The Student Room Group

Music Lovers and Nerds please help

okay this is very different to the kind of questions i usually ask here but I've got this crush on a boy and we're pretty close and he's a HUGE nerd for music. He's played different music instruments growing up and he song writes and likes making his own music even though he doesn't plan to get into the field it brings him a lot of joy. He's especially into the history of rap and the battles between the west coast and east coast, and told me the whole history making me listen to the rap battles and songs written by huge artists from each side. He loves weird music in the sense that they don't follow the conventional rhythms and beats (I'm not sure what they're called but when you say the beats are 3-4 or repeating by a certain pace).

I want to impress him or I guess I wanna learn more about it and have him speak and explain more to me but I don't really know enough to ask him about. So I guess give me ideas on questions to ask him he'd love to talk about and explain (he loves teaching and being listened to), or topics I should read about and just know so I can tell him I do? Or just things to do to make him like me more as stupid as this sounds.

He knows I song write, I don't play instruments but I used to learn piano growing up but a long time ago and I don't that well.
Reply 1
Don't do it! Nobody likes a fake and you could make yourself look silly if you ask a question, he answers...and you run out of things to say next, or if someone winds you up on here and feeds you total nonsense. He already likes you enough to talk at length about his interest, why not discuss whatever yours is? You don't have to have the same hobbies to get along with someone; I've got a football season ticket, my boyfriend just knows to ask occasionally how my team is doing and has never been to a game with me. And that suits us both.
You'll have more chance of impressing him if you impress yourself by discovering some genres of music that are far better than the (c)rap music he's into.

For example:
Mozart
Tom Johnston era Doobie Brothers
Jon Anderson era Yes
Earth Wind And Fire
George Michael: Faith album
Timmy Thomas
More obscure stuff like Richard Thompson, Roy Harper, Gene Loves Jezebel, Spear of Destiny, Lyle Lovett, Eppu Normaali, Grand Funk Railroad etc etc

If he really loves music he will love variety.
Go ahead and ask him what he thinks of some of the stuff you've been listening to lately. You can have some fun by asking him in a way where you assume he's familiar with the artists / songs you're talking about (because he's so into music). And act pretend surprised when he's not familiar with them. And then suggest he listens to a track or two of your stuff and get his thoughts on it.

As a general guide, you will come across as more attractive if you politely assert your frame (whilst tolerating his) than if you fall into his frame.
Ask him! People love to share their interests with someone who's genuinely interested.
Original post by Anonymous #1
okay this is very different to the kind of questions i usually ask here but I've got this crush on a boy and we're pretty close and he's a HUGE nerd for music. He's played different music instruments growing up and he song writes and likes making his own music even though he doesn't plan to get into the field it brings him a lot of joy. He's especially into the history of rap and the battles between the west coast and east coast, and told me the whole history making me listen to the rap battles and songs written by huge artists from each side. He loves weird music in the sense that they don't follow the conventional rhythms and beats (I'm not sure what they're called but when you say the beats are 3-4 or repeating by a certain pace).

I want to impress him or I guess I wanna learn more about it and have him speak and explain more to me but I don't really know enough to ask him about. So I guess give me ideas on questions to ask him he'd love to talk about and explain (he loves teaching and being listened to), or topics I should read about and just know so I can tell him I do? Or just things to do to make him like me more as stupid as this sounds.

He knows I song write, I don't play instruments but I used to learn piano growing up but a long time ago and I don't that well.

honestly if you just show interest in the things he likes, that would be super nice !!!!! maybe ask him for some album recommendations or ask him to talk about rap history with you so you can learn !!! also ask about the unconventional rhythms and beats, i wanna know some stuff to try out too !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending