The Student Room Group

What about the Indian holocaust?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MatureStudent36
Yet colonial governments developed those local economies.

The fact remains that they haven't had a famine killing millions of people. Coming close is irrelevant: it hasn't happened, demonstrating the superiority of democracy and freedom.

As for "developing these local economies", that's hardly the case. India's share of GDP fell dramatically due to colonial rule, and remained stagnant. Income per capita, too, remained stagnant, as did life expectancy. Significant improvements in all of these areas came from India gained freedom and democracy.

The statistics show the same picture wherever you look: colonialism is one of humanity's most disgusting inventions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
The fact remains that they haven't had a famine killing millions of people. Coming close is irrelevant: it hasn't happened, demonstrating the superiority of democracy and freedom.

As for "developing these local economies", that's hardly the case. India's share of GDP fell dramatically due to colonial rule, and remained stagnant. Incomes, too, remains stagnant, as did life expectancy. Significant improvements in all of these areas came from India gained freedom and democracy.

The statistics show the same picture wherever you look: colonialism is one of humanity's most disgusting inventions.

A lot of places haven't had famine for a long time. Probably down to a whole host of reasons. Improved transport. Better communications, better general health of the population.

Bangladesh had a large famine in 1974 killing an estimated 1.5 million. Bangladesh used to be part of India you know.

You're obviously pushing an agenda here. So where's your GDP figures coming from? As well as life expectancy etc?
Original post by viddy9
I'm a bit busy at the moment, I'll try to get in a full reply later, but there's no doubt that colonial governments would have used brutal violence to impose their own bad economic policies on other countries and oppress them. And, indeed, they did so on many occasions.

They used authoritarian, but not totalitarian, rule in order to maintain their own place as head of state rather than some native. They did not use it to maintain bad economic policies. There was no movement for good economic policies in India during the colonial era; any such movement would in fact have faced severe native opposition. Even today Indians do not vote for good economic policies, and India is one of the least economically successful countries in the world.

The important thing is that, since India gained independence, there have been no major famines. In fact, no major famine has ever taken place in a democracy.

India has also not participated in a world war since independence. By the same token very few Londoners have been killed by bombs since 1945.
Original post by Brakco
Yes, It was a Genocide which have been even forgotten by India, Due to bad policies and Racial attitudes of British and specially Churchill, they treated famines in India as Indians were born to die in famine which was created by loot of Indian resources by British.

Only the 1943 Bengal Famine claimed somewhere between 2-4 Million lives.

Let me quote from a article.
Remembering India’s forgotten holocaust | Rakesh Krishnan Simha | Tehelka.com
The Bengal Famine of 1943-44 must rank as the greatest disaster in the subcontinent in the 20th century. Nearly 4 million Indians died because of an artificial famine created by the British government.

It took Adolf Hitler and his Nazi cohorts 12 years to round up and murder 6 million Jews, but their Teutonic cousins, the British, managed to kill almost 4 million Indians in just over a year, with Prime Minister Winston Churchill cheering from the sidelines.

Churchill was totally remorseless in diverting food to the British troops and Greek civilians. To him, “the starvation of anyhow underfed Bengalis (was) less serious than sturdy Greeks”, a sentiment with which Secretary of State for India and Burma, Leopold Amery, concurred.

another article which estimates the death toll to be around 3 Million
Bengal Famine Of 1943 - A Man-Made Holocaust
when he (Churchill) first received a telegram from the British colonial authorities in New Delhi about the rising toll of famine deaths in Bengal, his reaction was simply that he regretted that nationalist leader Mahatma Gandhi was not one of the victims.Later at a War Cabinet meeting, Churchill blamed the Indians themselves for the famine, saying that they “breed like rabbits.”His attitude toward Indians was made crystal clear when he told Secretary of State for India Leopold Amery: "I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion."

Wow they should teach this kind of stuff in school .
Original post by Shinaoirm
Wow they should teach this kind of stuff in school .

What, misrepresented Indian nationalist biased history that's been warped to twist a political agenda.
Reply 25
Original post by EscapeArtistsNeverDie
Genocide; "the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group."

The actions of the British in India were appalling, and shameful. But the famines don't constitute genocide. They were made worse by British policy, certainly, but it wasn't deliberate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
British people are largely ignorant of the history behind these events, and I am more than happy to challenge people who have a rose-tinted view of the British Empire, believe me I would then be taking the lefty-liberal side. However the use of words like holocaust and genocide is inaccurate and unhelpful and really doesn't help.
Original post by viddy9
I'm a bit busy at the moment, I'll try to get in a full reply later, but there's no doubt that colonial governments would have used brutal violence to impose their own bad economic policies on other countries and oppress them. And, indeed, they did so on many occasions.

The important thing is that, since India gained independence, there have been no major famines. In fact, no major famine has ever taken place in a democracy.

Actually up until the the 1960s there was a common opinion that India would never be able to feed itself, it wasn't until the wide spread production of Norman Borlaugs dwarf wheat that India became self sustaining and whilst there have been less outright famines, deaths from malnutrition are still extremely common (50% of childrens deaths are from malnutrition).
Reply 27
Just because we are not white our genocide is forgotten.
Reply 28
Original post by Akarihza
Just because we are not white our genocide is forgotten.

As long as it isn't forgotten by US and our children and their children, it will never be forgotten.

Justice, even if delayed, is still justice.
Original post by GnomeMage
Thank you for talking sense.

A lot of people blame mao for genocide during the famine in China. Finally someone speak logic now.

I'd describe Mao's killings as "democide", not necessarily genocide. That is, large-scale killing by government. Same with Pol Pot, Stalin, Kim Jong Il etc.
Worth a watch milton friedman talking slavery and colonisation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xeebU8VhmY
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
It's because non whites life doesn't matter for white people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending