The Student Room Group

Animation at NUA, AUB, NT or EH.

I have condition offers from Bournemouth Arts, Norwich Arts, Nottingham Trent and Edge Hill, for animation, but I have no idea which option to put as my firm choice. All four of them have achievable offers, so the decision is mostly about the University.
The only one which I was able to visit for my interview was AUB, so I don’t know what the other options are actually like as universities, aside from what Ive read on their websites.
I like the look of the Norwich as a city, because it reminds me of home and I love the buildings. Bournemouth Arts seems like a nice course, but im less keen on the city itself, and I didn’t get to spend too much time looking around the University. Nottingham Trent seems alright but it also looks like a really big uni and im not sure if thats what I want, but Edge Hill is smaller, which i like, but not located in a city and having grown up in a City, I’m not sure about it.
If anyone does the subject and can make a suggestion on what the courses are like, what size the classes are, or what its like to be a student, any advice would be helpful, since the deadline is two months away.
(edited 5 years ago)
Bournemouth arts is supposed to be exceptional as a course with high success rates and a very good reputation- I was going to apply there when I was considering animation!
Norwich is also a really nice city with a cool trendy art scene but not as established as Bournemouth. As for Nottingham I’m not sure- I think the area is poorer and it has a lower success rate/ students are more ‘average’.
Personally I would firm Bournemouth and make Norwich the 2nd choice.
Hope this helps :-)
Reply 2
Original post by Izzythestudent
Bournemouth arts is supposed to be exceptional as a course with high success rates and a very good reputation- I was going to apply there when I was considering animation!
Norwich is also a really nice city with a cool trendy art scene but not as established as Bournemouth. As for Nottingham I’m not sure- I think the area is poorer and it has a lower success rate/ students are more ‘average’.
Personally I would firm Bournemouth and make Norwich the 2nd choice.
Hope this helps :-)

Thanks for the suggestion, Bournemouth Arts and Norwich Arts are probably my top two choices, though I still plan on looking into the other two. During the Interview Process those two felt the best of my choices though, so I’ll likely choose one or the other as my firm choice.
Hey there! I've been to NTU, NUA and AUB and had a chance to look around the unis and cities.

I personally love Bournemouth and applied to both BU for 3D and AUB for 2D. The beach is gorgeous (I grew up by the sea so I'm drawn to staying near it!), there seem to be quite a few nice restaurants and cafes without being too expensive, the botanical gardens are nice and there are a few clubs used by BU and AUB as far as I know. Since it has 2 quite big unis in it I think it's quite a student-orientated town.

I really liked Norwich when I went there; the city is pretty, it has a good creative scene and a few alternative clubs or venues as far as I know which appealed to me, but unfortunately the course and uni itself left a bit to be desired. I got a tour of the facilities from an illustration student who had nothing but bad things to say about NUA as a whole + told me her animation student flatmate dropped out because she didn't enjoy it. These are just two cases out of hundreds and it's different for everyone, but it was my only impression I was given so it put me off.

I went for my interview at NTU yesterday! I got the offer in the interview and was pretty impressed with their facilities, but something about the location and university itself put me off. I was trying to figure out what gave me such a bad feeling, and I realised because the university and city are SO huge (what with University of Nottingham also being there) it felt very... lonely. My parents also commented when we got home saying how easy it would be to feel alone or overwhelmed in such a huge place with so many people.

Overall you've got three good locations, it just depends on which one appeals to you personally. BUT remember the most important thing should be the course itself!
AUB - Well-established, creative skillset/screenskills accredited, mostly 2D but also 3D and stop-motion.
NUA - 2D, 3D, stop-motion, not accredited but looks like a fun course imo
NTU - VERY new course (they've only just graduated their first ever lot of third years), not accredited - one thing I was told by one of the course leaders yesterday was that they really don't want to teach you story-telling/writing for animation, they focus solely on giving you the skills to tell your own or pre-existing stories. (Some third years just animated kids books for their thesis)

What I suggest you do is look at the showreels on each course page and decide; is that the level of skill you want to have achieved by the end of your degree?
THEN look at the location. I don't know about EH but I do know that Norwich, Nottingham and Bournemouth will all have your basic necessities like transport, cafes, clubs, fast food, which I think is all you need personally ;^)
Reply 4
Original post by ClockworkPaws
Hey there! I've been to NTU, NUA and AUB and had a chance to look around the unis and cities.

I personally love Bournemouth and applied to both BU for 3D and AUB for 2D. The beach is gorgeous (I grew up by the sea so I'm drawn to staying near it!), there seem to be quite a few nice restaurants and cafes without being too expensive, the botanical gardens are nice and there are a few clubs used by BU and AUB as far as I know. Since it has 2 quite big unis in it I think it's quite a student-orientated town.

I really liked Norwich when I went there; the city is pretty, it has a good creative scene and a few alternative clubs or venues as far as I know which appealed to me, but unfortunately the course and uni itself left a bit to be desired. I got a tour of the facilities from an illustration student who had nothing but bad things to say about NUA as a whole + told me her animation student flatmate dropped out because she didn't enjoy it. These are just two cases out of hundreds and it's different for everyone, but it was my only impression I was given so it put me off.

I went for my interview at NTU yesterday! I got the offer in the interview and was pretty impressed with their facilities, but something about the location and university itself put me off. I was trying to figure out what gave me such a bad feeling, and I realised because the university and city are SO huge (what with University of Nottingham also being there) it felt very... lonely. My parents also commented when we got home saying how easy it would be to feel alone or overwhelmed in such a huge place with so many people.

Overall you've got three good locations, it just depends on which one appeals to you personally. BUT remember the most important thing should be the course itself!
AUB - Well-established, creative skillset/screenskills accredited, mostly 2D but also 3D and stop-motion.
NUA - 2D, 3D, stop-motion, not accredited but looks like a fun course imo
NTU - VERY new course (they've only just graduated their first ever lot of third years), not accredited - one thing I was told by one of the course leaders yesterday was that they really don't want to teach you story-telling/writing for animation, they focus solely on giving you the skills to tell your own or pre-existing stories. (Some third years just animated kids books for their thesis)

What I suggest you do is look at the showreels on each course page and decide; is that the level of skill you want to have achieved by the end of your degree?
THEN look at the location. I don't know about EH but I do know that Norwich, Nottingham and Bournemouth will all have your basic necessities like transport, cafes, clubs, fast food, which I think is all you need personally ;^)

Thank you for this! It’s nice to hear from someone who has visited. I went to AUB and whilst it was alright, and I liked the look of the course, I wasn’t sure that it was exactly what I wanted? I like that its near the sea too, cause im also from p close so it reminds me of home, but its also a lot more built up in the city than I’m used to, which would be hard to get used to. I agree with the NT thing, it is a really large Uni in a pretty populated area and it would be quite a big change, which is why I’m not sure. I like the idea of Norwich as it feels familiar and has the sort of vibe I like but there don’t seem to be any applicant days, and some people do seem to suggest its not the best, which does throw me a little.
I will take your advice and check out the showreels, that’s a really good idea tbh, thanks.
Original post by faerin47
I have condition offers from Bournemouth Arts, Norwich Arts, Nottingham Trent and Edge Hill, for animation, but I have no idea which option to put as my firm choice. All four of them have achievable offers, so the decision is mostly about the University.
The only one which I was able to visit for my interview was AUB, so I don’t know what the other options are actually like as universities, aside from what Ive read on their websites.
I like the look of the Norwich as a city, because it reminds me of home and I love the buildings. Bournemouth Arts seems like a nice course, but im less keen on the city itself, and I didn’t get to spend too much time looking around the University. Nottingham Trent seems alright but it also looks like a really big uni and im not sure if thats what I want, but Edge Hill is smaller, which i like, but not located in a city and having grown up in a City, I’m not sure about it.
If anyone does the subject and can make a suggestion on what the courses are like, what size the classes are, or what its like to be a student, any advice would be helpful, since the deadline is two months away.

I'm not currently at the university, i will hopefully be doing animation at Nottingham Trent university in 2019. If you haven't been to Nottingham yet i can confirm, it's focking huge! but the building itself, the weaverly its called or something like that, which you'll spend most of your time is so easy to navigate and relatively small compared to the newton building. The course tutors seem pretty nice and the university itself has good links with Aardman Animations ( i know its not the best animation company but its still a stepping stone) - Bournemouth has the best link with Pixar animation but like you said, the city looks like a granny town and not much going on (compared to nottingham). Inside the weaverly building there's 4 or 5 different rooms all with like a graphics tablet, think it was a wacom?. The classes aren't huge there's like 30 different monitors in each room so, i guess there's 30 students, not too sure (but i know that 3rd/2nd year student like to help year ones and the building is open untill 9 i think? so you can get lots of work done (the building has a shared space so i guess that's where you meet older students). Errrm what else can i say. its a nice atmosphere. I've been there 3 times now, twice with my mates and once with my dad, the cities night life began at 6 when i was there and did not stop! buzzing for that.
Yeah im not a student there yet so dont take my word for it.
Original post by Natbastow182
I'm not currently at the university, i will hopefully be doing animation at Nottingham Trent university in 2019. If you haven't been to Nottingham yet i can confirm, it's focking huge! but the building itself, the weaverly its called or something like that, which you'll spend most of your time is so easy to navigate and relatively small compared to the newton building. The course tutors seem pretty nice and the university itself has good links with Aardman Animations ( i know its not the best animation company but its still a stepping stone) - Bournemouth has the best link with Pixar animation but like you said, the city looks like a granny town and not much going on (compared to nottingham). Inside the weaverly building there's 4 or 5 different rooms all with like a graphics tablet, think it was a wacom?. The classes aren't huge there's like 30 different monitors in each room so, i guess there's 30 students, not too sure (but i know that 3rd/2nd year student like to help year ones and the building is open untill 9 i think? so you can get lots of work done (the building has a shared space so i guess that's where you meet older students). Errrm what else can i say. its a nice atmosphere. I've been there 3 times now, twice with my mates and once with my dad, the cities night life began at 6 when i was there and did not stop! buzzing for that.
Yeah im not a student there yet so dont take my word for it.
I was wondering if you could give me an update to how your time at NTU went? I currently have conditional offers to a couple of unis and I am deciding between AUB and NTU's animation courses for 2024. I'm not against big cities, however I do want to make sure I have connections with other students there and it's not overwhelming. I'm also curious on how NTU's animation course helped you after graduating. Plus any advice based on your time there would be incredibly helpful. Thank you if you reply!

Quick Reply

Latest