The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
I AM !! Glad I finally find someone going to Allen Hall, it was about time really !! When are you moving in exactly ? I'm on the 14th ( flying on the 9th from Paris , stay a while at my cousin's in Bolton or something and finally get to allen hall on the 14th ) !! Can't wait to be there ! Cheers
( are u a fan of lost ? )
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Tell me about it dude, can't find anyone else! That's awesome, i'm moving in on 15th I think. I can't wait at all - Fallowfield is such an awesome campus. What course you doing?

So i'm guessing by your flag that you're French?? That's cool, long way to come for uni! Look forward to having a pint in the bar :biggrin:
Reply 3
P.S. I am actually addicted to Lost lol, I watch it religiously. What a show! Are you a fan?? Every tuesday i'm going to be nicking the lounge TV in Allen Hall to watch it!
Reply 4
I'm doing international business, finance and economics ! I just received a letter from allen hall saying it was actually the smallest hall with only 120 students entailing a strong, comfortable atmosphere etc... might explain why it's hard to find some allen hallers ! and seems like we're gonna be drinking and clubbing a lot during the freshers week !! can't wait ( 've never been in a club in england , nor have i ever been drinking there for that matter ) !

tchoos

PS: Well seems like we both gonna be around when lost's on, though we're probably late in France ( thanks god i can download the episodes in their original version ) !
Ps 2 : yep I'm french, originally from Congo and the USA though
Reply 5
I was in Allen Hall from 1999-2004 - very good hall, shown by how many people come back in their third year - I wouldn't worry about it been full of non Freshers though. It's probably a 75:25 split at max!

The fact it is the smallest hall is in IMO good as you get to know everyone well, it's not like one of the bigger halls where you may meet somebody in Freshers Week and never see them again!

Food used to be pretty good as well, the bar was very good - was voted the 2nd best bar in the whole of Manchester by listeners of Galaxy radio in 2003. At one point we had 120 different spirits with most being apprix 50-60p per shot - not sure the prices of the bar these days as it's a little while since I went back

The rooms are a very good size, probably the biggest of any halls. Bathrooms are shared between 12 people with 3 showers - but everybody wakes up at different times so you never have to queue, in fact IU only queued about 5 times in my time there and I was on the one floor that only had 2 showers!!

Any other questions just le me know :smile:
Reply 6
God it does look awesome !! Now I got no hesitancy about it , only 6 days and that's it !! is there any competetion between the different halls ( i mean sport competition ) !! might sound stupid but i always thought twas some kinda harry potter thing being a british student ...
Reply 7
Cool, glad to hear you're looking forward to it, you'll have a great time!

Sports wise there is competition between the halls, Allen Hall have traditionally been good at hockey - it's mixed teams! AH used to be good at football when it was all male hall but it's not the strongest sport anymore! Netball is also played

For other sports you'll need to speak to the JCR President or the sports secretary and they'll enter the hall into the inter hall tournament assuming of course you can get a team together!

Allen Hall is a world recorder holder - they broke the record for the The Longest Line of Dancing Drag Queens - each year the JCR organise a drag party, more popular than it sounds! lol
Reply 8
dkps_2000
Allen Hall is a world recorder holder - they broke the record for the The Longest Line of Dancing Drag Queens - each year the JCR organise a drag party, more popular than it sounds! lol

Sounds like my kinda party! Hahah seriously, can't wait! I'm up for a bit of sport too, hockey might be fun!
Reply 9
im not sure but i think my m8 diarmuid (jus call him durm!lol) is stayin in allen hall!hes doin medicine and honest to god hes one of the most sound people you will ever meet!seriousley, seek him out!he said u guys at allen have your own internal freshers or summat with what i can only describe as the single greatest idea of modern times- the shag tag party.he speaks french and tagarlock for you overseas students an all!lolul all luv him, hava gud one and visit me in chandos anytime!lol, durms mate, slingsby!
Reply 10
Woah Shag Tag sounds a bit crazy! Hahaha
Moving up on the 15th I expect! Glad there are other people gonna be there...

Latest

Trending

Trending