The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Allen Court or St. Vincent's Place?

Hi, I'm debating whether to apply for accomodation at Allen Court or St.Vincent's Place. St. Vincent's Place is cheaper and I prefer that the showers have a door rather than a curtain but I've heard it was exclusively international students and only recently they're allowing home students too and the rooms are smaller. Generally, I've heard city accomodation is mostly international students and majority of people are applying to Ranmoor/Endcliffe. I prefer the look of city accomodation though and was wondering if the social life is still good and why so many more people apply to Ranmoor/Endcliffe. Please could people share their experiences or what they've applied for?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm debating whether to apply for accomodation at Allen Court or St.Vincent's Place. St. Vincent's Place is cheaper and I prefer that the showers have a door rather than a curtain but I've heard it was exclusively international students and only recently they're allowing home students too and the rooms are smaller. Generally, I've heard city accomodation is mostly international students and majority of people are applying to Ranmoor/Endcliffe. I prefer the look of city accomodation though and was wondering if the social life is still good and why so many more people apply to Ranmoor/Endcliffe. Please could people share their experiences or what they've applied for?

Hi I can only relay what my son has mentioned. Basically where ever you decide to live you will meet and make friends with other students across all accommodation. I don’t know about St Vincent’s but Allen Court is fine, if you sticking to your budget. You may have more fun at Endcliffe or Ranmoor. I think a few nights are fun at the Edge if there is football on but most nights are spent at the SU. City seemed quieter but obvs nearer to clubs in town and Uni.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Anonymous

I went with St Vincents, the downside is its a 10 person flat. They have study rooms, and other facilities however that you dont get at allen court. Both had their pros and cons, apparently the walls are paper thin at allen so you can hear everything at all times. As you say though the rooms are smaller at St vincents, I didnt want to be with other young students as Im much older than most. Where as for younger students Ranmoor/Endcliffe is probably better.
Heyo, I've lived at Allen Court!

And yeah, the walls aren't that great for blocking sound. I'm a home student and I've found that there is still a fair amount of Home Students living in the halls.

And in Allen Court the flats have 6 rooms.

IMO, I think you hear more people applying to Ranmoor/Endecliffe since that's where the majority of Student Accommodation run by the uni is. However, there are a lot of independent companies around the area of Allen Court and St Vincents. Student Roost, Unite Students, IQ and a few smaller companies, if you're guaranteed to go to Sheffield it might be also worth to have a look at these options too
Original post by Cantfindmykeys
Hi I can only relay what my son has mentioned. Basically where ever you decide to live you will meet and make friends with other students across all accommodation. I don’t know about St Vincent’s but Allen Court is fine, if you sticking to your budget. You may have more fun at Endcliffe or Ranmoor. I think a few nights are fun at the Edge if there is football on but most nights are spent at the SU. City seemed quieter but obvs nearer to clubs in town and Uni.

My son had friends in both Allen Court, Endcliffe and Ranmoor. He was Ranmoor as he thought it would be a bit quieter. He then realised he preferred the livelier side of life 😂 and wished he’d been in Endcliffe. Whatever you choose you’ll have friends in all accommodation, it won’t be an issue.
Maybe stay in Endcliffe or Ranmoor first year as second and third you’ll live nearer to Uni?
Reply 5
Original post by ApplePiePanda
Heyo, I've lived at Allen Court!

And yeah, the walls aren't that great for blocking sound. I'm a home student and I've found that there is still a fair amount of Home Students living in the halls.

And in Allen Court the flats have 6 rooms.

IMO, I think you hear more people applying to Ranmoor/Endecliffe since that's where the majority of Student Accommodation run by the uni is. However, there are a lot of independent companies around the area of Allen Court and St Vincents. Student Roost, Unite Students, IQ and a few smaller companies, if you're guaranteed to go to Sheffield it might be also worth to have a look at these options too

Hi! I'm going to be living in Allen Court this upcoming semester and I was wondering if in the communal kitchen area that you share with your flatmates, does the uni/accom already provide a kettle or toaster for us to use or do we need to bring those ourselves?
Original post by mishmish44
Hi! I'm going to be living in Allen Court this upcoming semester and I was wondering if in the communal kitchen area that you share with your flatmates, does the uni/accom already provide a kettle or toaster for us to use or do we need to bring those ourselves?

They provided a kettle and toaster for us, but it would be a good idea for you to check your inventory list of what they provide. However, we found that our kettle was a bit rusty so we ended up buying a new kettle for the kitchen when we were living there.

Also they don't provide bins for your rooms (but there are bins in the kitchen).

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending