The Student Room Group

Should I do economics or physics for A level?

:confused:I just finished my gcses, and originally I had decided to do economics for A level when we had to decide last january. However I deliberated on it alot and changed to physics on results day after seeing my physics grade (A*) I am still unsure of this decision and of whether I should do physics or economics. The other A levels I am doing are geography, german and maths. At the moment I am the most interested in geography, and the social side of it, which economics fits better with rather than physics. But I am not sure what I want to do after A levels at uni or later in life, so I feel that doing economics, which is not needed at A level to do it as a degree, may be cutting off options, while physics may open up other options like engineering. If anyone has any advice on which one Ishould do for A level, it would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Hey there! So I had both Economics and Physics at A level with Chemistry and Maths.. Now I don't know much about geography cause I dropped it a week after after my IGCSE started and took environmental management instead. But I can get an idea of German cause I did French.. So studying a language at A level is really demanding like every subject is but I feel foreign languages in particular! As for geography I think you will have a lot of reading and understanding about land formations and stuff.. please correct me if I am wrong!

Now coming to your question! As you said you aren't sure about what to do later in life but you did well in physics at GCSE which means you have a pretty strong foundation of physics. Thought trust me both subjects are demanding. AS level is pretty easy I mean not that easy but compared to A2. For Economics if you wish to have A* you need to read a lot about the current ongoing affairs and policies of your country.. I believe so cause my A* in Economics was mostly because I wrote a lot in the A2 essay question which was about government intervention about the government scams and corrupt practices straight from the newspaper!

Physics on the other hand... Lot of thinking and practice.. I did all variants of papers from June 2007 to June 2013 still got a A maybe cause I was unwell.. But all I know is you develop that kind of thinking needed you need to read a lot of extra resources and practice..

I'll suggest you go for physics.. Because I somehow feel with GSCE Grade that you can do really well and with the combination of physics and maths you can really get into many courses. Also I feel when you are busy with your other subjects you'll find little time for A2 Eco.. I feel you can do good at AS Eco but its A2 that Im concerned!

Well thats to the best of my abilities that I can help! Hope it helps and doesnt confuse you more :P

Let me know if you need anything else! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thank you, ah I didn't realise A2 economics would be so time consuming. Apparently A2 physics is really hard as well though so I think if I did one I would probably wouldn't do it for A2 as I'd drop it after AS. Does that change your advice at all?

Quick Reply

Latest