The Student Room Group

Potential applicants to Oxbridge for Comp Sci

This is a thread to gather some data on people who may have already gotten into Oxbridge for Comp Sci or are looking to apply this year. I would like to know what kind of UMS you might have gotten and any sort of advice you could give.

I wanted to apply to Cambridge but while I have 10 A*S at GCSE im not so sure with an AS average of 89% which is quite low for Cambridge. I've taken Fm, Maths, Physics and Econ.

Any help would be really great since i'm so stressed out :frown:
Hi! I'm going to apply to Oxford for Computer Science for 2015/16 first year with a previous 7A*s at GCSE and AAAB (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry respectively) at AS level, achieving 100 UMS in Core 1 and Core 2 maths modules. I'll be dropping chem for year 13.
Rather than just listing your grades, how about you talk about why you like Computer Science? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by tukky12
This is a thread to gather some data on people who may have already gotten into Oxbridge for Comp Sci or are looking to apply this year. I would like to know what kind of UMS you might have gotten and any sort of advice you could give.

I wanted to apply to Cambridge but while I have 10 A*S at GCSE im not so sure with an AS average of 89% which is quite low for Cambridge. I've taken Fm, Maths, Physics and Econ.

Any help would be really great since i'm so stressed out :frown:

What was your AS average across maths, further maths and physics? They'll care more about that than across the four.
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-
What was your AS average across maths, further maths and physics? They'll care more about that than across the four.

Still 89.9% :frown:
Original post by tukky12
This is a thread to gather some data on people who may have already gotten into Oxbridge for Comp Sci or are looking to apply this year.

Hi. Glad to hear you're considering applying. If you have any questions about CS at Oxford do feel free to get in touch.

When you apply to Oxford we don't see your UMS marks (unless your referee pops them in the reference.) So I'm afraid we can't provide you with any data on average UMS scores for our candidates.

Instead we use the MAT test as a primary way of shortlisting for interview. Past papers can be found here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/MAT_test.html For the 2012 paper, roughly speaking, please who got interviewed got over 50%. Those who were offered places scored, on average in the 70's.

Hope that's helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Hi. Glad to hear you're considering applying. If you have any questions about CS at Oxford do feel free to get in touch.

When you apply to Oxford we don't see your UMS marks (unless your referee pops them in the reference.) So I'm afraid we can't provide you with any data on average UMS scores for our candidates.

Instead we use the MAT test as a primary way of shortlisting for interview. Past papers can be found here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/MAT_test.html For the 2012 paper, roughly speaking, please who got interviewed got over 50%. Those who were offered places scored, on average in the 70's.

Hope that's helpful.

What are your views regarding mature students with slightly different entry qualifications.

I'm currently doing the first year of a comp sci degree with the Open Uni, and looking at applying to the first year of "traditional" unis this september, most admissions tutors I've spoke to inform me of gaining over 60% plus in order to be considered (which is fine by me).

Moreover, would the fact I'm making a rather non-traditional career change be looked down on? I've been in the Marines for about 6 years now, and the change to computer science from this career isn't one I imagine institutions get that often.

Many thanks,
Original post by tim_123
What are your views regarding mature students with slightly different entry qualifications.

I'm currently doing the first year of a comp sci degree with the Open Uni, and looking at applying to the first year of "traditional" unis this september, most admissions tutors I've spoke to inform me of gaining over 60% plus in order to be considered (which is fine by me).

Moreover, would the fact I'm making a rather non-traditional career change be looked down on? I've been in the Marines for about 6 years now, and the change to computer science from this career isn't one I imagine institutions get that often.

Many thanks,

Hi Tim
Thanks for your message. One of the good things about applying to Oxford is that we don't just do everything based on data and statistics. We try to look carefully at each candidate as an individual. We get the chance to interview candidates too which really helps. (The whole application process, and especially the UCAS Personal Statement would really be very dull if everyone had the same background.)

It's perfectly possible to apply to us based on your achievements during the first year of a degree elsewhere. Most years we see at least someone who's done some OU modules along the way. The most important thing for us is that you've developed your mathematical thinking. We'd want to see that your OU modules included content equivalent to a high grade in A Level Maths. We'd want to be sure that you were fully in the swing of studying, and that you're maths was up to the right level were you'd be able to cope with the course from the off. (Our courses are very mathematical, and it's straight in at the deep end.)

If you do well in the MAT test we'll interview you. If you do well at interview we'll offer you a place. And we'll work out a conditional offer that fits sensibly to your educational history, but is basically equivalent to our standard conditional offer.

Oxford does have a college specifically for mature students, but sadly they don't take students from the Physical Science/Maths subjects. However, the administrator there is an expert on all things related to mature student applications so she might be a good person to have a chat with. This lady (So you could apply to any college that offers the course.)

Feel free to drop me an email on <[email protected]> if you'd like to have more of a chat.
Reply 8
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Hi Tim
Thanks for your message. One of the good things about applying to Oxford is that we don't just do everything based on data and statistics. We try to look carefully at each candidate as an individual. We get the chance to interview candidates too which really helps. (The whole application process, and especially the UCAS Personal Statement would really be very dull if everyone had the same background.)

It's perfectly possible to apply to us based on your achievements during the first year of a degree elsewhere. Most years we see at least someone who's done some OU modules along the way. The most important thing for us is that you've developed your mathematical thinking. We'd want to see that your OU modules included content equivalent to a high grade in A Level Maths. We'd want to be sure that you were fully in the swing of studying, and that you're maths was up to the right level were you'd be able to cope with the course from the off. (Our courses are very mathematical, and it's straight in at the deep end.)

If you do well in the MAT test we'll interview you. If you do well at interview we'll offer you a place. And we'll work out a conditional offer that fits sensibly to your educational history, but is basically equivalent to our standard conditional offer.

Oxford does have a college specifically for mature students, but sadly they don't take students from the Physical Science/Maths subjects. However, the administrator there is an expert on all things related to mature student applications so she might be a good person to have a chat with. This lady (So you could apply to any college that offers the course.)

Feel free to drop me an email on <[email protected]> if you'd like to have more of a chat.

Thank you very much for the response and info, I'll be sure to ask if I have any more questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending