The Student Room Group

Young people 'have nothing to live for' - agree/disagree?

Poll

How do you feel about your future?

As many as three quarters of a million young people in the UK may feel that they have nothing to live for, a study for the Prince's Trust charity claims.

Urgent action must be taken to prevent the young jobless becoming the young hopeless, it says.

What about you guys? Do you agree? How are you dealing with the difficulties in finding employment?

Scroll to see replies

Finding a job is no easy task. But you just have to face rejection and keep going.

I have ensured early on that my CV can be the best possible to give me a good chance of gaining employment in the future.

As long as you have some decent references it isn't too bad.
Original post by DiddyDec
Finding a job is no easy task. But you just have to face rejection and keep going.

I have ensured early on that my CV can be the best possible to give me a good chance of gaining employment in the future.

As long as you have some decent references it isn't too bad.

I guess the difficulty is that you need a reference to get a job, need a job to get a reference... bit of a catch 22 situation really.

It's good that you're already thinking about making sure your CV is as good as it can be. :smile: Are you still a student currently?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I guess the difficulty is that you need a reference to get a job, need a job to get a reference... bit of a catch 22 situation really.

It's good that you're already thinking about making sure your CV is as good as it can be. :smile: Are you still a student currently?

Some of the best references a young person can get are from volunteer work. It shows that they are willing to work hard for no money. There are plenty of places that look for volunteers and it is a good place to start when you have a relatively weak CV.

I'm currently a student, but I did take a gap year which allowed me to further bolster my CV with some good work. My current CV is a work of art, very strong for someone of my age (20). But you have to put the work in early if you want to give yourself the advantage over others who will have a CV filled with education and no real working experience.
I don't understand the statement. Life is fun. Even if you don't feel like you have some kind of amazing purpose, so what? Just have fun. its better than not having fun. Work to live, don't live to work.
No-one has anything to live for. Pls dont say "oh i live for family blah blah". Although jobs help to keep the world running, they also exist to give mankind some sort of meaning, and a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

Get a job: get depressed/stressed

No job: depressed, nothing to live for.

Fk this life, it's such a waste.

This is why you need religion

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought that we work to live not live to work...? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cole-slaw
I don't understand the statement. Life is fun. Even if you don't feel like you have some kind of amazing purpose, so what? Just have fun. its better than not having fun. Work to live, don't live to work.

This is a good attitude to have. :smile:

But long-term unemployment can have a really negative impact on people and their sense of self-worth, which I think is what the study was looking at.
***ing emos.
To an extent it is true. Especially nowadays many people go to university have a good 3 years but afterwards are unemployed for quite some time or they find themselves in a dead end job then reality hits you. Working hard for nothing basically
Reply 10
Original post by cole-slaw

I agree fully with this.

Job is just a means to make money.

Spend your life developing your character, don't just be another drone.
Original post by karmacrunch
I thought that we work to live not live to work...? :confused:

I suppose the problem is that when you can't find work you lose your sense of autonomy and self-worth as you become reliant on other people to support you - it's all about finding a good balance between working and having fun I think. :smile:
I think my future will not be here. There are so many life forms, why I should be hopeless, not to mention to think I have no future?
Reply 13
I think that regardless of the situation a person can't allow themselves to feel hopeless because it creates an atmosphere of negativity which is hard to break and only perpetuates more hopelessness. If you have no hope you have no driving force for action and therefore do nothing to combat the hopelessness. You must therefore remain positive through adversity and always be striving to achieve something meaningful in your life if only to maintain the hope for something better.

^^ If my life plan falls flat I'm going to write a self help book, I think I have a talent for inspired bull****!
Original post by Wattsy

^^ If my life plan falls flat I'm going to write a self help book, I think I have a talent for inspired bull****!

I honestly think you'd be good at it! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Mixed feelings for myself - flitting between hopelessness and hopefulness is the way that youth has been since the dawn of time and will continue to be. It's all part of growing up.
What about you guys? Do you agree? How are you dealing with the difficulties in finding employment?

I'm optimistic.

While getting a graduate will probably prove difficult if worse comes to worse I'll manage a bar and still end up higher than 30k.

Life is not easy, if you simply give up then you are weak.

I feel like a pile of ****
Original post by ineedtorevise127
To an extent it is true. Especially nowadays many people go to university have a good 3 years but afterwards are unemployed for quite some time or they find themselves in a dead end job then reality hits you. Working hard for nothing basically

Then Labour shouldnt have encouraged the 50th percentile to attend university, should they?
(edited 9 years ago)
If you all follow the same path i can see why so many will be feeling hopeless.

Get off the beaten track.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending