The Student Room Group

fashion communication uni portfolio?

I’m applying to uni for fashion communication- at AUB Bournemouth, UWE Bristol, Falmouth, Brighton and Bath Spa.
I’m currently working on my portfolio but i’m worried it’s not going to be good enough. I’m kind of lost on what to include and how big it should be. Has anyone here applied to the same course with a portfolio? If so, what did you include? Or if there was a way you could send me yours/what kind of stuff you did that would be great. The websites of the course obviously have guidelines on what to include but i’m still kind of lost :smile:
Usually fashion comms courses would cover blogs/zines/magazines for publications (the layout, photoshoots and the text content), merchandising, packaging etc for physical design work and logos/visual identity around branding and maybe commercial/advertising/promotional materials.

Have you got any work along those sorts of lines?
Original post by poppybliss77
I’m applying to uni for fashion communication- at AUB Bournemouth, UWE Bristol, Falmouth, Brighton and Bath Spa.
I’m currently working on my portfolio but i’m worried it’s not going to be good enough. I’m kind of lost on what to include and how big it should be. Has anyone here applied to the same course with a portfolio? If so, what did you include? Or if there was a way you could send me yours/what kind of stuff you did that would be great. The websites of the course obviously have guidelines on what to include but i’m still kind of lost :smile:

Hi @poppybliss77

The University of Brighton is running an online application portfolio advice session on Wednesday 21st February 5-6pm. I would recommend signing up to the event and you will get tips and advice from students and staff about how to prepare your portfolio and what you should include. You’ll also find out how to create a portfolio that will get you noticed and set you apart from other applicants 🙂

In the meantime, I would recommend reading through our portfolio advice page, as it has helpful tips on what sort of work you could include.

The below video also has really great tips too!

I hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your applications 🙂

Danielle - Brighton Uni Rep
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3

I’ve applied for this course for Brighton and Bournemouth too!! In my portfolio I submitted some drawings, some digital work, photography and photoshop pieces. I study a fashion diploma so I’m at advantage tbf but if you do art or something right now just show what you do! Show pieces you’re proud of but also pieces that are partly done or you don’t feel are your best and also your planning processes etc, not just the best stuff is important they want to see how you work and think ❤️
Original post by University of Brighton Enquiries
Hi @poppybliss77

The University of Brighton is running an online application portfolio advice session on Wednesday 21st February 5-6pm. I would recommend signing up to the event and you will get tips and advice from students and staff about how to prepare your portfolio and what you should include. You’ll also find out how to create a portfolio that will get you noticed and set you apart from other applicants 🙂

In the meantime, I would recommend reading through our portfolio advice page, as it has helpful tips on what sort of work you could include.

The below video also has really great tips too!

I hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your applications 🙂

Danielle - Brighton Uni Rep

Isn’t it a conflict of interest to coach applicants to produce a portfolio that will be used for their application?

Hi , long time since I did my Fashion Degree but I recall the importance of what we called sketch books/mood boards to show how you think, how you collate and then how you process this into innovative ideas. They do not have to be perfect- literally a collection of inspiration

Quick Reply

Latest