The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2015 Applications FAQ + Chat Thread + Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rkhan57
Have you firmed too? I have always liked Birmingham and the reputation kind of swayed me I think, I put Leeds as my insurance wbu?

I am going to just waiting on the outcome of one more choice as don't want to reject it lol. Gonna insure Sheffield
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Husnara_a
I've applied for Jarratt Hall, Pritchatt's twice, Oakley and Ashcroft. Have you had a chance to visit the accommodation? Only the Vale was open on my applicant's day, which sucked. :frown:

Oo similar ones to me! I haven't had the chance to look :/ I just applied by looking at price, online specifications of the accommodation etc. Really wish I had the chance to look at all the accommodation :/
Original post by rkhan57
I applied for Jarratt hall twice too! Then mason as my 3rd and Oakley court as my fourth :-)

Original post by goodwinning
I've got Victoria hall, Ashcroft, Oakley court, maple bank twice and tennis courts. Used to have mason on there but I changed it.

Some of the same ones that I've applied to :smile: Have any of you seen the accommodation? I haven't had the chance to, so really want to know what people think of it and stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some of the same ones that I've applied to :smile: Have any of you seen the accommodation? I haven't had the chance to, so really want to know what people think of it and stuff :smile:
Original post by neal95
No worries! Yeah it is, I am thinking to insure Sheffield. Are you thinking of going to any other applicant days?

Probably not as a lot of the applicant days for my insurance choices are on days I have mock exams :frown: What about you?
Original post by Kav123
Probably not as a lot of the applicant days for my insurance choices are on days I have mock exams :frown: What about you?

Nope, I only visited Birmingham as I definitely knew that would e my firm and am going to insure Sheffield as that is my second favourite choice by a country mile XD
Original post by Kav123

I've only seen Shackleton on the applicant visit day but I'm planning to go to the accommodation open day so I can have a look around at the different places properly. I'd like to see it for myself before I decide which one I'm going to because I don't think I could choose somewhere to live for a year without getting a feel for the place and if I'd be happy there.

Is anyone else going to the accommodation open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sampennington
Hi, I have an unconditional offer to study English at UoB :smile: Not yet 100% sure whether I will be firming it, but looking fairly likely at the moment!

Hey, that's great! Well done! :biggrin: May be seeing you around in September then!
Original post by Emily.97
Oo, okay. You want to study Psychology too, right?

Yeah, you're right, I'm reluctant to firm or insurance anything until I've been there to be honest. Not entirely sure I'll be comfortable living in a massive city compared to somewhere smaller like Lincoln, but there are so many factors to consider, aren't there?
:smile:

Yes, i am. :smile: yeah, travel cost is a major one for me. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rkhan57
I applied for jarrat and Oakley too, how did the vale look and are you from Birmingham ?

I didn't see it because it's too far from the campus and no, I'm from Chester. A 2 hours drive. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LucyMay1996
Hey, that's great! Well done! :biggrin: May be seeing you around in September then!

Thanks, and you! Indeed :biggrin:
Original post by JMuslimah
Do not apply to live in Pritchatts House--it's gross! Ashcroft is nice though

Is it? :/ i've only seen the online virtual tour thing, the rooms look okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1391
Applied for MSCi Psychology and Psychological Practice but was offered BSc instead 😯, (congrats to those who did it's only like 5 people! )

I'll most likely accept, and i've heard if you do exceptionally well in the first 2 years they'll consider transfering you to the MSCi? Can anybody confirm?...
Original post by VJ101
Applied for MSCi Psychology and Psychological Practice but was offered BSc instead ������, (congrats to those who did it's only like 5 people! )

I'll most likely accept, and i've heard if you do exceptionally well in the first 2 years they'll consider transfering you to the MSCi? Can anybody confirm?...

It's not that they'll transfer you, it just means you have a greater chance of being accepted if you apply for it. On my applicant day I was told it's better to apply for the BSc initially anyway, because then you can figure out whether the course/career route is right for you and if you're right for it.
Hey guys, could you help me out a little...I just got my offer for Psychology (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but they ask me for maths on my state exam and I specifically said in my application that I'll be taking Psychology instead (u cant take maths on my profile...weird educational system in my country). So I emailed them explaining the situation and basically what I want to know is

can they withdraw their offer once they've made it? I dont expect them to (my friends have been in similar situations with other universities and they simply changed the conditions on track) but now I'm just really anxious about this whole thing.

And what's the deal with the Msc and Bsc? I applied for psych and practice and got an offer for psych instead? So is that a good thing or...?
Reply 1394
Original post by amberskye
It's not that they'll transfer you, it just means you have a greater chance of being accepted if you apply for it. On my applicant day I was told it's better to apply for the BSc initially anyway, because then you can figure out whether the course/career route is right for you and if you're right for it.

I guess that makes more sense, thanks.
do they invite you to the applicant day or do we have to register? (How was it?)
Original post by VJ101
Applied for MSCi Psychology and Psychological Practice but was offered BSc instead 😯, (congrats to those who did it's only like 5 people! )

Original post by amberskye

If they told you that on the applicant day that's really strange. General consensus is that it's better off applying for MSci to start with because it's usually just one grade different, people get in missing their offers etc, and its really easy to switch to BSc half way through your degree because obviously there's no requirements for that. Also, in order to switch TO masters after second year, you have to be getting consistently over 60% I believe, or if you want to switch earlier you have to be getting really impressive marks. Whereas if you're initially on the masters programme to STAY on the masters course the grade requirements are lower. So it's easier to stay on it than it is to get on it, and easier to change to BSc than it is to change to MSCi.

Otherwise, they're quite good in most courses about switching people up to masters as long as you have the grades. But you'll have to specifically go to them and ask rather than them coming to you and saying you're suitable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Husnara_a
Is it? :/ i've only seen the online virtual tour thing, the rooms look okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Prichatt's house isn't that bad, the only thing to take note of is the 'Global community' thing they're starting in Prichatts House. So depends if you want to live with mainly UK students or a more equal mix of UK and international

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VJ101
I guess that makes more sense, thanks.
do they invite you to the applicant day or do we have to register? (How was it?)

I think I got an email and then you choose which day. It was good, but for me it wasn't vital in making my decision because I'd already firmed Birmingham
Original post by chloebassett23
If they told you that on the applicant day that's really strange. General consensus is that it's better off applying for MSci to start with because it's usually just one grade different, people get in missing their offers etc, and its really easy to switch to BSc half way through your degree because obviously there's no requirements for that. Also, in order to switch TO masters after second year, you have to be getting consistently over 60% I believe, or if you want to switch earlier you have to be getting really impressive marks. Whereas if you're initially on the masters programme to STAY on the masters course the grade requirements are lower. So it's easier to stay on it than it is to get on it, and easier to change to BSc than it is to change to MSCi.

Otherwise, they're quite good in most courses about switching people up to masters as long as you have the grades. But you'll have to specifically go to them and ask rather than them coming to you and saying you're suitable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it was only one of the student reps so she may have been misinformed
Original post by chloebassett23
Prichatt's house isn't that bad, the only thing to take note of is the 'Global community' thing they're starting in Prichatts House. So depends if you want to live with mainly UK students or a more equal mix of UK and international

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i heard of that. I love meeting new people! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending