The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2015 Applications FAQ + Chat Thread + Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BanishedKree
Heya, just received an offer for Bsc geography with a year abroad, and was wondering if, like in other universities, certain prerequisites had to be met (like over a certain percent in 1st year exams) before you can be accepted to go? I looked on the Geography department site but couldn't find anything

If your course is a year abroad when you arrive then there aren't any prerequisite marks usually. The school just call it, so if you do badly in first year, they might let you apply and everything, but then if you do badly in second year, they might decide you're better off staying in Birmingham and not let you go. But there's no specific mark as such

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by chloebassett23
If your course is a year abroad when you arrive then there aren't any prerequisite marks usually. The school just call it, so if you do badly in first year, they might let you apply and everything, but then if you do badly in second year, they might decide you're better off staying in Birmingham and not let you go. But there's no specific mark as such

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by angelamartinc235
I need at least a 60%, but that's for the Politics department so I'm not sure if it's the same for all the departments :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

awesome, thanks for the lightening quick responses :smile: I'll have to check up on it when I next visit
Original post by BanishedKree
awesome, thanks for the lightening quick responses :smile: I'll have to check up on it when I next visit

What are you studying? I do history and I think I have to have 60% in second year to go but doesn't matter for first year. My housemate does physics and he doesn't have any specific mark, the school just decide if he's allowed to go or not :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, I've made Birmingham my firm choice after going to the applicant day - I'll be doing chemical engineering. So now all I've got to do is figure out my accommodation. I've really no idea where to go tbh, I've heard The Vale is the place to be but a lot of the places there seem really expensive apart from maple bank.
Original post by goodwinning
Hi everyone, I've made Birmingham my firm choice after going to the applicant day - I'll be doing chemical engineering. So now all I've got to do is figure out my accommodation. I've really no idea where to go tbh, I've heard The Vale is the place to be but a lot of the places there seem really expensive apart from maple bank.

I personally think Victoria hall is value for money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!
So what made you firm Birmingham? :smile:
Original post by Championt1
I personally think Victoria hall is value for money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me too, that was my logic behind making that my first choice but it seems pretty popular. Hopefully I'll end up there though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emily.97
Congratulations!
So what made you firm Birmingham? :smile:

It was down to either Leeds or Birmingham and I told myself I'd decide based on how the applicant days went and whether I could see myself studying/living there and being happy with it. Went to Leeds first and I've got to say I absolutely hated it, which is a shame as I really wanted to like it there but I just found the whole place really gloomy, the facilities for chem eng were really old and the whole building looked like it was falling to bits and the tutors seemed quite distant and standoffish. Such a huge contrast to Birmingham - the moment I got there I immediately liked the feel and look of the place but the biggest factor was that all the tutors were very welcoming and involved. And you could tell the students I spoke to were all happy to be there whereas at Leeds most of them seemed despondent. I could definitely see myself living there too.

How about you? Are you going to Birmingham too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah me too, that was my logic behind making that my first choice but it seems pretty popular. Hopefully I'll end up there though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh it's my first choice as well.Hopefully we will!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was down to either Leeds or Birmingham and I told myself I'd decide based on how the applicant days went and whether I could see myself studying/living there and being happy with it. Went to Leeds first and I've got to say I absolutely hated it, which is a shame as I really wanted to like it there but I just found the whole place really gloomy, the facilities for chem eng were really old and the whole building looked like it was falling to bits and the tutors seemed quite distant and standoffish. Such a huge contrast to Birmingham - the moment I got there I immediately liked the feel and look of the place but the biggest factor was that all the tutors were very welcoming and involved. And you could tell the students I spoke to were all happy to be there whereas at Leeds most of them seemed despondent. I could definitely see myself living there too.

How about you? Are you going to Birmingham too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow!! That's quite shocking about Leeds..
Well I've received my offers and Birmingham is one of them- but I haven't visited yet. Im hoping i will be able to go to the applicant visit days to make the final decision. So its difficult to tell for me what stands out until thats done to be honest.

That's great to hear about how encouraging it was there! What is it you want to study?
Yeah, the applicant days are the best way of figuring out firsthand if a place is right for you in my opinion. If you can't see yourself there for 3 years and being happy by the end of it then don't bother.

I'm doing chemical engineering. What have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, the applicant days are the best way of figuring out firsthand if a place is right for you in my opinion. If you can't see yourself there for 3 years and being happy by the end of it then don't bother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah true.

Ah, okay, ive applied for Psychology! How are you feeling about the whole thing? Nervous, excited?
Original post by Emily.97
Yeah true.

Ah, okay, ive applied for Psychology! How are you feeling about the whole thing? Nervous, excited?

Very excited, not at all nervous. I actually can't wait to go off and do something. Going to uni is sort of a fresh start so I'm looking forward to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very excited, not at all nervous. I actually can't wait to go off and do something. Going to uni is sort of a fresh start so I'm looking forward to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to hear!!
Anyone decided on accommodation yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm thinking of firming Birmingham for Law and am going to an applicant day at the end of February. I wanted to ask whether many parents were there too or if it was mainly just students? Thanks :smile:
Original post by maarg13
Hey, I'm thinking of firming Birmingham for Law and am going to an applicant day at the end of February. I wanted to ask whether many parents were there too or if it was mainly just students? Thanks :smile:

I've been to all the applicant days for all my 5 offers and I can say there's generally a lot of parents in my experience, with the odd 5 (sometimes less) without. Personally, I prefer to go by myself and I think having parents with you makes you less inclined to actually interact with other students and everyone else there, thus lessening the experience. Not to mention, it's always cringey when certain parents are more interested than their kid and are constantly talking over them/for them.

Obviously, if you really need the moral support then have your parents with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 997
Going on the economics applicant day this wednesday.
Really want to see all the accommodation options but the main activities for applicants start at 11, while the accommodation bus tours ('to shackleton at the vale') are '9.30-15.30 with 3/4 buses on a constant rotation'. unsure whether that is the length of the tour or if you will be able to return sooner for activities.

anyone been on an applicant day and know what the accommodation viewing programme is like?
Original post by David_B
Really want to see all the accommodation options but the main activities for applicants start at 11, while the accommodation bus tours ('to shackleton at the vale') are '9.30-15.30 with 3/4 buses on a constant rotation'. unsure whether that is the length of the tour or if you will be able to return sooner for activities.

anyone been on an applicant day and know what the accommodation viewing programme is like?

I haven't been to an applicant day yet, but the registration email said accommodation tours will last about an hour
Original post by David_B

The accommodation tour isn't much - they just take you to a showroom of a bedroom and the showroom of a kitchen (both are for Shackleton) and that was it. There was only me and one other student with his dad as everyone else opted not to go. Think if you want a proper tour it's best to go on the actual accommodation open day in April.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending