The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Bournemouth University Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ailish Myland
Hi Zoe,

Congratulations on receiving your offer to study at Bournemouth!! My name is Ailish and I am in my final year at Bournemouth University so thought I could offer a little advice about the accomodation on offer here at BU! :smile:

When I started in 2011, I chose Cranbourne Halls which is ideally located close to town centre and neighbours multiple other halls of residence (so you are never short of flat parties and meeting new people!) Living in halls was probably one of the best things about 1st year for me. Firstly, living in Lansdowne (this is where Cranbourne, Purbeck, Chesil, Lyme Regis, Hurne and Dorchester are based) is an ideal location. The Student Union night club is just a 5 minute walk away (so no wasting pennies on taxis) and the main clubs in the town centre are just down the road also! The beautiful beach in Bournemouth is a really fantastic selling point too and so living just down the road from it is fantastic! On many occassions, my flatmates and I would head to the sea front to relax on the sand and if we were feeling particularly studious, bring our books to study for an hour or so... :smile:

As you correctly mentioned, there is also the student village located on the Talbot campus and I do know people who happily lived there in their first year however it is roughly a 30 minute walk from town so you are a little further away from the wonderful night life that BU has to offer. If you are worried about being far away from campus living in one of the Halls at Lansdowne, don't be! Lots of students walk (it is actually a really nice, pretty walk and you'll be in good company with other students) and there is also a fantastic University bus service which stops just outside most of the halls.

Lots of the halls have en-suite bathrooms, but I would check online to be sure. Many halls have been recently refurbished too. Off the top of my head I know that Dorchester is very new and Cranbourne recently had a revamp so I am sure you will really enjoy living in Halls if that is what you choose!

If I had to pick the best Halls for first year I would personally recommend one of the Lansdowne based Halls; in terms of meeting new people, having a wonderful nightlife and enjoying the best of Bournemouth!

Hope that is helpful. It might be an idea to have a trip over to Bournemouth also, so you can get a feel for each of the areas, helping you make an informed decision about where you'd like to live.

Please feel free to let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Ailish :smile:

Hiya,
I was wondering if you had any information on lulworth student accommodation and whether it was a popular choice amongst students who didnt get any university based accommodation?
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 981
anyone staying in managed Accomodation ???
Original post by adeleO
Halls was my first choice but I chose my accommodation day after results day and only could manage a uni let home, I was reassured on the phone and stuff that I will still have the first year university experience but I'm just slightly worried I won't, I just want to to move in already and see If I like it :/

Hi adleO

You might find current student Patricia's blog about Unilet a helpful read - https://microsites.bournemouth.ac.uk/undergraduate/2014/03/03/unilove-unilive-unilet/. Also, Callum shares his Unilet experience in his blog - https://microsites.bournemouth.ac.uk/undergraduate/2014/02/24/my-experience-of-living-in-a-unilet-house/

You'll see there are many positives to living in Unilet!

See you in September!

Sarah, BU
-What course are you applying for?
Business Studies
-What are you currently studying?
Was doing economics, business, and eng lang/lit at A-level
- Why Bournemouth University?
Brother went there before me and recommended it :smile:
- Have you attended an open day or visit?
Nopeee
Does anyone know if you have to buy the freshers tickets in advance or can you get them on the day at the event! So torn between which ones to get :zomg:
Original post by dani5430
Does anyone know if you have to buy the freshers tickets in advance or can you get them on the day at the event! So torn between which ones to get :zomg:

Hi dani5430

You can just turn up at each event and buy tickets on the door. There are two events packs that you can order online before you arrive. There is a limited number of inclusive packs available so we recommend you place your order
early. However, there are enough Access packs for everybody, so you won’t miss out if you wait until you arrive!

You're advised against buying from any other outlet though. You should buy only from webelonghere.today.

Hope that helps!

Sarah
Hi,

Do you know how easy it is to find a part time job? Also how do you apply for the role of a student ambassador?
Original post by Savanii
Hi,

Do you know how easy it is to find a part time job? Also how do you apply for the role of a student ambassador?

Hi Savanii

As Bournemouth is a seaside town, there are lots of part-time jobs available in town. At the uni, there are opportunities to work in the Students' Union shops and bars. The Student Ambassador scheme is another great way to earn some extra pounds and great to put on your CV. The Student Ambassador role will be advertised on the VLE, myBU and mycareerhub after you've enrolled at BU.

Alice's blog gives a helpful insight to balancing part-time work and is worth a read.

Thanks

Sarah
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 988
Original post by Charlie8312
Hey, i just wanted to know if there is anyone on here studying tourism management? id like to get to know people.

hi! im also studying tourism management :smile:

im also in cranborne flat 27!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BTTFP3
hi! im also studying tourism management :smile:

im also in cranborne flat 27!

I'm doing tourism management too! see you guys soon :smile:
Reply 990
Anyone applied to study Law? :smile:
Is anyone else excited? In 22 days I start my next dream of becoming a nurse on the PgDip in mental health nursing... I'm so excited, I could pop x x
2 days guys!!!
Original post by lipslikemorphine
2 days guys!!!

I'm really anxious about it :frown:.
Original post by Sanctus
I'm really anxious about it :frown:.

No no no, it will all be fine!

are you all moved in now?
Is anyone else here staying in Hotels?
Tomorrows the day :smile: x
How's everyone enjoying it so far X X x
Original post by Melbourner
How's everyone enjoying it so far X X x

Pretty good! :biggrin:
I'm not too into clubbing but what I've done in the past 2 weeks has been fun. Bit suprised at how quickly I've been given actual essays to write already, although I can cope with it (at the moment).
I think finding the anime society was also a plus.
Hello,

I am applying for study in 2016 and this week received my log in details for Myhub. My question is: Do we receive emails if BU have updated Myhub or do we have to check it on a regular occurrence?

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending