The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

I am an American student (24yo) and I just got my application into Bournemouth at the end of last week. These next few weeks of waiting on an acceptance or a rejection are going to be agonizing. Is it difficult to get into Bournemouth University? I really want to go here because of the atmosphere, the business program, and I currently work for JPMorgan in the states... so it's pretty great that so many JPMorgan jobs are right there in Bournemouth. I am hoping my current employment might give me an edge - my past grades from high school and other unis are average. I'm just worried I'll be rejected.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Hi there, i am applying to bournemouth univerity to study business inforation technology.
I am cuently studying business, IT and ceatve media.
I am actually eally looking forward to going but i have a few questions (as im sure we all do)
-How do we apply for accomodation
-When are we told that we have got in or havent got in

And for current student

-What it is it like to live in bournemouth
hiya :smile: i'm applying to study archaeology... not sure yet whether to do the archaeology Bsc, or archaeology and anthropology Ba....
i found Bournemouth had a really friendly feel, with approachable lecturers... something i think is really important! i went to both recent open days, but somehow didn't get to see the accommodation either time. :frown: it is right by the sea though :smile:
and if we are discussing ages, i will be 20 in october.:smile:
i have also been looking at liverpool, Nottingham and Southampton.
I got an unconditional offer this morning for Business Studies, starting in September 2015. :smile: I'm very excited! I am shocked at how quick that was, I only got my application in to them last Friday.
Original post by hopeandlilac
I got an unconditional offer this morning for Business Studies, starting in September 2015. :smile: I'm very excited! I am shocked at how quick that was, I only got my application in to them last Friday.

Congratulations hopeandlilac! We're so pleased to hear that you're excited to join BU - and we're excited to meet you!
Original post by aelliott768
Hi there, i am applying to bournemouth univerity to study business inforation technology.
I am cuently studying business, IT and ceatve media.
I am actually eally looking forward to going but i have a few questions (as im sure we all do)
-How do we apply for accomodation
-When are we told that we have got in or havent got in

And for current student

-What it is it like to live in bournemouth

Hi aelliott768,

Glad to hear you're looking forward to starting uni! Here are some answers to a couple of your questions, although we'll leave the final one for a current student.

There's some more information about accommodation on our website, which will be updated soon. Once you've accepted an offer and confirmed BU as your firm choice, you'll get an email letting you know how to apply for accommodation.

We've also got some information on what happens now with your UCAS application. You can keep track of it on UCAS Track, but typically it takes us 6-8 weeks to process an application. Of course this does vary!

If you haven't already joined our Facebook page, then that might be worth doing. We post lots of news and info for anyone joining us in 2015.

Good luck with your application!

Katie
Reply 26
Hi!
-I have applied for Communication and Media.
-I am currently studying Media, English Language and Sociology.
-Bournemouth has always been an option for me, it's close to home, but not too close :smile: The course content is perfect for what I am looking for and the accommodation is great!
-I went to the Open Day on the 15th November and it confirmed that Bournemouth is where I would love to study! If I am lucky enough to get an offer then it will definitely be my firm choice :smile:
Hi aelliott768,

My name is Gemma and I am a first year student at BU, studying Television Production.

Living is Bournemouth is great. It has everything to offer, lots of pubs, bars and clubs, a shopping center, cinema, food restaurants and of course the beach!
It has a great vibe because a lot of the accommodation is based in town at the Lansdown campus, so there are students everywhere!

If you had any more questions about Bournemouth University, feel free to ask!

Gemma
I received an unconditional offer here to do Law today!

Never felt so pleased.

Depending on my interview with York, this is definitely a top pick.
Hi aelliott768,

I studied a BA in Journalism at Bournemouth Uni 4 years ago, and I've just gone back to do an MA in Video Editing.
I love the University, and the town too. It has such a friendly vibe and it's brilliant being so close to the sea in the summer.
The nightlife is really good and there are lots of bars, clubs and pubs. The uni even has it's own pub on campus, and it's own club in the centre of town!
Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Alice
Original post by KatieMillman
Hey :smile:

So I have applied for 4 courses at Bournemouth :P Marketing, Marketing Communications, Business Studies and Advertising. So far I have an unconditional offer for Marketing Communications

I am currently studying business studies with marketing at college.

My decision isn't Bournemouth over another uni, it is uni or no uni, am I still undecided whether uni is for me or not :/

I haven't been to an open day but my brother was there for a year two years ago at Dorchester and I visited him a few times

Any opinions/reviews on these courses/the uni as a whole would be amazing haha please help me with my decision :P

Hi KatieMillman,

Congratulations on your offers, you've done really well to receive an unconditional! I am currently in my first year here at Bournemouth University and I am studying Marketing Communications and I'm loving it!

If you have any questions about the course or life at the university feel free to send me them :biggrin:

Chris
Original post by Katy_
Hi!
-I have applied for Communication and Media.
-I am currently studying Media, English Language and Sociology.
-Bournemouth has always been an option for me, it's close to home, but not too close :smile: The course content is perfect for what I am looking for and the accommodation is great!
-I went to the Open Day on the 15th November and it confirmed that Bournemouth is where I would love to study! If I am lucky enough to get an offer then it will definitely be my firm choice :smile:

Hi Katy_

I am currently studying Marketing Communications at BU and my housemate is doing Communication and Media. If you wanted to ask me anything about the courses or life here at Bournemouth feel free to send me any questions :biggrin:

Good luck with your results, I am sure you will get an offer!

Chris
Original post by turiga28
I am planning to study computing at Bournemouth university?What are the campus like?and the night life?Where do you go in your free time?

Hey turiga28,

I have just began my course at Bournemouth Uni and I am really enjoying it here!

Bournemouth has two campuses; Talbot and Lansdowne. Talbot Campus is the home to the majority of lecture theatres and seminar spaces, as well as the library and other study areas. All of the computing labs are based on the Talbot campus.

The Lansdowne campus where most students live and it is a short bus journey away from the Talbot campus. However you can choose to live on the Talbot campus in the Student Village if you wish. I am currently living there and my housemate who studies animation finds it really useful to be so close to all of the resources, specifically the labs.

The night life at Bournemouth is great!! There is a student bar on the Talbot campus and a student nightclub close to the Lansdowne campus. There are loads of other clubs in Bournemouth which offer, "Toast" is a really popular night-out where drinks are £1.50 and you actually get given toast!! :biggrin:

Finally the student union in Bournemouth has over 100 societies so there is plenty to get involved with! We have a Harry Potter society, murder mystery society, baking society and even a bacon appreciation society!! There is also the opportunity to play sports at a relaxed (non-competitive) or a varsity (leagues) level.

As a town Bournemouth has so many things you can do! In the first year you are offered a bus pass as a part of your accommodation and you can travel all around Bournemouth and Poole. In the first few weeks my housemates and I went to a bowling alley, a cinema and a greyhound racecourse!

BU really encourages student development; and so you will feel motivated to get involved. Students take part in lots of volunteering work as well as part-time jobs around the university. And of course you will be kept busy with work as well!!

If you have any further questions about your course of life at BU feel free to send them my way! :biggrin:

Chris.
Reply 33
Original post by GemmaJewell2
Hi aelliott768,

My name is Gemma and I am a first year student at BU, studying Television Production.

Living is Bournemouth is great. It has everything to offer, lots of pubs, bars and clubs, a shopping center, cinema, food restaurants and of course the beach!
It has a great vibe because a lot of the accommodation is based in town at the Lansdown campus, so there are students everywhere!

If you had any more questions about BournemouthUniversity, feel free to ask!

Gemma

Hi, Gemma! I am thinking to apply to BU Media Production or Television Production. Did they call you to attend an interview or ask for a portofolio?
Hello, I recieved an unconditional place to study law here starting september 2015.
Its either here or Southampton University, and I have my heart set on Bournemouth as a town/uni/ place to live and the general course with placement year... However, southampton is a russell group and people are still telling me to consider it? Any thoughts that i should have in mind, should i base my university on the russell group status!? i just dont know...
Original post by yasminkarabasic
Hello, I recieved an unconditional place to study law here starting september 2015.
Its either here or Southampton University, and I have my heart set on Bournemouth as a town/uni/ place to live and the general course with placement year... However, southampton is a russell group and people are still telling me to consider it? Any thoughts that i should have in mind, should i base my university on the russell group status!? i just dont know...

Hey. I also received an unconditional offer to study Law here too. Bournemouth is a gorgeous town and one I can definitely envision myself studying.

I have an offer at Liverpool and an interview at York, both of which are Russell Group Uni's. If I get into York, I will use Bournemouth as an insurance, and if not, I may actually just firm it as I'm not too sure on Liverpool personally.

At the end of the day, it's what suits you I guess. There is stigma towards the whole "Russell Group is best". Sure, it is, but it's also down to the individual's experience and wants, and if you like Bournemouth (I really, really do!), then it's worth considering.

For now personally, I'm going to wait until my York interview in two weeks to decide what my plan of action will be, but Bournemouth is extremely tempting.
Original post by SuperSah
Hey. I also received an unconditional offer to study Law here too. Bournemouth is a gorgeous town and one I can definitely envision myself studying.

I have an offer at Liverpool and an interview at York, both of which are Russell Group Uni's. If I get into York, I will use Bournemouth as an insurance, and if not, I may actually just firm it as I'm not too sure on Liverpool personally.

At the end of the day, it's what suits you I guess. There is stigma towards the whole "Russell Group is best". Sure, it is, but it's also down to the individual's experience and wants, and if you like Bournemouth (I really, really do!), then it's worth considering.

For now personally, I'm going to wait until my York interview in two weeks to decide what my plan of action will be, but Bournemouth is extremely tempting.

Hello :smile:
I know what you mean about Bournemouth being tempting because that's where I see me living, working, studying and so on. I don't know if the Russell group status is good for law, I literally know nothing about it and I can't help but feel it's just a socially constructed thing but all my teachers are telling me that Southampton is best and to realise the gravitas of a Russell group. Someone also told me that if you put an unconditional as insurance it no longer is unconditional ? I'm not sure how true that is unfortunately :frown:
The placement year is also soooo tempting.
I've signed up for a law school applicant day in Southampton on 10th of January and I feel after that I will know more and be able to make more of an informed decision. Thank you for your information! It has let me know that I am not alone :smile:
Hello :smile:
I know what you mean about Bournemouth being tempting because that's where I see me living, working, studying and so on. I don't know if the Russell group status is good for law, I literally know nothing about it and I can't help but feel it's just a socially constructed thing but all my teachers are telling me that Southampton is best and to realise the gravitas of a Russell group. Someone also told me that if you put an unconditional as insurance it no longer is unconditional ? I'm not sure how true that is unfortunately :frown:
The placement year is also soooo tempting.
I've signed up for a law school applicant day in Southampton on 10th of January and I feel after that I will know more and be able to make more of an informed decision. Thank you for your information! It has let me know that I am not alone :smile:

Only some Uni's remove unconditional status if you make it insurance. My Bournemouth offer does not say that if I make it insurance, they remove it as unconditional, it will remain unconditional, so there are no worries about that.

Just to be sure, check your Bournemouth offer, if it mentions it will be removed as an unconditional then you know, but mine doesn't say that.

In terms of Law, yes, a Russell Group is better unfortunately. I really like the look of Bournemouth and its placement. A placement will rocket you ahead in terms of employment, so you actually never know!

In cases like this, consider the advantages and disadvantages. It's better to excel somewhere you're comfortable, not where you're uncomfortable!
Original post by SuperSah
Only some Uni's remove unconditional status if you make it insurance. My Bournemouth offer does not say that if I make it insurance, they remove it as unconditional, it will remain unconditional, so there are no worries about that.

Just to be sure, check your Bournemouth offer, if it mentions it will be removed as an unconditional then you know, but mine doesn't say that.

In terms of Law, yes, a Russell Group is better unfortunately. I really like the look of Bournemouth and its placement. A placement will rocket you ahead in terms of employment, so you actually never know!

In cases like this, consider the advantages and disadvantages. It's better to excel somewhere you're comfortable, not where you're uncomfortable!

Mine doesn't say about it being removed if it's put as insurance, which is good I guess.
Yeah I think I need to draw up a pros and cons chart of each haha.

This whole placement year vs Russell group is what I find most confusing about it all. Russell groups are good for job prospects I presume, yet placement year gives , I think there's a term for it, like commercial something? Which is apparently sought for by employers. I think the word I'm looking for means employability skills/life skills -- not just being book smart if you get me?
Good luck on your interview :smile:
Mine doesn't say about it being removed if it's put as insurance, which is good I guess.
Yeah I think I need to draw up a pros and cons chart of each haha.

This whole placement year vs Russell group is what I find most confusing about it all. Russell groups are good for job prospects I presume, yet placement year gives , I think there's a term for it, like commercial something? Which is apparently sought for by employers. I think the word I'm looking for means employability skills/life skills -- not just being book smart if you get me?
Good luck on your interview :smile:

Thank you for the wellbeing, I appreciate it!

In that case, Bournemouth will allow you to insurance them and keep it unconditional. I saw a friends once for another Uni which stated if it was insurance, they'd waive the unconditional back to conditional! :/

In terms of employability, employers will LOVE the year of placement, providing you walk out with a 1st or 2:1. If you manage a 1st and the placement year? Then you could probably forget a Russell Group. Don't listen to me though, I'm just your average student also, but if I was an employer, work experience over knowledge is probably more important as you can still get a 1st regardless.

Weigh up your options. For now I'm putting it at the back of my mind, I have two weeks remaining to impress, haha, but Bournemouth keeps edging into my mind as a great opportunity.

Also, be realistic, you don't want to firm Southampton if you believe you may not make it, because Bournemouth will only give the bursary (if eligible) to those who firm it. Make sure you also consider that. If you fail Southampton, get Bournemouth and lose the substantial amount of support; could you still look after yourself? Think of the smaller details too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending