The Student Room Group

Westminster school music scholarships

Hey does anyone know if I stand a chance for getting a music scholarship?
I did grade 8 piano last year and got a distinction and next month I’ll be doing the ARSM exam

I am currently also enrolled in the Royal Academy of Music’s Junior Academy Saturday program and I have a current grade of 9 in the music GCSE.

I’ve participated in many competitions. Does anyone think I could stand a chance?
Reply 1
Hi!!! I'm in no way qualified to judge bc my school doesn't do music, but from what I've read on the long wstm application threads, as long as you get 2/3 good exams out of the 4 they test you on and have good interviews you'll be fine :smile:. I'd like to apply for 2024 entry too (I presume?) and I've been stalking the threads on them haha. What subjects would you apply to take? I think I'd like to do maths/further maths/history + econ/philosophy.
Reply 2
Hi, I don't mean to discourage you but competition is really fierce. They give out very few music scholarships at 16+ and you have to have a strong second instrument as well. For reference, I have ARSM in piano and grade 8 in my second instrument and they told me that was 'the lower end of the scholarship applicants'. Still, I think it's worth giving it a try, the teachers were really nice at the audition. (I didn't get the scholarship btw)
Original post by RobynVC
Hey does anyone know if I stand a chance for getting a music scholarship?
I did grade 8 piano last year and got a distinction and next month I’ll be doing the ARSM exam

I am currently also enrolled in the Royal Academy of Music’s Junior Academy Saturday program and I have a current grade of 9 in the music GCSE.

I’ve participated in many competitions. Does anyone think I could stand a chance?

yh it would be ideal to have another instrument but do apply you never know you could get one since you seem to be expectionally good at piano! im also applying and am grade 8 violin and grade 8 viola, and i play other various instruments at grade 5 level. Im hoping that they will consider me since good viola players are a very rare thing to come across these days!
hey! I got the scholarship to ws when I applied and if anyones reading the thread (like I used to when I was applying) I just really want to reassure you that the competition is NOT as fierce as everyone thinks. Yes I'm pretty good but im def not a prodigy or anything like that. I just applied with a regular grade 8 in my first instrument, g7 in second, g8 in third. I did my first two studies and just generally acted like an enthusiastic person in the interview. I'm a student at ram and I spent a pretty long time preparing my pieces, but honestly the other applicants just didn't seem as strong as I expected and, against all my expectations, I actually got the scholarship. I think it just comes down to the fact that, to get a music scholarship, you have to be strong enough academically to get in, which narrows the field a lot. Maybe my year was just particularly weak, but if you really want the scholarship I'd say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending