The Student Room Group

Drugs are bad, mmkay.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTechN1304
Depends on what drug it is you're talking about here. Clearly there are some drugs that should remain illegal, but others could potentially benefit the economy in terms of high tax revenue :wink:

Also, if you('re stupid enough to) do drugs, your lifespan will tend to be shorter, thus meaning the government doesn't have to spend as much money maintaining your life in terms of health care etc.

Tell me, how is a recreational drug user stupid? You're alive to have fun, something the vast majority of drugs make much, much easier.

Abolish the punishments for drug use, they're barely enforced and quite frankly shouldn't be.
Original post by JayJay-C19
I wasn't saying that because nobody needs it, it should be banned. I'm saying nobody needs it so dont do it. Especially when there are risks involved. Having a fizzy drink, playing golf, having mcdonalds are no where near on the same scale in terms of risk and you know it.

I don't see why smoking a joint is inherently more risky than a fizzy drink or a McDonald's. For lots of other drugs sure, but skiing is risky, should I be allowed to do that? Why can I not make these decisions for myself, why do I need the state to make these decisions for me?
Original post by DaveSmith99
I don't see why smoking a joint is inherently more risky than a fizzy drink or a McDonald's. For lots of other drugs sure, but skiing is risky, should I be allowed to do that? Why can I not make these decisions for myself, why do I need the state to make these decisions for me?

They carry two completely different strains of risk.

Clearly too many are too stupid to make the right one thats why.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StotheR
Legalisation? No, because it will mean more impressionable young kids will have no problem in finding drugs that can be very harmful to them.
I am in favour of decriminalising drugs though. It will be a huge step in destroying the people at the top of the hierarchy who make billions off of the sales of drugs.

In my experience kids can already find pretty much any drugs they want.

The older you get the harder they are to get hold of :frown:

Deaths from weed: 0
Deaths from skiing: more than 0

How is smoking weed a bad decision?

Why are they different, they both carry the risk of death?

Some people are too stupid to make the right decision to do some exercise or read a book and educate themselves in favour of watching Britain's got Talent and stuffing their faces with Pringles. Ban Britain's got Talent and Pringles then?
The "younger people" who do try drugs are mainly chavs, peer-pressured or emotionally troubled.

:o: :biggrin: :colondollar: :u: :awesome: :bigsmile: :nutcase: :rofl3: :rofl:
Original post by StotheR
Making it legal will make it readily available pretty much everywhere

It's pretty much everywhere as it is...
Why are they different, they both carry the risk of death?

Some people are too stupid to make the right decision to do some exercise or read a book and educate themselves in favour of watching Britain's got Talent and stuffing their faces with Pringles. Ban Britain's got Talent and Pringles then?

OH MY GOD. It's not because it's a bad decision that makes it eligible for banning. I already said this.

Skiing - carries the RISK of an accident.

Drug use - CERTAINLY damages your body even in the slightest way and DEATH is a risk with a higher chance over Skiing.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Deaths from weed: 0
Deaths from skiing: more than 0

When did I make specific reference to weed being the cause of death in relation to a skiing incident? Oh. I didn't. Deaths by most other drugs: tonnes.
OH MY GOD. It's not because it's a bad decision that makes it eligible for banning. I already said this.

Skiing - carries the RISK of an accident.

Drug use - CERTAINLY damages your body even in the slightest way and DEATH is a risk with a higher chance over Skiing.

But you said that too many people make the wrong decision so the state has to decide for people?

Which drug? Heroin, crack, meth? Probably. MDMA, LSD, cannabis, magic mushrooms? Then no.
Original post by Dr DaMan
How is smoking weed a bad decision?

1. Can lead to stronger/harder drugs
2. Illegal
3. Can cause deterioration of mental health
4. You're smoking something. It harms your body. Just like I personally believe alcohol drinking and cigarette smoking shouldn't really be done.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The argument there though is that consumption of drugs can affect society as a whole if people take it outside of the home - a prime example being drink driving

That may well be the argument, but my retort would be that society "as a whole" does not exist. Society is but a label/concept we use for a complex system of individuals and is therefore no more than the sum of its parts. So, at the very most, you've only managed to argue in favor of criminalizing drink driving. Not criminalizing people for possessing, using, growing or trading a plant. I would in fact argue that drink driving should not be illegal, but that instead the roads ought to be privatized. It should be at the discretion of the owner of a private road whether he permits drink driving on it, and he can contract with a private security agency to regulate the behavior of those using his road. Given that nobody would choose to use that road - and that it would therefore most probably go bankrupt - as a result of people knowing that the owner permits drink driving, then I don't see why the government threatening physical force/incarceration against somebody for drink driving is a necessary condition for protecting society.
(edited 9 years ago)
When did I make specific reference to weed being the cause of death in relation to a skiing incident? Oh. I didn't. Deaths by most other drugs: tonnes.

The ****? Why would weed be the cause of death in a skiing incident :lol:

You want ALL drugs to stay illegal. That includes weed.
But you said that too many people make the wrong decision so the state has to decide for people?

Which drug? Heroin, crack, meth? Probably. MDMA, LSD, cannabis, magic mushrooms? Then no.

MDMA, Heroin, Crack, Cocaine, MeowMeow, Meth, LSD/Ecstasy and the like all carry a significant risk you shouldn't take.

It doesn't really matter what I or you think. It's illegal and it will most likely stay that way and if not, I'd say it would only loosen for Cannabis.
Original post by manchesterunited15
The ****? Why would weed be the cause of death in a skiing incident :lol:

You want ALL drugs to stay illegal. That includes weed.

You quoted me on something I wrote to another user who was speaking about skiing accidents. That's how it's relevant. I was not referencing to weed.

I think weed should be illegal, yes. Personal experiences and the like make me think so. The world is better off without it.
In the name of Janice, FREE DA WEED.
Really don't get the appeal of drugs, rather keep my already screwed physical and mental state at its current level. Don't get why people (I know/meet) try to pressure me into taking them and get all arsey when I don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MDMA, Heroin, Crack, Cocaine, MeowMeow, Meth, LSD/Ecstasy and the like all carry a significant risk you shouldn't take.

You still haven't clarified why this is different from skiing or McDonalds. LSD is actually a remarkably safe substance, as is MDMA, although not to the same degree as LSD.

It doesn't really matter what I or you think. It's illegal and it will most likely stay that way and if not, I'd say it would only loosen for Cannabis.

True, unfortunately it doesn't really matter what science, academia or the police think either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending