The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Chemical Engineering

Hi everyone, I’ve offers from UCL, Manchester and Birmingham to study Chemical Engineering in 2023. Was favouring UCL but have read some poor student reviews regarding the course, content and study support. Granted these were from a few years ago. Would welcome views from current students on their experience.
From hearsay and my own experience, most top universities are highly ranked because they go for professors who are very capable in research... less so at teaching. Such research Universities' focus is very much on research and the funding it can bring in, and less so on the quality of teaching and student satisfaction.

If you plan on working abroad, perhaps in Asia and especially to China (immense demand for STEM postgrads), UCL would be the best choice. Manchester is very renowned as well. Birmingham less so. Personally, in the absence of scholarships, I'd just go for the highest ranking university and the weight its name carries to make it easier for HR whenever I look for work post-university. I don't think it's safe to make your choice based on the quality of the programme and teaching - it can vary year to year and in reality it's mostly just your own work and discipline, not the teaching that matters. Also I'd assume UCL has very strong industry links
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
i'm currently trying to decide the same thing between the same universities funnily enough lol
I've had the same concerns with the old reviews of UCL. Have you decided yet or are u still on the fence about it?
Personally leaning away from Manchester and trying to choose between Birmingham or UCL.
Original post by vxwmas
i'm currently trying to decide the same thing between the same universities funnily enough lol
I've had the same concerns with the old reviews of UCL. Have you decided yet or are u still on the fence about it?
Personally leaning away from Manchester and trying to choose between Birmingham or UCL.

Can I ask why you're leaning away from Manchester?
I'm currently in my second year here and I'm trying to gauge people's perceptions of Chem Eng at uni compared to how I'm finding it now and my perceptions when I was in the same position two years ago.
Reply 4
Original post by briteeshbro
Can I ask why you're leaning away from Manchester?
I'm currently in my second year here and I'm trying to gauge people's perceptions of Chem Eng at uni compared to how I'm finding it now and my perceptions when I was in the same position two years ago.

not to say im 100% off going to manchester but i like birminghams campus and ucl in general a lot more than manchester (the uni is still v nice dont get me wrong). also the fact manchester is really far compared to the other 2. the course at manchester seemed nice too but birminghams seems so good as well.

how are you finding it so far tho?? what do u like about it and what do you think could be better? would help haha. also how did u go about deciding which uni to go to?
Original post by riddle_p
not to say im 100% off going to manchester but i like birminghams campus and ucl in general a lot more than manchester (the uni is still v nice dont get me wrong). also the fact manchester is really far compared to the other 2. the course at manchester seemed nice too but birminghams seems so good as well.

how are you finding it so far tho?? what do u like about it and what do you think could be better? would help haha. also how did u go about deciding which uni to go to?

Yeah I won't lie, Birmingham was the other uni I was heavily considering. In fact, I would've argued they had a slightly better course. The deciding factor for me though was the course structure of the Industrial Year at UoM. The degree here is a year shorter than everyone else. A placement year is very important to me and I don't like the idea of spending 5 years at uni.
I'm finding it pretty nice all in all. The big thing I've really liked is the city. I came here purely for the course but the Manchester is miles ahead as a city of every other place in the UK bar London.
The cohort size here is the biggest in the UK as well so there are many more people going through the same trouble I am that can support me.
I can't really think of anything that can be done better here that isn't a problem at another uni. Maybe a better society? its not even that bad its just I hear really good things about birminghams Chem Eng society
Reply 6
Same situation, any help would be appreciated

Original post by vxwmas
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Same situation, any help would be appreciated

still havent decided, its an annoying situation icl
Hi, I’m currently a year 12 student who is about to start their applications for uni soon. I am predicted 4A’s in Bio,Chem,Phys and Math do you have any ideas on some good unis to apply to with my grades. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by StemStudent2212
Hi, I’m currently a year 12 student who is about to start their applications for uni soon. I am predicted 4A’s in Bio,Chem,Phys and Math do you have any ideas on some good unis to apply to with my grades. Thanks :smile:

sorry if this is kinda late lol (was busy with exams and all) but those are great grades and could apply to pretty much any uni with those
i would say if you want to go to a university right at the top of league tables for chemical engineering, like imperial, you will need A*s (if im not mistaken its A*A*AA if you take 4 subjects - not that sure tho bc i did not consider imperial when applying)

also it may depend on if u are applying for an MEng or BEng as well bc some unis have different grade requirements for both like birmingham ( AAA for the BEng and A*AA for the MEng)

you can really apply anywhere tho with the grades and subjects you have
some good unis for chem eng: UCL, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Bath, Birmingham

hope this helped if u still needed it :smile:
Thank you very much. It was not too late. I am about 95% done on my UCAS application. I have one question. Imperial has a contextual offer of AAA( which I am eligible for) but this only guarantees me an interview. Their standard offer is A*A*AA. Do you think it would be too big of a risk for me to apply there and should I just apply elsewhere?
(I am predicted AAAA with Oxford UNIQ,Discover Bath and K+ supercurriculars). Any suggestions appreciated

Original post by vxwmas
sorry if this is kinda late lol (was busy with exams and all) but those are great grades and could apply to pretty much any uni with those
i would say if you want to go to a university right at the top of league tables for chemical engineering, like imperial, you will need A*s (if im not mistaken its A*A*AA if you take 4 subjects - not that sure tho bc i did not consider imperial when applying)

also it may depend on if u are applying for an MEng or BEng as well bc some unis have different grade requirements for both like birmingham ( AAA for the BEng and A*AA for the MEng)

you can really apply anywhere tho with the grades and subjects you have
some good unis for chem eng: UCL, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Bath, Birmingham

hope this helped if u still needed it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending