days like stupid tuesdays etc on broadstreet
I really love the university yes. I don't really do nightlife in general so can't really comment!

Same here I've only been to a club once so I was just wondering:smile: thanks for your help btw. Are you planning on enjoying Christmas then or studying over the period?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending