The Student Room Group

dropping out of a levels and doing them next year

i don't think im going to do that well in my a levels. it's looking like 3 As if that but I want A*s for my course and uni preferences. if i drop out this year and avoid the risk of doing badly and eliminating preferred options, will unis like LSE or cambridge care too much that i did them a year later if i also specify an actual reason as to why I had to? can it really affect my applciation next year? if i were to specify a reason, does anyone know what they take seriously? i do have somewhat of a reason but not sure how seriously theyll take it.

also if i were to get an offer frmo lse this year but dont want to risk doing badly in a levels and eliminate the chance of even being accepted through entry next year so drop out of a levels instead, will lse also take into consideration that i previously had an offer

im not applying for hugely competitive courses. still competitive because of the uni but not hugely oversubscribed like pure econ. im applying for econ and phil at lse and potentially land econ at cambridge if i reapply next year because i didnt apply this year
The most competitive courses/universities like LSE or anywhere asking for A*A*A* would expect to see evidence of serious illness or bereavement for taking an additional year to meet their requirements.

It seems like you’re looking for excuses instead of just buckling down and doing the extra work to improve your results by one grade.
Reply 2
They’re asking for AAA at lse and a*aa at Cambridge. Do they take mental health seriously enough? This is partly why I was considering dropping out in the first place and going to a rehab centre/hospital. I’m not looking for excuses btw. I worked very hard during Christmas holidays but I’m still a bit doubtful since my subjects are all heavy application subjects so they take more time and can’t be crammed. I didn’t do enough last year though so dropped further maths to help a bit
Original post by Anonymous
They’re asking for AAA at lse and a*aa at Cambridge. Do they take mental health seriously enough? This is partly why I was considering dropping out in the first place and going to a rehab centre/hospital. I’m not looking for excuses btw. I worked very hard during Christmas holidays but I’m still a bit doubtful since my subjects are all heavy application subjects so they take more time and can’t be crammed. I didn’t do enough last year though so dropped further maths to help a bit

They ask for AAA and you expect to get AAA.
There’s no reason to do what you are considering.
Reply 4
Yeah but I don’t have an offer yet. If I did then it would be fine but if I get 3 As in actual and didn’talready have an offer then I would have to reapply with those grades and ngl with how competitiveLSE is I don’t think I’d stand a chance just meeting the requirement
Original post by Anonymous #1

I don’t think mental health alone is classed as a mitigating circumstance. A serious illness you have (cancer etc.), or a terminal illness/death of a very close family member (brother, sister, mum or dad) would be the only two things that LSE, imperial or Oxbridge would accept (probably).

[start]Not saying mental health isn’t serious, but it’s not in the same category as the other two, and it’s very hard for universities to get proof of this; especially if you haven’t seen a qualified psychologist/psychiatrist. Like why have you got bad mental health? The two/three mitigating circumstances that I mentioned cause a huge impact on the mental health of the individuals (and other parts of their lives), and that’s why they are usually the only ones considered for resits/taking time out of college/sixth form for top university admission.[/start]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending