The Student Room Group

Do you (or would like to) play a musical instrument?

I've been watching the Don't Stop the Music documentary on channel 4 and was wondering - how many of you out there play an instrument, or would have liked too?

I myself play saxophone, and have done so since I was in year 8. I first started to learn using the schools sax, before my parents saved up and bought me one for Christmas. I'm thinking that if it hadn't been for the fact my school hadn't had the facilities, I wouldn't be playing the sax and wouldn't have had all the amazing experiences I've had with it.

If you play an instrument, how did you start out?

If you don't play, what was it that stopped you? Was there a lack of funding or facilities to help?

Just wondering :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

In school (Year 7- year 11) I played the Clarinet with the schools clarinet but had t ogive it up after GCSE as buying a good quality clarinet was far too expensive to carry on with it unfortunately :frown: I also picked up the Saxophone in year 10 but due to clarinet being my main instrument during GCSE music I never really had any time to focus on it I bought myself my own Sax and everything, planning on focusing more on it during my gap year this year though :smile:
Original post by LouieSax
In school (Year 7- year 11) I played the Clarinet with the schools clarinet but had t ogive it up after GCSE as buying a good quality clarinet was far too expensive to carry on with it unfortunately :frown: I also picked up the Saxophone in year 10 but due to clarinet being my main instrument during GCSE music I never really had any time to focus on it I bought myself my own Sax and everything, planning on focusing more on it during my gap year this year though :smile:

I would like to play my sax more - I haven't really played it much this year as I haven't really had much time to :/ I'll definitely try to find the time his year.
I very much prefer to play as part of a group myself, I still get quite nervous playing on my own. I played quite a lot in secondary school when I was in the school orchestra, I loved it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Been playing Piano since I've been 4. Now Im 15, Post-Grade-8 and preparing for an ATCL Diploma in the winter. I'm also Grade 7 on the Bassoon. Slightly different situation for me though, since I'm home-schooled and so was able to put more time aside to enhance my music.
Original post by HBPrincess
I would like to play my sax more - I haven't really played it much this year as I haven't really had much time to :/ I'll definitely try to find the time his year.
I very much prefer to play as part of a group myself, I still get quite nervous playing on my own. I played quite a lot in secondary school when I was in the school orchestra, I loved it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here due to having my A Levels and things I haven't played much in the past two years or so but I definitely would like to play more now that my A Levels are over! I used to play the Sax quite a bit and I loved it to pieces, I wasn't very good at it mind you! If I'm honest, I enjoyed it a bit more than Clarinet but because I had played clarinet for longer that was the instrument I chose to focus on for GCSE because I was far better at it than Sax and Iad had more experience with the instrument. To be honest, I never really had the confidence to play much as part of a small group or on my own in front of others (mostly played on my own in my own house haha) However, during my GCSE we had to perform infron of parents and teachers and my techer (who disliked me a little bit) made sure that I played in front of everyone on my own doing my solo piece and I really did enjoy it, if I am put in the situation I will deliver but I was never brilliant at playing my instrument particularly so, I wasn't hugely confident but for my GCSE piece I spent hours and hours perfecting it, so I was a little less panicked :smile:
I wish I could play the violin :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can play a little piano - Had lessons when I was little and it's kinda that how I first started getting into playing music, but I've never really been very good at not letting my fingers slip all over the place and trying to do two things at once. That's one of things I liked about playing the sax.

I would also love to play the violin too, or perhaps the guitar. I find violins very beautiful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I wish I could play the violin :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to play the violin in school. I pretty much treated it like a competition. As soon as I became the best musician in the group, I quit. I never had an emotional connection to the music until I heard a young girl playing the violin in town and it broke my heart realising I gave it up.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Start playing, you'll love it.
Reply 8
always wanted to learn to play drums and guitar
I wish I could play the bass. But I couldn't apply to classes because my dad wanted me to do a sport, but that didn't happen :biggrin:
Irony is that he wants to play the bass too.
The sax is really cool also :smile:
I've played flute since about year 4 and I used a school one until I left primary school and then, like you, my parents bought me one. A couple of years ago I saved up and used christmas and birthday money to buy myself a saxophone, which I love! I've gone through phases of having lessons and teaching myself depending on what we can afford and things but music is basically my life now, it's what keeps me going sometimes :colondollar:

I'd love to help in a project like that- I was meant to for one in my area starting up last year but then the headteacher of my school wouldn't let us. I was thinking as a watched the programme that I should see if there's any way of getting involved still in my gap year :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Used to play guitar - would like to start again, but I'm lacking a teacher
I play classical and acoustic guitar.On the first of high school someone from my class had brought her guitar and i became interested. (Later she became my best friend :biggrin:) I said hi, can you teach me a little :biggrin: Now im playing for 4-5 years.I also play a little organ.

I'd like to play the piano and cello.
Original post by furryface12
I've played flute since about year 4 and I used a school one until I left primary school and then, like you, my parents bought me one. A couple of years ago I saved up and used christmas and birthday money to buy myself a saxophone, which I love! I've gone through phases of having lessons and teaching myself depending on what we can afford and things but music is basically my life now, it's what keeps me going sometimes :colondollar:
]

I tried to play the flute once - I nearly passed out ^_^

You get used to it, trust me! I was the same with sax when I first started it (I can't really remember flute), I still struggle with it sometimes but that's the problem with a severe asthmatic playing a wind instrument I guess :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I play the oboe, though I love the violin, specially Sibelius and Brahm's concertos ;D I want to be a professional musician when I'm older :wink:

Haha, try the oboe!
I stopped playing the piano and wish I hadn't. I sing, though. La la la.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I play the violin. 4 years now! :ahee:
Original post by Omni Vanitas
I play the oboe, though I love the violin, specially Sibelius and Brahm's concertos ;D I want to be a professional musician when I'm older :wink:

The oboe's so weird to play! The whole double reed thing just feels weird :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest