The Student Room Group

UCAS uni choices

Are my choices too risky? I have got a predicted grade of A*AAA (A* for maths) and my subject combo is bio, chem, maths, econs. I'm worried that I might get 5 rejections so should I change one of the unis to Warwick?
My uni choices are:
Imperial (Medicinal Chem)
King's (Chem with biomed)
Edinburgh (medicinal and biological chemistry)
Manchester (Medicinal Chem)
UCL (Chem)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kyue
Are my choices too risky? I have got a predicted grade of A*AAA (A* for maths) and my subject combo is bio, chem, maths, econs. I'm worried that I might get 5 rejections so should I change one of the unis to Warwick?
My uni choices are:
UCL (Chem)

Dayummmm, girl, just be confident. If those are your predicted grades, you should be fine. But also, choose the school YOU want. Work on your personal statement. Good luck! I'm also applying to uni next year. If you want someone to talk to, PM me. :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by kyue
My uni choices are:
UCL (Chem)

If you gamble on top universities you run the risk of rejections. This is especially the case in London because of the numbers applying there. Whether you should change your options is entirely your decision but you need to take into account you could end up with 5 rejections and how you would feel should that happen. Personally I wouldnt apply to 3 London universities and I would look for at least 1 probably 2 less risky options..
Reply 3
There are 2 risks:
- not receiving offers
- not achieving the offers.

Given your course the first risk is nothing like as significant as it would be for a course like economics or medicine. Plus there are likely to be lots of options in clearing (but no guarantees of course).

The second is more significant - all are likely to require pretty high grades at least for the offer stage.

I agree with SwanseaJack - London universities have become increasingly heavily subscribed in recent years. Any reason to apply for so many?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
There are 2 risks:
- not receiving offers
- not achieving the offers.

Given your course the first risk is nothing like as significant as it would be for a course like economics or medicine. Plus there are likely to be lots of options in clearing (but no guarantees of course).

The second is more significant - all are likely to require pretty high grades at least for the offer stage.

I agree with SwanseaJack - London universities have become increasingly heavily subscribed in recent years. Any reason to apply for so many?

These London unis along with uni of edinburgh r all the in the list of approved unis for my country’s local scholarships. My parents can’t afford to send to the UK to study so I’ll need to rely on financial support and scholarships
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kyue
These London unis along with uni of edinburgh r all the in the list of approved unis for my country’s local scholarships. My parents can’t afford to send to the UK to study so I’ll need to rely on financial support and scholarships

Ah, ok - you are an international applicant then. That changes the equation. Which other universities are on the list?

Oh - and what living allowance do you get? Is it sufficiently large enough for living in London? Is the scholarship automatic or do you need certain grades?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by kyue
My uni choices are:
UCL (Chem)

nah u good, just get chem to an A* if u can before deadline and get the ps checked by students at those unis if you can and ur all good.
manchester give offers but you gotta have high predicteds first
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, ok - you are an international applicant then. That changes the equation. Which other universities are on the list?

Oh - and what living allowance do you get? Is it sufficiently large enough for living in London? Is the scholarship automatic or do you need certain grades?

Oxbridge is on the list too but unfortunately these unis r out of my league. They didn’t specify the amt of allowance but only mentioned that a monthly stipend will be provided. If I rly do manage to receive a scholarship the living allowances shouldn’t be a problem cause my parents are still able to afford that along with some help from the monthly allowance from the scsholarship. It’s just the fees that are too expensive. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, I’ll need to at least get a conditional offer first then I’ll have to attend and interview and see if they’re willing to sponsor me.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by kyue
Oxbridge is on the list too but unfortunately these unis r out of my league. They didn’t specify the amt of allowance but only mentioned that a monthly stipend will be provided. If I rly do manage to receive a scholarship the living allowances shouldn’t be a problem cause my parents are still able to afford that along with some help from the monthly allowance from the scsholarship. It’s just the fees that are too expensive. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, I’ll need to at least get a conditional offer first then I’ll have to attend and interview and see if they’re willing to sponsor me.

Ah, ok - so you choices are imperial, KCL, UCL, Manchester, Warwick, Edinburgh?

So - you need conditional offers, to pass the interview then to get into one of the two universities you select as firm and insurance (but no actual grade requirements so long as you get the offers)?

Could you reach out to current students on the scheme to check how the financial arrangements work?
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, ok - so you choices are imperial, KCL, UCL, Manchester, Warwick, Edinburgh?

So - you need conditional offers, to pass the interview then to get into one of the two universities you select as firm and insurance (but no actual grade requirements so long as you get the offers)?

Could you reach out to current students on the scheme to check how the financial arrangements work?

Since I have only 5 choices on UCAS i’ll have to remove one of the unis but I’m not sure whether to keep UCL n remove Warwick of the other way round since Warwick isn’t in the scholarship list.
idk anyone on this scholarship though so it’ll be tough and other than academics this scholarship also looks at the financial circumstances of the household as well. They mentioned that it’s only for ‘needy’ students only so honestly I’m not sure if i’m considered ‘poor’ enough to be eligible. But that isn’t my main concern now. For now I’m js focusing on getting a conditional offer from one of the unis in the scholarship list then afterwards I’ll only sort my finances out. I’m just worried that I might be rejected from all the unis that r in the scholarship list. Do u think that I have a high chance of receiving a conditional offer for those unis? (Preferably the london unis since they’re my dream sch too)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by kyue
Since I have only 5 choices on UCAS i’ll have to remove one of the unis but I’m not sure whether to keep UCL n remove Warwick of the other way round since Warwick isn’t in the scholarship list.
idk anyone on this scholarship though so it’ll be tough and other than academics this scholarship also looks at the financial circumstances of the household as well. They mentioned that it’s only for ‘needy’ students only so honestly I’m not sure if i’m considered ‘poor’ enough to be eligible. But that isn’t my main concern now. For now I’m js focusing on getting a conditional offer from one of the unis in the scholarship list then afterwards I’ll only sort my finances out. I’m just worried that I might be rejected from all the unis that r in the scholarship list. Do u think that I have a high chance of receiving a conditional offer for those unis? (Preferably the london unis since they’re my dream sch too)

Nobody can tell whether you will get an offer or not. As I explained previously London universities are massively oversubscribed due to the demand of being in London. Hence why I suggest only applying to 2. You might get offers or you could get all rejects. Nobody can tell you. For that reason it is sensible to have a least 1 insurance offer below your grades where you are likely to get an offer as a safety net.

The other issue is the cost of living in London is far higher than elsewhere. You need to check whether any scholarship you get will cover it. What other universities are on your list. There might be other options which will be more affordable. It might well end up that studying elsewhere might be more financially viable than studying in Lodon with a scholarship
Reply 11
Original post by kyue

If there are a limited number of universities on the scholarships list and its not affordable without the scholarship the decision is pretty easy. Apply to places where you may get the scholarship.
Original post by kyue

Are we from the same place? My country gives out scholarships/stipends for Top 50 universities per course.
Reply 13
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
Are we from the same place? My country gives out scholarships/stipends for Top 50 universities per course.

Oh, which country are u from?
Original post by kyue
Oh, which country are u from?

IDK if I can say it outright cuz I'm rlly wary of saying it in such a public forum but it's in East Asia.
Reply 15
IDK if I can say it outright cuz I'm rlly wary of saying it in such a public forum but it's in East Asia.

Ohh then we're from diff countries
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by kyue
Ohh then we're from diff countries

Oh okay! We are in the same situation though!
Reply 17

What do you think might happen if you name the country?
Original post by kyue
My uni choices are:
UCL (Chem)

I also am applying for 4/5 top schools and I feel like you really have to have a lot of faith in yourself. Will you apply to other places as well? Do you mind taking a gap year if you don’t get any offers? That was what I thought of when I chose the schools.
Original post by hydro gen
What do you think might happen if you name the country?

I just don't want to reveal in a very public forum. It's a privacy preference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending