Scroll to see replies

Purbeck cos a friend of mine recommended it to me as they stay there atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by margetrose
yess!! What campus is your course on?

I'm not sure I think it's Talbot campus?? What about you?
I heard the best one is Dorchester
Reply 503
My heart is set on dorchester house as it looks really modern; it's next to the railway so i can travel home with ease and it has double beds :-) Does anyone have photos of what the premier en-suite for dorchester house? :-D
Received a conditional offer from Bournemouth for Forensic Computing and Security, just need to make sure I achieve the the grades required.

-What are you currently studying?
Currently study ICT, Business and Psychology at A Level

- Why Bournemouth University?
Had multiple friends study there that say that the University is fantastic so decided to go for it.

- Have you attended an open day or visit?
I applied late due to some unfortunate circumstances but am now positively looking at going to University, will be visiting the University in the next couple of weeks to see both accommodation and the University itself

Looking at living at Dorchester or Cranbourne :smile:
Original post by margetrose
What accommodation is everyone planning on choosing and why? x

I'm choosing Dorchester House - saw it on the applicant day and it was really nice. It was modern, biggest room and communal area I saw that BU offers. I don't mind it being a bit further away from town, it's only about 5-10 minutes walk till you arrive at the other accommodation. Just waiting for the accommodation portal to open and I can firm my accommodation.
Original post by MatthewPaulW
Received a conditional offer from Bournemouth for Forensic Computing and Security, just need to make sure I achieve the the grades required.

-What are you currently studying?
Currently study ICT, Business and Psychology at A Level

- Why BournemouthUniversity?
Had multiple friends study there that say that the University is fantastic so decided to go for it.

- Have you attended an open day or visit?
I applied late due to some unfortunate circumstances but am now positively looking at going to University, will be visiting the University in the next couple of weeks to see both accommodation and the University itself

Looking at living at Dorchester or Cranbourne :smile:

I'm going to be studying Computing at BU in September, glad you decided to go here. I had a struggle picking my firm but eventually decided to study here.

The campus itself is quite modern compared to other Universities and the facilities all have up to date hardware and software and they're open 24/7. Dorchester House was far the best accommodation, clean and modern. Cranborne looked good but smaller compared to Dorchester and is probably a good second option if you miss out on Dorchester.
Thank you for the information there Dettol123
Looking forward to starting in September!

Contemplating getting a transfer to Bournemouth from my current job to keep some form of income but I'm not sure
Original post by milkshake15
I know that you have to apply for student finance for the loans but just wondering is it the same for accommodation? And, will your parents be giving you any money each week. I'm struggling to decide whether to stay to a closer university as It'll be 500 pounds for the accommodation plus money for food so it's going to leave me in a lot of debt after I finish university :/
Not sure what to do...

Hi milkshake

My name is Amy and I am a second year student at BU.

First: don't worry. If you are smart with your money spending you will be fine.

Apply for all of the loans you can and that are available to you. You might also be applicable for the scholarships BU offers, so check that out. That is important as it will be the major part of your money.

If you go with the Student Village at BU(on the Talbot campus) for accommodation it should only cost £116 a week (max). That is one of the cheapest type here. Bills and wifi are included, so no need to worry about that.

If you do want to go to uni closer to home and commute instead you will save a lot of money, both in the short and long term.

If you shop smart (Aldi/lidi) and buy the stores own brands rather than named brands like Heniz you will also save a lot of money. By frozen food and freeze down any cooked meals leftovers so you don't buy more than you need or waste anything.

Try not to use a credit card if you can: that is the quickest way to run into more debt.

Plan out how much you think you are going to spend a month and keep a track of it (boring I know but it will really help with managing). Don't go out every night, and when you do, go where it is cheaper.

The honest answer is this: if you are careful with spending and managing your money you will be fine :smile:

This link is a guide from BU on managing money (I found it helpful last year). You will soon get used to it whatever and wherever you choose to go and lots of people can help if you are worried :biggrin:

https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-funding/budgeting

Hope that helps a little, if you have any more questions feel free to ask

Amy
Original post by gondalaver
You meant a week, didn't you?

Me! :biggrin:

Ok, can anybody explain to me one thing (even if it's the most stupid question here :P). Well, everybody says that Bournemouth is such an awsome place etc. Do you really mean Bournemouth? Or Poole, where the uni is actually situated (or at least its main campus)? I'm just a little bit confused now. :biggrin:

Not stupid at all :biggrin: Bournemouth and Poole do a weird sort of wiggle, so while the Talbot campus is Technically in Poole, most of Poole is Westwards a fair bit.

But both are really nice. Poole is a longish bus ride away (30 mins) and Bournemouth Town Center is about 15 mins bus ride (from Talbot campus).

If it is any comfort I am a second year student at BU and I still get confused to :biggrin:
Is anyone here knows what accommodation is the closest to talbot campus?

Any ideas how much you'll spend a month?

Thanks! :smile:
Hi Mart527

The student village is the closest residence to Talbot Campus.
Take a look at the information about the residences at the universities website here https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/discover/accommodation
That would be the student village which is actually at/on talbot campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 513
just confirmed my place aaah. Can you apply for accommodation now?
Original post by Ceebz

You can apply from the 26th of May I believe! :smile:
Original post by Ceebz

Congrats :wink:
What are you going to be studying?
Reply 516
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Congrats :wink:
What are you going to be studying?

Animation Arts hopefully!
Reply 517
Hoping to study Business at Bournemouth in September.

Was just wondering if there was much competition for applying to certain campus sites?

I like the look of Chesil House, however it says it only accommodates just over 200 students.

Provided I apply on the 26th May, is it still possible that I may not be able to get my first choice of accommodation?
Original post by Password911
Do you know anything about Purbeck House? As thats where im thinking to stay

Hi Password,

I have heard lots of nice things about Purbeck and every time I have been in Purbeck it has been nice. Purbeck has recently been refurbished and so it is still quite comfortable and new! Hope this has helped!

Chris :biggrin:
Original post by teddyray14
Thanks Chris! Are you a student at BU currently? If so which accommodation would you recommend? I don't want something too quite or too loud, just a mixture of everything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi TeddyRay14,

All of the accommodation that is offered is really nice, I would base your decision on your weekly budget. I think that Cranborne and Purbeck would be the most suitable accommodation as they are cheaper than Dorchester and Lyme but slightly nicer and more social than Chesil, Corfe and the Student Village.

Hope this has helped! Did you have any more questions?

Chris :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending