The Student Room Group

DSA, Asthma and a chemistry degree?

So I have asthma, which can be triggered by things like fine powders, fumes and gases (as well as stress and exercise, but these are largely irrelevant here) and I'm (perhaps ironically) planning on doing a chemistry degree - I already find I sometimes get asthma symptoms in A-level chemistry classes, where I might have a two hours practical at most, so spending a whole day each week in the labs has the potential to really trigger my asthma, so I'm going to need to buy more inhalers than I would otherwise. I don't really consider myself disabled, but can I claim DSA for this? Is there anything else that I can do to help me cope with labs?
(edited 9 years ago)
DSA will only pay for study related costs. Your inhalers aren't a study related expense.

Your asthma would have to be pretty severe to get DSA.
Reply 2
You'd be best talking to your disability adviser at your uni and seeing if any reasonable adjustment can be made for you to access the labs easier. For example, it may that allowing you to use fume cupboards or extraction fans could be used to extract the fine powders etc.
Reply 3
DSA is given for specific purposes so things like a study mentor for specific learning issues/various health conditions; travel costs for disabled students; to pay for computers/dictophones. Most students don't actually get given the allowance, instead student finance uses it to pay for these things.

Unfortunately DSA cannot be used for prescription costs but if for example you were unable to attend some lectures due to your asthma you might need a note-taker, who could be paid using a DSA allowance. I agree with NJones that you should still discuss your asthma with an adviser at your university, particularly if it is severe/brittle asthma, they might be able to make adjustments to the labs to help you and/or adjustments to allow you to leave the laboratory if you start to struggle breathing.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
DSA will only pay for study related costs. Your inhalers aren't a study related expense.

Your asthma would have to be pretty severe to get DSA.

Original post by NJones
You'd be best talking to your disability adviser at your uni and seeing if any reasonable adjustment can be made for you to access the labs easier. For example, it may that allowing you to use fume cupboards or extraction fans could be used to extract the fine powders etc.

Original post by Katy100
DSA is given for specific purposes so things like a study mentor for specific learning issues/various health conditions; travel costs for disabled students; to pay for computers/dictophones. Most students don't actually get given the allowance, instead student finance uses it to pay for these things.

Unfortunately DSA cannot be used for prescription costs but if for example you were unable to attend some lectures due to your asthma you might need a note-taker, who could be paid using a DSA allowance. I agree with NJones that you should still discuss your asthma with an adviser at your university, particularly if it is severe/brittle asthma, they might be able to make adjustments to the labs to help you and/or adjustments to allow you to leave the laboratory if you start to struggle breathing.

Great, this is really helpful :smile: I'm not currently at uni - I'm only applying at the moment - so would I be right in assuming all I need to do right now is declare my asthma on my UCAS form under "long term health conditions"?
Re: prescription costs - if you don't already, I'd recommend a pre-payment certificate. It saves a lot of money if you're getting frequent prescriptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by arguendo
Re: prescription costs - if you don't already, I'd recommend a pre-payment certificate. It saves a lot of money if you're getting frequent prescriptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just looked into that, and it actually looks like it could potentially work out quite cheap (comparative to buying each inhaler individually). Thank you so much!
They're only worth it if you have 14 prescriptions per year. I get 2 inhalers at a time, which normally last me 3 months or so.
They're only worth it if you have 14 prescriptions per year. I get 2 inhalers at a time, which normally last me 3 months or so.

It depends- for me it pays for itself in less than two months (or three if you're only counting asthma stuff) so is definitely worthwhile! :redface:

Edit: Just realised that's basically what you were saying anyway :facepalm: Sorry, I'm tired :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9

Original post by furryface12
It depends- for me it pays for itself in less than two months (or three if you're only counting asthma stuff) so is definitely worthwhile! :redface:

Edit: Just realised that's basically what you were saying anyway :facepalm: Sorry, I'm tired :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will the NHS cover steroid inhalers after I turn 18? Because if they don't, getting a pre-payment certificate would theoretically be cheaper, even if I don't factor in the cost of reliever inhalers!
Original post by Georgiecat
Will the NHS cover steroid inhalers after I turn 18? Because if they don't, getting a pre-payment certificate would theoretically be cheaper, even if I don't factor in the cost of reliever inhalers!

They don't unfortunately, wish they did though! If it weren't for the certificate thing I'd be paying about £40 a month just for asthma stuff, so saves me a lot :redface: That said, there's a campaign going on by asthma UK at the minute I think to get prescription charges stopped for people with asthma, can't imagine it'll come to anything though.
Original post by furryface12
They don't unfortunately, wish they did though! If it weren't for the certificate thing I'd be paying about £40 a month just for asthma stuff, so saves me a lot :redface: That said, there's a campaign going on by asthma UK at the minute I think to get prescription charges stopped for people with asthma, can't imagine it'll come to anything though.

Ahhh, okay - then a prepayment certificate will save me A LOT of money. Yeahh, I know, a lot of people seem to think asthma is just wheezing a bit. I'd like to see them trying to breathe while their airways literally try to strangle them :tongue: (Sorry, I get kind of passionate about these things. I don't actually wish asthma on anyone, but it just annoys me when people don't get how serious asthma can be.) Did you see that asthmaUK petition thing about letting schools have a reliever inhalers in their first aid kids that actually passed?
Original post by Georgiecat
Ahhh, okay - then a prepayment certificate will save me A LOT of money. Yeahh, I know, a lot of people seem to think asthma is just wheezing a bit. I'd like to see them trying to breathe while their airways literally try to strangle them :tongue: (Sorry, I get kind of passionate about these things. I don't actually wish asthma on anyone, but it just annoys me when people don't get how serious asthma can be.) Did you see that asthmaUK petition thing about letting schools have a reliever inhalers in their first aid kids that actually passed?

Yeah it annoys me so much, I've almost died from it several times (and I never wheeze at all so always confuse doctors!) yet people still don't understand, or in one case even notice I was having an attack until I passed out :s-smilie: That was good though, I really don't see why they weren't allowed in the first place! My primary school gave up in the end and just let me keep one in my bag as they got fed up of me going to the office the whole time :colondollar:
It's until the day you turn 19 that they are free. Providing you're in some form of full time education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending