The Student Room Group

To move out or to stay at home...?

So im debating on what to do, stay at home or to move out for Uni. Theres pros and cons for both, but not sure what would be best.

If i stay at home, it would mean at least a 40 min train journey with trains each way and then 5 min walk to get to Uni. more money, would eat better.

And if i move for it, it would be a 5 min walk if that. but i would have the issue of money (like most) but also not liking who i stay with. would eat okay. easier to get study materials. have a better social life and easier to make and maintain friends as im there all the time.

Theres many more to both, but im all for going away for it as it would be a good life skill, as it would mean im getting on with my life instead of depending on my parents all the time with cooking etc. but then i dont know how i would cope with certain things.

I'm still a year or 2 away depending on what happens with a college application, so i have time to think but it would be good to have a good idea on what would be best. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Jay
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Move out. Soooo much you will learn. I have friends who regretted staying at home.

After lectures people will go in groups to wherever they want and do whatever, but you will have to worry about getting the train home every day. It will limit you so much, socially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
Move out. Soooo much you will learn. I have friends who regretted staying at home.

After lectures people will go in groups to wherever they want and do whatever, but you will have to worry about getting the train home every day. It will limit you so much, socially.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My thoughts exactly, and also i hate being on the train late on my own anyway, and read somewhere here that lectures etc can last till 9pm sometimes, which is a NOPE from me, as the area my family home is hasnt got the best reputation... but it seems to be getting better, but still. But im also think i'll regret not doing so too, as its such a good oportunity to do so, as when will i ever get it again? apart from when i can move out and properly live on my own with a paying job etc. But the main issue i have with moving is buying food, and if ill have enough, but ive been reading through the 'how much loan will you get' and it seems ill have about the same as everyone else would, so i shouldnt worry. but also people stealing food, how often does that happen? as i wouldnt want that to happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Jay018
My thoughts exactly, and also i hate being on the train late on my own anyway, and read somewhere here that lectures etc can last till 9pm sometimes, which is a NOPE from me, as the area my family home is hasnt got the best reputation... but it seems to be getting better, but still. But im also think i'll regret not doing so too, as its such a good oportunity to do so, as when will i ever get it again? apart from when i can move out and properly live on my own with a paying job etc. But the main issue i have with moving is buying food, and if ill have enough, but ive been reading through the 'how much loan will you get' and it seems ill have about the same as everyone else would, so i shouldnt worry. but also people stealing food, how often does that happen? as i wouldnt want that to happen.

Move out, Its a brilliant experience and everyone is in the same boat and will be having similar worries. Even if you hate the people you live with in your first year there will be parties going on in other dorms and you'll meet other people who live on campus, having said that the whole of my halls got on amazingly, we all went out partying together, put money in for essentials like toilet roll, milk etc, did group meals, and none of us would have ever stole food from each other. Most people move into a shard house for their second year so you can choose to live with the people you got on with most from your first year :smile:.
Original post by xlizx
Move out, Its a brilliant experience and everyone is in the same boat and will be having similar worries. Even if you hate the people you live with in your first year there will be parties going on in other dorms and you'll meet other people who live on campus, having said that the whole of my halls got on amazingly, we all went out partying together, put money in for essentials like toilet roll, milk etc, did group meals, and none of us would have ever stole food from each other. Most people move into a shard house for their second year so you can choose to live with the people you got on with most from your first year :smile:.

Yeah, i guess thats right. I did think about getting a house/ flat share with people on my course in the second year, as it 'can' sometimes be cheaper and also I then know I'll like the people I'm with. But getting togther and grouping up to by things is what i had in mind, as it works out cheaper, and you wont have to bother people all the time asking to use some of their milk etc. and also group meals are a great way to get to know someone. So hopefully the people who im put with wont be asses and do stupid things, at a guess most wont but there will be a few who will do stupid things. but i guess thats all part of it all...
Original post by Jay018
So im debating on what to do, stay at home or to move out for Uni. Theres pros and cons for both, but not sure what would be best.

If i stay at home, it would mean at least a 40 min train journey with trains each way and then 5 min walk to get to Uni. more money, would eat better.

And if i move for it, it would be a 5 min walk if that. but i would have the issue of money (like most) but also not liking who i stay with. would eat okay. easier to get study materials. have a better social life and easier to make and maintain friends as im there all the time.

Theres many more to both, but im all for going away for it as it would be a good life skill, as it would mean im getting on with my life instead of depending on my parents all the time with cooking etc. but then i dont know how i would cope with certain things.

I'm still a year or 2 away depending on what happens with a college application, so i have time to think but it would be good to have a good idea on what would be best. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Jay

If you want to take a full part in university life and staying at home means you can't go on nights out or stay for society meetings or sports because either your parents want you home early or the last train is early then I would live out.
Original post by jelly1000
If you want to take a full part in university life and staying at home means you can't go on nights out or stay for society meetings or sports because either your parents want you home early or the last train is early then I would live out.

Thats very true, and knowing my parents, they would want me back by a certain time, and with Uni, it wouldnt really matter, as long as im able to get back in time to sleep for the next day etc. And i would guess last train would be fairly late being in London, but haven't a clue about the late trains XD
Original post by Jay018
Thats very true, and knowing my parents, they would want me back by a certain time, and with Uni, it wouldnt really matter, as long as im able to get back in time to sleep for the next day etc. And i would guess last train would be fairly late being in London, but haven't a clue about the late trains XD

Depends where abouts in London you are! I live in London and there is absolutley no public transport after half 12 within walking distance of my house which isn't conducive to nights out at all!
Depends where abouts in London you are! I live in London and there is absolutley no public transport after half 12 within walking distance of my house which isn't conducive to nights out at all!

Well im south, and live right near a bus stop can hear the horrid squealing brakes when they stop and also right beside the train line, and tbh, i dont hear anything after 12 or so. So wouldnt be good for me. If i did go out anyway I'd want to be back by 10/ 11 so i can sleep (im in love with sleep :P)
Original post by Jay018
Well im south, and live right near a bus stop can hear the horrid squealing brakes when they stop and also right beside the train line, and tbh, i dont hear anything after 12 or so. So wouldnt be good for me. If i did go out anyway I'd want to be back by 10/ 11 so i can sleep (im in love with sleep :P)

Oh I do too but at least with uni your unlikely to have 9ams every day so you can sleep in the morning :biggrin:
Unless money really is a problem then I would suggest moving out. It's a great opportunity to start becoming more independent :yy:
Oh I do too but at least with uni your unlikely to have 9ams every day so you can sleep in the morning :biggrin:

well that depends really, as teaching can be quite packed from what i heard loosely.... XD but it would also mean no 6am wake ups to get ready in time to get to uni for 9. as i went to college down the road from one of the unis and i need to be up at that time to just get there in time! And im not going to be happy enough with staying up late doing course work then having to wake early to get back. and work on the train is a no go, as they get really packed, as they are both commuter trains to Victoria and also Reading.
Original post by Jay018
well that depends really, as teaching can be quite packed from what i heard loosely.... XD but it would also mean no 6am wake ups to get ready in time to get to uni for 9. as i went to college down the road from one of the unis and i need to be up at that time to just get there in time! And im not going to be happy enough with staying up late doing course work then having to wake early to get back. and work on the train is a no go, as they get really packed, as they are both commuter trains to Victoria and also Reading.

what course are you doing?
what course are you doing?

Right now im not, but i plan on doing Primary Teaching with QTS
Reply 14

I wouldnt be so sure on that. It depends which couse you are doing. I had 9ams everyday in first year. Not that I went to them :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jay018

It seems that you haves kinda of answered your own question you don't like the train at night go in to halls no late trains at home. Can't stay I till 9.00 halls yes you have to buy food as for steeling food I really doesn't happen often in uni we shard milk and butter (as that's what people tend to take) if you finished it of you bought more. You will be a bit poorer but so is everyone. Also think of the benefits you can eat whenever you wan't not at a set mealtime . You can stay out as long as you like without mum or dad worrying . Also you don't have to sand on a cold and wet platform while weighting for a train. Asp what if a train is decade or cancelled . Really go in to halls
Original post by New- Emperor
It seems that you haves kinda of answered your own question you don't like the train at night go in to halls no late trains at home. Can't stay I till 9.00 halls yes you have to buy food as for steeling food I really doesn't happen often in uni we shard milk and butter (as that's what people tend to take) if you finished it of you bought more. You will be a bit poorer but so is everyone. Also think of the benefits you can eat whenever you wan't not at a set mealtime . You can stay out as long as you like without mum or dad worrying . Also you don't have to sand on a cold and wet platform while weighting for a train. Asp what if a train is decade or cancelled . Really go in to halls

Yeah i guess i have, but the main issue holding me back is just thinking about it, and how my anxiety is about it, and I'm a year off going! Was this ever a factor for you? Butt with the food thing, i just imagine being put with slobs and them just taking food, so i guess if we make ground rules it 'shouldn't'appen. But I would have about 60-65 quid a week to get food with, and i might get a small amount of money from my parents too every month but it wouldnt be huge, only amout £40 if that. And as for nice stuff, i would just keep that in my room. But that would be a plus, being in a nice warm and dry dorm room up til the point i would need to leave to get to lectures etc.
Original post by Jay018
Right now im not, but i plan on doing Primary Teaching with QTS

yeah that might have more hours than some courses especially when on placement.
yeah that might have more hours than some courses especially when on placement.

Yeah, also another reason im aprehensive to go is being religious, and how people would react to me going out every Sunday, and also because I'd need to go somewhere thats close by somewhere people meet of my religion. I've found places that i know of that theres somewhere close by. Its just finding the right place for me in both aspects. BUt i know that its stupid to be offended by what others think about it all
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jay018
Yeah, also another reason im aprehensive to go is being religious, and how people would react to me going out every Sunday, and also because I'd need to go somewhere thats close by somewhere people meet of my religion. I've found places that i know of that theres somewhere close by. Its just finding the right place for me in both aspects.

I doubt they will mind, at my uni there are thriving religious groups who worship together

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending