The Student Room Group

what are some Uni / freshers conversation starters?

I know popular ones are
what a levels you did
what course you doing

what other questions are there or thing to mention to get to know people if they are on your course especially

questions will be appreciated
I am an awkward silence person, sometimes it is best to break it

THANKS!:confused:
Reply 1
well you'll obviously ask them where they come from...
Original post by Alumna
I know popular ones are
what a levels you did
what course you doing

what other questions are there or thing to mention to get to know people if they are on your course especially

Where are you from? What are you studying? That's about it really and then you just make conversation.
Reply 3
Original post by nohaynada
Where are you from? What are you studying? That's about it really and then you just make conversation.

clearly i cant thats y i want tips
Just abandon the small talk and phatic conversation.

Just have a massive political rant, I'd appreciate it, even if you happened to be a Tory, much more interesting than a bunch of personal questions that the questioner doesn't give a **** about.

People seem obligated to have fake conversations, it's like writing a novel, show don't tell. They can learn about you through interesting conversation not a ****ty oral survey.

BAH! :mad:

EDIT: obviously you can talk about other things depending on what you're interested in
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Alumna
I know popular ones are
what a levels you did
what course you doing

I would hate it if someone asked me about my alevels but that's just me (probably)

I would just as stuff like what subject you studying? Where you from? Then find things to talk about you can really keep asking it'll just seem like an interview..

Find something you both like or dislike for example ask if they are excited about university or scared and then say how you feel and I'm sure you'll have a good convocation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alumna
clearly i cant thats y i want tips

What kind of tips? You can't just rehearse a conversation, you make a conversation based on the person you are talking to.
Reply 7
That was exactly what I had on the first day....can't find any common topics

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always seem to go right in and see what TV shows they like if they like games ect. I basically just try and see if we have any similar likes or hobbies and go off that. That way you're both enjoying the conversation when you start having a nerdgasm over LotR together.
Original post by Alumna
I know popular ones are
what a levels you did
what course you doing

Where are you from?
"Hey there. :sexface:"

Kidding... Just say what comes naturally.
Ask which sports they follow, if you like football then ask them what football team they support etc etc
Reply 12
Original post by Trustno1
I would hate it if someone asked me about my alevels but that's just me (probably)

I would just as stuff like what subject you studying? Where you from? Then find things to talk about you can really keep asking it'll just seem like an interview..

Find something you both like or dislike for example ask if they are excited about university or scared and then say how you feel and I'm sure you'll have a good convocation

Posted from TSR Mobile

wouldnt want someone asking me either... but people still ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending