The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2015 Applications FAQ + Chat Thread + Offers

Scroll to see replies

Hello Grassntai, I think the best thing to do is contact the undergraduate office for Economics and ask for their opinion. Eleanor (Second year student at the University of Birmingham)

Original post by grassntai
how easy it to change courses after getting an offer/results?

say my offer was AAB for accounting and finance but I exceed that with an AAA, how likely is it that they'll let me change to economics?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by chall233
I have a conditional offer for 2015/16 at Birmingham and I am really unsure about accommodation! I want ensuite and self-catered, which I am aware is rare. I would also ideally like to live on the Vale. I know basically leaves me with Mason, which I am ok with, it's just i've heard some not so great things about the people there (which I know may not be true) and I thought the rooms seem q small when I visited. I would have loved to do Tennis Court ensuite but they are not available for this year:frown: Honestly the only thing stopping me going to TC is the idea of sharing a bathroom, is it bad or am I overreacting??? Help!!

Hello Chall233, I am a second year student at the University of Birmingham. I can completely relate to this. I was adamant I had to have an en-suite. I ended up in tennis courts in a shared bathroom and it was absolutely fine. The thought of sharing a bathroom really worried me but its honestly completely fine. I shared with 4 other girls and I never once had to wait to have a shower or use the bathroom. :smile: if you have any questions about anything else please don't hesitate to ask me :smile: Eleanor
Original post by grassntai
how easy it to change courses after getting an offer/results?

say my offer was AAB for accounting and finance but I exceed that with an AAA, how likely is it that they'll let me change to economics?

It depends on their numbers a lot. If the course is full, the course is full and they're unlikely to take you regardless. There may also be a little bit of a 'why didn't you just apply to economics in the first place?' attitude. I've never known anyone do what you're describing, but it would be worth inquiring. If not, there's a period of two weeks at the beginning of term where you can transfer course if you don't like it, changed your mind etc. So you would be able to do it then probably.
Original post by emilyy303
I want to urge anyone who receives an unconditional from Birmingham to PLEASE think through thoroughly whether this university is really right for you. I received my unconditional last year and was struggling with my studies and didn't think i had any hope of getting AAB (which was my offer from everywhere else) so I though hey, Birmingham's a decent uni, I'll go there and I can relax about everything and it'll all be great. I'm 3 weeks into my time here and I absolutely hate it, I'm miserable here for several reasons and I just know that this uni isn't for me, I walk around with a gut instinct that this isn't where I belong or where I can ever feel happy...the more frustrating thing is that I did in fact get AAA in the end, so I could have got in anywhere else. :frown:

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people love it here and Birmingham is a well-respected university. But please, don't fall into the unconditional security trap like I did and put it as your firm unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure Bham would've been your first choice anyway.

Remember, universities are businesses; they're not giving you an unconditional because they're being nice or caring to you, they're doing it because they want to trap you into going there and giving them your money.

I'm seriously considering dropping out of university this year to take a gap year and reapply for a different uni next year, probably Manchester as it's much closer to home for me and I feel I'd be a lot happier there, but I'm not sure whether dropping out is really an option because of money :\ PLEASE don't get yourself into the same situation I did, I ignored everyone who questioned whether Bham was really the best choice because I was too scared to consider the alternative. :frown:

edit: also something I forgot to mention, in my time here the vast majority of people I've met also received unconditional offers. So it feels like...does anyone here really want to be here because they liked the uni? Or just for the same reasons I came here?

Hello Emily3303, I'm really sorry to hear that you feel this way and that you've had this experience. I am a second year student at the University Of Birmingham and completely agree with what you're saying about how it's important to make sure you make the right decision. I think this applies to all universities and that prospective students really do need to consider all their options and take the time to make the right decision that's right for you. I really hope things get better for you, remember there are lots of support service available such as the student mentor scheme and also Nightline which is a confidential listening service. Never feel like you're alone if you're struggling. Best wishes, Eleanor
Original post by jedanselemyia
Perfect!
I'm excited to start uni :biggrin:

I am too, but also scared :frown:
Original post by Emily.97
I am too, but also scared :frown:

Me too! :frown:
About making friends and all that.
Original post by Emily.97
I struggle to make friends and am quite shy, so I'm slightly worried about not coming out of my shell. I think I'm also a bit worried that I'm gonna feel obliged to go out clubbing or something, which isn't something I'm drawn to. Say, all of my housemates wanted to do that: if I said no, I think I may come across as a bit..I don't know :/. Do you know what I mean?

Same here. I'm quite nervous too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jedanselemyia
Me too! :frown:
About making friends and all that.

Yeah. Same here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eleanor_94
Hello Chihiro, I am a second year student at the University of Birmingham. During freshers week loads of activities are put on and there are just as many non-drinking activities as there are drinking activities. For example during my freshers week there were free trips to the sea life centre, out for meals etc. You really don't need to worry if you're not into clubbing because a lot of people aren't and they'll be plenty of opportunity to meet people in day time activities. Also, with regards to making friends you have to remember that very few people come to university and know lots of people here already. Absolutely everyone is in the same position and you'll make friends in no time, so don't let that worry you :biggrin: if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me, Eleanor :smile:

Thank you very much! I like clubbing but maybe not every day haha :smile: Will do!
Hey everyone! i just want to say hi :smile: i will most probably be studying political science and social policy at UoB next year. Is anyone else studying the same course as me?
Original post by gideon123
Hey everyone! i just want to say hi :smile: i will most probably be studying political science and social policy at UoB next year. Is anyone else studying the same course as me?

I'm doing political science:smile:
Birmingham is my insurance offer - AAB for English Lit! Anyone else similar?
Original post by Bonanza
Birmingham is my insurance offer - AAB for English Lit! Anyone else similar?

Not similar but I do have conditional offer for English language and literature. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wincastle
Not similar but I do have conditional offer for English language and literature. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps I'll see you there then! Good luck!
I applied for the War Studies course at the university of Birmingham, but I'm now almost certain I won't get the grades required, I might be one grade below what my conditional offer was asking for, would the university show leniency or would I be automatically rejected if I fail to make the grades?
Original post by Husuma24
I applied for the War Studies course at the university of Birmingham, but I'm now almost certain I won't get the grades required, I might be one grade below what my conditional offer was asking for, would the university show leniency or would I be automatically rejected if I fail to make the grades?

Btw my conditional offer is ABB but I'm bound to get ABC

War studies is really under-subscribed so provided you get somewhere near your offer they'll likely take you
Original post by chloebassett23
War studies is really under-subscribed so provided you get somewhere near your offer they'll likely take you

How under subscribed? Do you know how many people applied for the course this year? Sorry, I know that sounds like a stupid question but I'm really desperate for some answers right now!
How under subscribed? Do you know how many people applied for the course this year? Sorry, I know that sounds like a stupid question but I'm really desperate for some answers right now!

No, no one apart from the department know how many people applied this year! It can hold 25 and there's only 19 people doing war studies in my year. They're starting to say that the course might not be financially viable anymore because of how few people want to do it, that under subscribed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending