The Student Room Group

Going back to basics: GCSE maths to Access to HE after previous funding years ago

Hi there,

I hold about 8 GCSEs at C or above except from maths, a couple of A levels A & B and an AS in creative subjects and a BTEC HND in Art and Design: Merit from a technical college circa 2004. I went on to do a degree in Fine Art not achieving all modules and only recieving a BA certificate (no Hons) 2:1, due to my modules not translating to the modules I took abroad while on Erasmus. Sick of the course and more focused on earning money to survive I did my stint and off I went in to the world of work...

Years later and matured from my mistakes of the past and with various jobs on my CV I'm considering doing a Nursing degree!

I'm 37, my degree ended in 2010 and want to redo my GCSE maths to achieve a C or above as have always been missing this qualification to prepare me for a year long, full time access to higher education course in Health sciences at my local college. Would I be entitled to the full funding for the Access course and expenses from SFE, also I must highlight that I do have a disability would I be able to claim DSA for the duration of the course and importantly I live in social housing. Is there any way my rent could be covered by student funding while I study? Would I even be entitled to take up an access course with my previous experience?

Your information would be much appreciated!
Original post by Lulu37
Hi there,

I hold about 8 GCSEs at C or above except from maths, a couple of A levels A & B and an AS in creative subjects and a BTEC HND in Art and Design: Merit from a technical college circa 2004. I went on to do a degree in Fine Art not achieving all modules and only recieving a BA certificate (no Hons) 2:1, due to my modules not translating to the modules I took abroad while on Erasmus. Sick of the course and more focused on earning money to survive I did my stint and off I went in to the world of work...

Years later and matured from my mistakes of the past and with various jobs on my CV I'm considering doing a Nursing degree!

I'm 37, my degree ended in 2010 and want to redo my GCSE maths to achieve a C or above as have always been missing this qualification to prepare me for a year long, full time access to higher education course in Health sciences at my local college. Would I be entitled to the full funding for the Access course and expenses from SFE, also I must highlight that I do have a disability would I be able to claim DSA for the duration of the course and importantly I live in social housing. Is there any way my rent could be covered by student funding while I study? Would I even be entitled to take up an access course with my previous experience?

Your information would be much appreciated!

@Lulu37
Hi
You sound like a perfect candidate for an Access to HE Student - I've taught on an Access program for over 10 years and I am also a SENDCo so I can advise you.

Firstly, for Access to Health Science you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan through Student Finance England (most people do this at enrolment) which is completely written off when you complete your degree.* I assume you want to go on to University?

For the GCSE Maths and Access courses you would not have access to DSA funding as they are technically Further Education courses and it is designed for Higher Education courses - you may be able to get something else but that is not really my area.* The college under the Equality Act 2010 and the SEND Code of Practice 2015 still has a legal responsibility to make a 'reasonable adjustment' to support your learner journey.
If you want to go on to do something like Radiography or Pharmacy it is best doing the GCSE first and Access the year after, the reason is they are both really competitive areas and when you apply for Uni you will likely be rejected in favour of someone who already has the GCSE (if you studied them both at the same time).* Some providers would enrol you to do both at the same time, and there is nothing 'wrong' with this, however I think its important to give you a realistic picture.

I would speak to the course co-ordinator at your local F.E college for Access, and the admissions tutor at your local university because the direction you want to go at H.E would determine the unit's you do on health science - there is sometimes a choice of Biology, Chemistry (Health Science), Physics, and there is another
Have you thought about doing a H.E course at Arden afterwards? (that is not where I teach btw I'm just a humble ambassador)
Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending