The Student Room Group

Can I still get offers from 'top' universities with pretty poor AS Levels?

I received my results 3 days ago and unfortunately, they weren't very good.

I got BBBC in my 4 subjects which are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music (the C was in F.Maths) and I was predicted AAAA by my teachers, so I am really annoyed. The thing is, my module grades were really mixed; for example, in maths I got 98, 90 and 50 (C1, C2, D1). These module results were similar in my other subjects; for example my 3 module grades in physics were AAC (G482, Practical and G481).

I have spoken to my school tutor and subject teachers and they all agree that some of my module results were anomalies;others were good which was what they expected. Consequently, they have still predicted me relatively good A Level Grades A*AAA (the A* being in Maths). I am also doing an EPQ. I was wondering whether I could still apply to universities such as Durham, Warwick and St Andrews (3 of my 5 choices) and have a realistic chance of being accepted. I am planning to read either Maths or Astrophysics. Do I have a realistic chance of getting offers from these 3 with my current grades or is it pretty much impossible and therefore not worth applying to. Please can you help me answer this question as it has been troubling me a lot recently! Hope everyone got the results they wanted and good luck to those who are off to their Unis in a couple of months! Thanks. :smile:
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
I received my results 3 days ago and unfortunately, they weren't very good.

I got BBBC in my 4 subjects which are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music (the C was in F.Maths) and I was predicted AAAA by my teachers, so I am really annoyed. The thing is, my module grades were really mixed; for example, in maths I got 98, 90 and 50 (C1, C2, D1). These module results were similar in my other subjects; for example my 3 module grades in physics were AAC (G482, Practical and G481).

I have spoken to my school tutor and subject teachers and they all agree that some of my module results were anomalies;others were good which was what they expected. Consequently, they have still predicted me relatively good A Level Grades A*AAA (the A* being in Maths). I am also doing an EPQ. I was wondering whether I could still apply to universities such as Durham, Warwick and St Andrews (3 of my 5 choices) and have a realistic chance of being accepted. I am planning to read either Maths or Astrophysics. Do I have a realistic chance of getting offers from these 3 with my current grades or is it pretty much impossible and therefore not worth applying to. Please can you help me answer this question as it has been troubling me a lot recently! Hope everyone got the results they wanted and good luck to those who are off to their Unis in a couple of months! Thanks. :smile:

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.
That is something I've been wondering as well- I'd love to get into St Andrews (For Philosophy, I'd need to get AAB) but I got BBCC in my ASes. I would guess so, but I don't know.
I think it's normal for people to do 'bad' at AS level. I mean it's a big leap from GCSES, but at A2, you'll have been used to things and will see a vast improvement in your grades. Work out how much marks you need from the results you received (keep in mind boundary changes though) and work towards that as your goal. If your teachers are still predicting you with high grades, then they obviously have faith in you. Don't be disheartened and if you think you can achieve the grades, then definitely apply to those universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GoldenEmblem277
That is something I've been wondering as well- I'd love to get into St Andrews (For Philosophy, I'd need to get AAB) but I got BBCC in my ASes. I would guess so, but I don't know.

Yeh I know! I would go for it, as long as you have been predicted high grades and a good personal statement. You doing an EPQ? What subjects are you doing?
Original post by simplysparky
I think it's normal for people to do 'bad' at AS level. I mean it's a big leap from GCSES, but at A2, you'll have been used to things and will see a vast improvement in your grades. Work out how much marks you need from the results you received (keep in mind boundary changes though) and work towards that as your goal. If your teachers are still predicting you with high grades, then they obviously have faith in you. Don't be disheartened and if you think you can achieve the grades, then definitely apply to those universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! I'm still unsure but am doing a fair fee extra curricular stuff like grade 8 piano and an extended project (EPQ) for example. Hopefully together with my predicted grades and personal statement, this should help me increase my UCAS points and they might accept me :P
Yeh I know! I would go for it, as long as you have been predicted high grades and a good personal statement. You doing an EPQ? What subjects are you doing?

Im also doing EPQ on Music Therapy and how it helps children with autism compared to drug therapy and if the two therapies can go well together. My subjects are History, RS (my Bs), Economics and Psychology (my Cs) I dropped Psychology though.

I haven't got a clue on what to write in my personal statement- part from my volunteering work and what I've read for Philosophy. What will you mention in yours?
Im also doing EPQ on Music Therapy and how it helps children with autism compared to drug therapy and if the two therapies can go well together. My subjects are History, RS (my Bs), Economics and Psychology (my Cs) I dropped Psychology though.

I haven't got a clue on what to write in my personal statement- part from my volunteering work and what I've read for Philosophy. What will you mention in yours?

My EPQ is entitled 'how does time work in space'. Yours sounds interesting!

What were your module results?

For my personal statement, I'm conveying my enthusiasm for maths (and backing it up by mentioning the lectures/events I've been too regarding it), books I've read and what I've learned from them regarding maths, other hobbies which are somewhat related, how my subjects connect to maths e.g physics incorporates calculation as does maths, charity events.... There is so much to say don't worry!
My EPQ is entitled 'how does time work in space'. Yours sounds interesting!

What were your module results?

For my personal statement, I'm conveying my enthusiasm for maths (and backing it up by mentioning the lectures/events I've been too regarding it), books I've read and what I've learned from them regarding maths, other hobbies which are somewhat related, how my subjects connect to maths e.g physics incorporates calculation as does maths, charity events.... There is so much to say don't worry!

My EPQ has been interesting, and by the sounds of it, yours sounds interesting also.

My modules:
History
Britian- 70 B
Russia- 74 B
Board- Edexcel

RS
Foundation paper- 64 C
Investigations Paper- 80 A (That paper was so interesting. I was studying the link between religion and science and if they go together or not. I'm an atheist, but I do understand that religion can help apply the ethics to the science being studied. :smile: )
Board- Edexcel

Economics
Microeconomics- 64 C
Macroeconomics- 60 C
Board- Edexcel

psychology
Paper 1- 56 D
Paper 2- 78 B
Board- AQA A

lectures- yes! I have been to a couple, and I can mention those! :biggrin: the thing with me is that the word limit is too small (400 words if I am not mistaken) and nervous that I won't be able to convey all of this in 400 words... :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
My EPQ has been interesting, and by the sounds of it, yours sounds interesting also.

My modules:
History
Britian- 70 B
Russia- 74 B
Board- Edexcel

RS
Foundation paper- 64 C
Investigations Paper- 80 A (That paper was so interesting. I was studying the link between religion and science and if they go together or not. I'm an atheist, but I do understand that religion can help apply the ethics to the science being studied. :smile: )
Board- Edexcel

Economics
Microeconomics- 64 C
Macroeconomics- 60 C
Board- Edexcel

psychology
Paper 1- 56 D
Paper 2- 78 B
Board- AQA A

lectures- yes! I have been to a couple, and I can mention those! :biggrin: the thing with me is that the word limit is too small (400 words if I am not mistaken) and nervous that I won't be able to convey all of this in 400 words... :frown:

The word limit is actually 4000 words / 47 lines :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simplysparky
The word limit is actually 4000 words / 47 lines :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

.... That sounds even more terrifying, but I think that I can do it.
.... That sounds even more terrifying, but I think that I can do it.

It is a pain to be honest, but I think the most difficult aspect is knowing where to begin!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My modules:
History
Britian- 70 B
Russia- 74 B
Board- Edexcel

RS
Foundation paper- 64 C
Board- Edexcel

Economics
Microeconomics- 64 C
Macroeconomics- 60 C
Board- Edexcel

psychology
Paper 1- 56 D
Paper 2- 78 B
Board- AQA A

I was wondering how your EPQ is going? Personally, I have done my research, pretty much finished my project log, done my bibliography and project proposal form and just have to write up my final draft. (We are doing Edexcell EPQ - are you?)
you could just resit them altogether? I've got the same grades and I was predicted straight As too but I think I'm to blame and that I could put in more effort next year. There's always room for improvement!
I was wondering how your EPQ is going? Personally, I have done my research, pretty much finished my project log, done my bibliography and project proposal form and just have to write up my final draft. (We are doing Edexcell EPQ - are you?)

AQA EPQ. Did the bulk of my research, written 3,100 of the 5,000 words (it'll probably be a tiny bit shorter, but ah well...) but no bibliography yet. I think I have done Project proposal, but not sure...

Quick Reply

Latest