The Student Room Group

What is A-level Economics all about?

Hi,

I am hoping to do Economics at A-level and and I just wanted to get an insight into what the course is about. Also, do you have any tips/ advice on what I can do to prepare for the subject and things I can do outside of school which would help me with the course.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :smile:
Reply 1
There are key diagrams to learn throughout the course, but you can use AS diagrams at A2, and personally they arent to hard to learn, as long as your practise and understand it.

AS has two units:
Unit 1 is about the firm, and competition within a market, Unit 2 is about Supply and Demand, and the economy.
A2:
Unit 3 is also about the firm, but its more detailed, you will repeat a few things from AS, but there are more new ideas. Unit 4 is literally a repeat of Unit 2, except there are a few new topics, which arent too difficult to get used to.
For AS and A2, having knowledge of currrent affairs is almost essential, as you can get extra marks for referring to recent developments in the economy, e.g. latest GDP figures, employment rate etc.
I`d suggest going on Tutor2u, it has resources for Economics.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Hello,

Economics is basically a social science on how different factors affect the spending patterns of people.

If you've done Economics for your IGCSEs/GCSEs it should help because the first few chapters are the same, with just some additional information and retaining the concepts you've learnt before will definitely help. Economics is one of the few subjects that requires outside reading and real-life application, so keeping up with global economic trends is a definite bonus. Lots and lots of reading will be very helpful!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest