The Student Room Group

comp sci, maths, physics, further maths?

im looking to do software engineering at uni, going onto be either a software engineer or in games development. comp sci and maths are a definite for me, are physics and further maths worth it? (my backup is business - i’d do economics instead but my school doesn’t offer it)
Reply 1
FM is useful for Comp Sci etc, Physics less so.
Its also useful for Economics.
Reply 2
Original post by olliedr
im looking to do software engineering at uni, going onto be either a software engineer or in games development. comp sci and maths are a definite for me, are physics and further maths worth it? (my backup is business - i’d do economics instead but my school doesn’t offer it)

im in y11 rn im also looking to do computer science or software engineering at uni, and the a levels that I'm going to take are maths, further maths, physics and biology. physics should be a priority to take because most top comp sci unis require it, alongside maths. further maths will definitely increase your chance of getting a place bcs it's highly liked by top unis like imperial, and also ucl I think. maths, further maths and physics all provide the logical thinking needed to do comp sci and uni so is definitely worth it.
of course there's the downside that further maths is one of the most difficult a level subjects, but I think that if you like maths as a subject and have a passion for it, which I do, I would definitely suggest going forward with it.
I was also going to take cs as my fourth a level (instead of bio) but I've researched and I don't think that many unis require cs as an a level. I may be wrong but from what I remember, it's mainly maths, further maths and physics.
hope I helped !!
Yeah, most unis don't require comp sci, the only exception being Sheffield. But as far as I know, taking physics isn't a must either, as long as you have maths it's good enough, but if applying to the top unis such as Imperial or Cambridge then further math is needed.
Reply 4
Original post by olliedr

I do maths, further econ and computer science, and also wanna do software engineering. I’m year 12

Further maths is the safer bet. It’s easier to get a better grade in than physics, and respected more by universities when trying to go into SE. Top unis such as Oxbridge and imperial, basically 90%+ of the applicants do further for CS, whereas a similar but smaller amount of people do physics. Further can also be useful if you change your mind about software engineering (you’ll consider it at some point trust) for smth else
Reply 5
Original post by skvsyu
I do maths, further econ and computer science, and also wanna do software engineering. I’m year 12

Further maths is the safer bet. It’s easier to get a better grade in than physics, and respected more by universities when trying to go into SE. Top unis such as Oxbridge and imperial, basically 90%+ of the applicants do further for CS, whereas a similar but smaller amount of people do physics. Further can also be useful if you change your mind about software engineering (you’ll consider it at some point trust) for smth else

Yeah, although my school only has further as an extra 4th option, so I'd be taking physics either way.

Quick Reply

Latest