The Student Room Group

Accept LSE or reapply to Cambridge?

I have an offer to study Maths/Economics at the LSE this September. Was rejected from Cambridge for Economics last year. I am confused on my subject choice, and am wondering whether I should have applied for Geography (at time of applying confusion was there). Had my A Level results: A*A*A*A (400/400 UMS in Geog). Perhaps I'm more suited to studying Geog over Maths/Econ at uni level- though not certain. Though would it be a waste giving up my Maths/Econ offer at the LSE and risk not getting back in. So I'm thinking of reapplying for Geography to Cambridge, however for employment etc. in the future, if I ended up doing Geog in another uni, it may be harder to get a job etc.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Don't just make this choice based on your results. What stopped you applying for geography back then? Why the change?

It's also a huge risk to reapply to Cambridge there - you'll have been out of education for a year. Can they see what subject you applied for before? as that may work against you.

Employment-wise depends what you want to do, but prospects right now is that Maths/Econ at LSE is fantastic. It's a personal choice ultimately, but Cambridge isn't the be-all-and-end-all, and I don't think it will really give you opportunities that LSE doesn't already. It's just the subject issue in my eyes, but again, very personal. With those grades you're perfectly capable of either.
Personally, I don't see any difference between the two and I would rather go to the LSE.

Location is key. It would be good to be in the heart of London as there is so much going on and better for internships.
Reply 3
I was always unsure when applying for my course, and maybe I was influenced by potential career opportunities etc. I've always loved Geography, and after studying further maths this year, I felt a lack of understanding in parts, and just had to accept solutions to problems I was still unsure on.

I understand the risk, but a gap year would not be bad thing, as I'd like a break from exams for a year, and the chance to travel for a bit if I could fund it. Probably, but if I genuinely would prefer to study Geog now, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

I feel Geography from Cambridge would allow job opportunities, but from other uni's possibly more limiting. I've been on summer schools to Cambridge and I loved the environment there.

Again, the environment to study at Cambridge seems like it would suit me.
Also, I fear struggling at uni level with maths, as I've been in a small class throughout A Levels so any problems were immediately addressed. However, at uni the level will step up, and at the LSE they emphasised the amount of independent study they expected from students, so that again is off-putting.

Thanks for the responses!

Quick Reply

Latest