The Student Room Group

worried about university

im scared about being all on my own at university. i'm really close with my dad and i've never been away from him for more than a few days. i have applied to one local uni but i also dont know how id do if i stayed at home
Original post by Anonymous
im scared about being all on my own at university. i'm really close with my dad and i've never been away from him for more than a few days. i have applied to one local uni but i also dont know how id do if i stayed at home

It's scary but it's part of growing up :smile:

You'll find people that you'll like at uni and you won't be alone all the time. You will be alone sometimes - we all are. I go to a university and our campus is a ghost town during the weekends. Yes, it's hard to get used to this and you'll miss your family but it's alright. It truly is part of growing up. Plus, it's not like you'll never see your family again, you can absolutely go visit them and stay in touch!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard

You'll find people that you'll like at uni and you won't be alone all the time. You will be alone sometimes - we all are. I go to a university and our campus is a ghost town during the weekends. Yes, it's hard to get used to this and you'll miss your family but it's alright. It truly is part of growing up. Plus, it's not like you'll never see your family again, you can absolutely go visit them and stay in touch!

Thank you so much. I get now that I just have to learn to adapt to it.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

Going to university can be a daunting thing to do, but just remember where it'll take you, the things you'll do, and the people you'll meet! There's so much good that can come from your time there, and while it may be a lot to adjust to, you can absolutely make the best out of it.

It's great that you're close with your dad, but this might make it tough to be away from home at first. Have you tried talking to him about this? He may be able to tell you his perspective, and you can plan when you'll see each other next so you can have something to look forward to!

If it turns out that staying at or closer to home is a better idea, then that is okay too. In the end, all that matters is making the best decision for yourself!

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad BA (Hons) Student
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard

How is a university dead on the weekend, where does everybody go?
Original post by Laffer
How is a university dead on the weekend, where does everybody go?

We have a lot of commuters at my university so there are just less people on the weekend, and for those of us who live at campus, we wake up very late and then we either have a lazy day where we don't leave our flats or we leave campus for our day plans and only come back at night for the night plans!

Hi there

I was also really afraid of moving to University before first year. However, it really is not too bad. Whilst you will have more responsibilities and independence, it allows you more freedom to discover what you like and do things that you enjoy.

Many people will be in the same position as you, take your time to settle in, and know that it is always possible to return home (I do so frequently during reading week and term breaks). Remind yourself why that University interests you and you will adapt to the new environment and meet a lot of new people. It may seem overwhelming at first, but University is a really good experience and a chance for you to grow.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey!

I totally get where you're coming from, and it's completely normal to feel a bit anxious about heading off to university. Transitioning to a new environment can be a mix of excitement and apprehension. First off, it's great that you've applied to a local university. That could be a fantastic option as it allows you to be close to your family while still experiencing the independence that university life offers.

If you end up going away to a university, know that it's a common concern for many students. The first few weeks might be an adjustment, but universities usually have excellent support systems in place. There are countless opportunities to make new friends, join clubs, and engage in various activities that will help you build a new social circle.

Consider reaching out to the university's counseling or student services beforehand. They can provide valuable information on the resources available for students dealing with homesickness or the challenges of adjusting to university life. Many universities also have mentorship programs or student ambassadors (like me!) who are there to help answer questions, offer advice, and make your transition smoother.

It's important to keep an open mind and remember that this is an incredible opportunity for personal growth and new experiences. Take it one step at a time, and don't hesitate to lean on the support systems available. University is not just about academics; it's a journey that shapes you in various ways. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns—I'm here to help!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hey there,

I understand how scary it can be to leave home and be on your own at university, especially if you have a close relationship with your dad. It's completely normal to feel anxious about this big transition. As an international student who has gone through similar experiences, let me assure you that it's a journey filled with growth and new opportunities.

Being away from your dad for an extended period of time might feel challenging at first, but it can also be a chance for you to discover your independence and build your own support system. Universities often have resources and support services specifically designed to help students adjust to campus life and navigate any challenges that may arise.

Remember, it's okay to feel scared or uncertain about this new chapter, but try to embrace it as an opportunity for personal growth and self-discovery. You'll be surprised at how resilient and capable you are. Don't hesitate to seek support from the university community and make the most out of your university experience.

And the last but not the least - you can still visit your family very very often, as in university you have much more free time than at school :smile:

Good luck!
Ilya

Hi,

Speaking as someone who was terrified to move out of home to go to university, I can honestly say it was the best decision I ever made.

Although it is an incredibly daunting experience, it really does help you grow as a person as the independence you suddenly have is at times scary but also so amazing. You'll also make friends for life living in accommodation as the girls I lived with are now my bestfriends and we do everything together. It's really nice to be surrounded by people who understand what you are going through, which your family at home won't fully understand.

I'm not going to lie, it can feel a little lonely at times in halls, especially if your flatmates have gone home for the weekend but having some alone time as times is actually quite nice and you start to make a little life for yourself away from your family home.

Homesickness can hit you a bit in the first couple of weeks but once you get settled in and get to know your flatmates and course friends, the homesickness really does subside and you start to feel like yourself again.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd-year children's nursing student

Hi,

I completely understand that moving to university can be nerve-wracking, especially when it means moving away from family. It's completely normal to feel anxious about such a big transition. I faced similar feelings before moving to university, and it turned out to be an incredible decision I am now even staying to do my master's!

I decided to move to the University of Chester, so I am only around one hour away from home but for me, it was a big step at the time. But one thing that really helped me was staying connected with my dad through FaceTime, calls, and texts, and it made the distance feel smaller. I still do this now even as a master's student I enjoy updating my dad on what I have been up to, and what I have learned!

Remember, there's also the option of living at home and commuting to a university that has a suitable course for you if that provides you with more comfort and support. However, I am sure that your dad will always be there for you, no matter where you are.

Starting university is a chance to discover yourself, make friends, and gain valuable skills. Embrace the excitement of the unknown, knowing that there are other options if things do not work out the way you expect. But I'm confident that you'll navigate this chapter and figure out what is best for you, just like I did, and you will be so proud of yourself when looking back and I’m sure your dad will be too!

Good luck,
Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
(edited 4 months ago)

Hello.

I agree with you, for me I absolutely refused the idea of going to uni, because it meant I would need to leave my family, friends, college and venture into a new life adventure. However, I realised moving away was the right thing to do in order for me to grow as a person, to learn how to navigate life on my own terms. So I gave it a shot and of course, It was very terrifying, but I have no regrets. It is scary, but you can do this.

My advice would be, go to uni, try it out, join societies, partake in group activities, talk to people and try new places. It may or may not be fore you, but at least you can say that you tried.

I wish you the best in your new venture.

Hassa, Liverpool Hope University Ambassador

Hello!

Moving away from university can be a daunting thing, as you not only move away from your close friends and family but also the structure and environment you are used to. I think the choice of moving away from uni comes down to you at the end. You should try to consider what factors are the most important for you in this respect, such as commute, distance from home, accommodation, etc. You may find that the commute to certain universities may be a bit challenging where you are coming from and it would be better for you to choose a different university with a better transportation connection.

It is also possible that other universities may simply be too far away from home for you and it is completely fine to feel like this. If a university is too far from your hometown, you may find it hard or costly to go home for a short break maybe on the weekends and if you are someone who prefers to be closer to family this may be difficult for you.

Accommodation is also important as well as financing, if you were to stay closer to home, you could stay at home and commute to school when needed. This may also help with things like cooking, doing laundry and others that you would be solely responsible for while at university away from home.

However, going away from university is an experience in itself as you can explore new parts of the county and meet new people from all over the world. This could help you come out of your shell and discover new parts of yourself you did not know about. Nonetheless, do not feel bad if you do decide to stay closer to home for uni, you can still meet new people there and if you believe it is necessary to maintain your mental health and your grades at university, then do that. No one judges anyone for staying close to home.

Goodluck with your endeavours!

Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Glory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending