The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Ask a BU Student Rep

We're current BU students and are here to answer any of your questions on what it's like to live and study in Bournemouth.

Our names are Pip Hemingway, TV Production student, Will Rodwell, Media Production student and Jake Jones, Sport & Exercise Science student.

Feel free to reply to this thread asking any question about Bournemouth University, Bournemouth in general or University in general :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
How are degrees graded? For example, if I am a first year student, does that year contribute to my end result (eg, first class degree), or is it only final year exams?
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
How easy is it to change accomodation in first year?
Original post by inquisitiveguy
How are degrees graded? For example, if I am a first year student, does that year contribute to my end result (eg, first class degree), or is it only final year exams?

Hi Inquisitiveguy

I'm Will, a Media Production Student currently undertaking my Placement year.
Typically your first year doesn't account towards your final grade, but your assessments whether it is coursework or exams from Second year and Final year count towards your final grade. Typically the split is 30% (2nd Year) & 70% (Final Year). But it is always worth checking with the academic staff on your course to confirm this.

I hope this helps :smile:
Will
Original post by Anonymous

Hi Anonymous,

I'm Will, a Media Production student currently undertaking my Placement year.
I haven't personally been through the process of changing accommodations. But we have a whole team dedicated to our accommodations. You can contact them on [email protected]

I hope this helps
Will
Thank you. I didn’t find much on the website about academic based awards (not necessarily financial), or scholarships based on academic performance, after starting university.
Original post by inquisitiveguy
Thank you. I didn’t find much on the website about academic based awards (not necessarily financial), or scholarships based on academic performance, after starting university.

Hi Inquisitiveguy,

Will here again.
Here is our page on Academic Excellence Scholarships https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-funding/undergraduate-scholarships
I hope this helps
Will :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by BU Student Rep
We're current BU students and are here to answer any of your questions on what it's like to live and study in Bournemouth.
Our names are Pip Hemingway, TV Production student, Will Rodwell, Media Production student and Jake Jones, Sport & Exercise Science student.
Feel free to reply to this thread asking any question about Bournemouth University, Bournemouth in general or University in general :smile:

What will my contact hours be for my bsc biological sciences degree? and what will the split from lecture to lab hours be ?

Hi, My name is Ridhika and I am a BU rep, it depends on your contract agreement and this would meant that you would need to look into see if you are able to find someone take over your tenancy.
Original post by Mimipong
What will my contact hours be for my bsc biological sciences degree? and what will the split from lecture to lab hours be ?

Hi Mimipong, My name is Ridhika and I am a BU student representative. Timetable will usually depend on level and contact hours will vary depending on the unit. You will also be required to do reading outside your studies hours to help with knowledge building. I have looked on the bournemouth university website for you about the Bsc (Hans) biological sciences course.

This is the all the information on the course that is on the website: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-biological-sciences-2#:~:text=Develop%20biological%20knowledge%20and%20practical,individuals%2C%20societies%20and%20global%20environments.

This is the programme specification with the information on how many hours on a unit and what the percentage will be coursework or exam: https://intranetsp.bournemouth.ac.uk/progspecs/bsc-biological-sciences.pdf

Thank you so much for your question!
Best Wishes
Ridhika
What does a timetable for those on a foundation year look like? Is it the same as everyone else’s? It’s a science foundation and I’m not sure.

I also wanted to ask how hard a foundation year is? Are they really strict and also how’s the diversity at Bournemouth?

Final question- I don’t like drinking, etc. does this mean I won’t get on with my flatmates or many first years?
What does a timetable for those on a foundation year look like? Is it the same as everyone else’s? It’s a science foundation and I’m not sure.
I also wanted to ask how hard a foundation year is? Are they really strict and also how’s the diversity at Bournemouth?
Final question- I don’t like drinking, etc. does this mean I won’t get on with my flatmates or many first years?

Hello! My name is Ridhika and I am a student rep at Bournemouth university. I am a student in my second year and the timetable can vary from course to course. Foundation year is usually the year where you would learn the basics and this is a course that is a pre-degree which will help you with the basic knowledge such as Harvard referencing using the BU style. The diversity at bournemouth is very diverse and there many societies you will be able to join when you are starting to make new friends. BU has equality values which follows the UN Sustainability Goals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending