The Student Room Group

Bonus year funding

I have a question in regards to funding for the bonus year.
I previously received funding for undergraduate law degree which was for all 3 years.
I then took on another undergraduate degree which I also received funding for as it was an exception degree - adult nursing and I completed 1 year of that nursing degree and then did not return to year 2.
I now would like to pursue a career as a midwife and I understand midwifery degree is also an exception degree and second funding can be received.
The issue is that I already had funding for year 1 in my nursing degree so I am not 100% if I will be able to get full funding, both maintenance and tuition loans for 3 years of midwifery degree given my circumstances ?
I understand that the one year for nursing degree would be classed as the 'bonus year' ? Would that be case ?.
Also does any tuition loans for part-time study which I received in the past affect my entitlement (I received tuition-fee funding for 2 years many years ago).
Can anybody confirm this for me please :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Anybody help ??
Original post by K.talia
I have a question in regards to funding for the bonus year.
I previously received funding for undergraduate law degree which was for all 3 years.
I then took on another undergraduate degree which I also received funding for as it was an exception degree - adult nursing and I completed 1 year of that nursing degree and then did not return to year 2.
I now would like to pursue a career as a midwife and I understand midwifery degree is also an exception degree and second funding can be received.
The issue is that I already had funding for year 1 in my nursing degree so I am not 100% if I will be able to get full funding, both maintenance and tuition loans for 3 years of midwifery degree given my circumstances ?
I understand that the one year for nursing degree would be classed as the 'bonus year' ? Would that be case ?.
Also does any tuition loans for part-time study which I received in the past affect my entitlement (I received tuition-fee funding for 2 years many years ago).
Can anybody confirm this for me please :smile:

Hi there,

New students studying Nursing, Midwifery, Allied Health Professional (AHP) and Dental Hygiene/Dental Therapy (DHDT) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.
[start]These students are entitled to full SFE support (Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan as well as Supplementary Grants and/or DSA's where applicable). They receive this regardless of previous study or qualifications held, so long as they are not already registered in the field they are planning to study.[/start]

When are you planing to start this new course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 3
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

New students studying Nursing, Midwifery, Allied Health Professional (AHP) and Dental Hygiene/Dental Therapy (DHDT) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.
[start]These students are entitled to full SFE support (Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan as well as Supplementary Grants and/or DSA's where applicable). They receive this regardless of previous study or qualifications held, so long as they are not already registered in the field they are planning to study.[/start]

Thanks,
Claire

Sorry, what do you mean bursary funding from the NHS ?.
I have no intention of claiming bursary from NHS. I was going to apply for normal SF tuition and maintenace loan.
Are you perhaps relating to the NHS learning support fund ?.
I am planning to study in Sept 2025.
Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Thanks,
Claire

I'm just trying to understand whether I will be eligible for full funding for 3 years of the midwifery degree given my previous history of claiming SF ? (3 full time years for law undergraduate and 1 full year for nursing undergraduate)
Thanks !
Hi K.talia,

Your previous study with the Law degree with be exempt from the previous study calculation. However, repeat study on AHP and NHS courses will be treated as standard meaning that they will only qualify for one additional year of full funding. For your scenario, you should still have full funding to study a Midwifery degree using your additional year of funding provided that you do not have to repeat any years of study.

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by K.talia
I'm just trying to understand whether I will be eligible for full funding for 3 years of the midwifery degree given my previous history of claiming SF ? (3 full time years for law undergraduate and 1 full year for nursing undergraduate)
Thanks !

Students are entitled to full SFE support (Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan as well as Supplementary Grants and/or DSA's where applicable). You will receive this regardless of previous study or qualifications held, so long as you're not already registered in the field they are planning to study.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending