The Student Room Group
well the acid in the juice probably reacts with the milk making the precipitate. The watery bit is just the water left over from the juice which is unreacted or is produced by the reaction. Why would you want to do this anyway?
because milk is made up of large slimy blobs called blob particles whereas fruit juice contains small jumpy particles which, when mixed with milk, combine to produce something scientifically known as gunge semi particles. when the particles get squashed together they produce water. innit.
Reply 3
something about combining an acid with an alkali?
ciara
something about combining an acid with an alkali?

you so never went to a science lesson :p:
Reply 5
From: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/6803/questions.html:

"When cooking with butter milk or sour cream (both contain lactic acid), care must be taken not to increase the acidity (lower the pH) too much or the milk solids will curdle and separate."

Presumably (since citrus fruit juice is more acidic that milk), the pH lowers (ie becomes too acidic), and the milk solids (carbohydates I think) seperate, ie the precipitate forms, and the watery substance is what remais without the previously dissolved solids.

You have to understand, I was bored!
Reply 6
someone else has posted a thread like this, on behalf of ronstoppable, in food&drink too - only that one is on about baileys and coke curdling...

cwaaaaaaaaaaazy.........
its a subs conspiricy!
I Posted first about acids!!!!!!!!!!!!! All that 'useless' education i've been gettin has actually found a use. LOL
Reply 9
Because the milk and the citrus curdle in your stomach, making you vomit.
Tried and tested.
Reply 10
^the citrus wouldnt curdle in your stomach 8-)
Because the milk and the citrus curdle in your stomach, making you vomit.

You know your stomach is full of hydrochloric acid, right? Any milk will get curdled when you drink it, whether you add citrus to the mix or not. It won't make you puke, unless you try really really hard.
Reply 12
Because it does? :s-smilie:
Madprof
From: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/6803/questions.html:

"When cooking with butter milk or sour cream (both contain lactic acid), care must be taken not to increase the acidity (lower the pH) too much or the milk solids will curdle and separate."

Presumably (since citrus fruit juice is more acidic that milk), the pH lowers (ie becomes too acidic), and the milk solids (carbohydates I think) seperate, ie the precipitate forms, and the watery substance is what remais without the previously dissolved solids.

You have to understand, I was bored!
We have a winner!
Reply 14
Glad I helped! Enjoy your tea (with lemon only this time I hope!)

Latest

Trending

Trending