The Student Room Group

OCR F585 June 2015 The Global Economy

Scroll to see replies

Is there anybody here purchasing the APT/ Tutor2u toolkits? If so, would you consider sharing this? If not then is there anybody willing to split the costs to buy it together?
Reply 41
Original post by L'Etudiant
Is there anybody here purchasing the APT/ Tutor2u toolkits? If so, would you consider sharing this? If not then is there anybody willing to split the costs to buy it together?

How much is it?
Reply 42

I am willing to split the cost, that would be great.
Original post by Fade
How much is it?

Original post by nayah
I am willing to split the cost, that would be great.

From what I've heard the APT toolkit is the better one. From the website provided it seems like it will be £66 after VAT is applied. Could someone first confirm what format the toolkit is in? So I know whether it is indeed possible to share it or not?
From what I've heard the APT toolkit is the better one. From the website provided it seems like it will be £66 after VAT is applied. Could someone first confirm what format the toolkit is in? So I know whether it is indeed possible to share it or not?

I am also thinking about buying this, but if someone can buy it and share it, would be noice.
Original post by Hody421
I am also thinking about buying this, but if someone can buy it and share it, would be noice.

There is an incomplete version available for free online. It is a .pdf so it can indeed be shared. :smile:
There is an incomplete version available for free online. It is a .pdf so it can indeed be shared. :smile:

To people that have done Global first:

-How hard is it, in comparison to Transport (if youve started it)
-Does it have the same set up i.e Choice when it comes to the essay question
-Your AS unit 2 grade (If you dont mind)
Original post by A level sufferer
To people that have done Global first:

-How hard is it, in comparison to Transport (if youve started it)
-Does it have the same set up i.e Choice when it comes to the essay question
-Your AS unit 2 grade (If you dont mind)

Only just started global but it seems very like unit 2 so far not too much more difficult (I got 100 in unit 2 btw) and no there is no choice of essay question like with transport :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Only just started global but it seems very like unit 2 so far not too much more difficult (I got 100 in unit 2 btw) and no there is no choice of essay question like with transport :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
You all are so ahead of me. My school isn't even halfway through Transport and we haven't touched Global because we haven't had a teacher for weeks! Any advice for catching up or useful resources would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by edumcater
You all are so ahead of me. My school isn't even halfway through Transport and we haven't touched Global because we haven't had a teacher for weeks! Any advice for catching up or useful resources would be greatly appreciated :smile:

We're only a third way through global and transport :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Transport is a piece of cake bar the last section on COBA/CBA and Nara..... Start global next week and I really am worried about it's difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find this unit so hard and I got an A in macro economics last year. I have a mock tomorrow on unit 2 and I don't understand how anything we have done from the text book and classwork links to answering questions. I find the questions so weirdly worded as well and our teacher refuses to let us do the questions based on the case study material because he says it will help us do our analysis by just doing questions which don't relate to any material. But you cannot do any of the 10 mark questions and even some of the 6 mark questions without some understanding from the case studies.

I guess that is the reason why we have the case studies in the exam you don't have enough material to write answers to questions without the case studies.
Hey guys i took the F585 exam last year, this exam is all about exam practice and studying the pre-release material until you can recite it word for word! well not really but you must have a very good understanding of all the main concepts that it contains. I achieved an A* in economics achieving 100ums in F585 so any questions feel free to ask!
Also please take a look at my blog where i discuss recent economic events, I am currently in an internship with GLA economics that deal with economic forecasting for London so I get receive some very interesting data! so have a look - https://eurozonecrisisgesat50.blogspot.com
Original post by kingdoo
I find this unit so hard and I got an A in macro economics last year. I have a mock tomorrow on unit 2 and I don't understand how anything we have done from the text book and classwork links to answering questions. I find the questions so weirdly worded as well and our teacher refuses to let us do the questions based on the case study material because he says it will help us do our analysis by just doing questions which don't relate to any material. But you cannot do any of the 10 mark questions and even some of the 6 mark questions without some understanding from the case studies.

I guess that is the reason why we have the case studies in the exam you don't have enough material to write answers to questions without the case studies.

o.O that's weird...
my teacher set us some questions and ask us answer with the reference to the case study...
i agree, the question is weird so vagueee...i just don't understand what they're trying to ask and i end up giving the unwanted answers!
Original post by Makashima
o.O that's weird...
my teacher set us some questions and ask us answer with the reference to the case study...
i agree, the question is weird so vagueee...i just don't understand what they're trying to ask and i end up giving the unwanted answers!

Yeah I had a test yesterday and it was all based on questions from exams without the referring back to the case study info. An example of how I find it to extend my points is one of the 6 markers was analyze the negative effects of monetary unions. My first point was inflationary/deflationary bias. This point was easy to extend with reference to economic cycles and interest rates so I am sure I got 3/3 for that but my next point was loss of sovereignty which is valid... but how do you extend that into economic analysis err. The one I should have done was fiscal transfers or whatever it is in the text book but I forgot why that was a reason probably means I got 4/6 instead of 5 or 6/6. yet if it was referred to a case study then it would probably say something about the sovereignty and therefore you would use that as analysis.

I also don't know how much to write about the 10 markers. I had 2 yesterday, no 20 markers because they are normally case study heavy. But I just did an introduction of the 1 or 2 key terms. Then analyzed a for point an against point and then concluded using depend on points. But I am wondering if we were supposed to do 2 for or against points depending on the question and then 1 for or against counter argument and then depends on. I just don't think I had enough detail what so ever.

As for transport economics it is easy but there is a lot of linking from all the diagrams and all the costs and revenue and stuff which I find hard to remember. But it is definitely more easy and just really needs learning. I seen some of the past paper questions and they are much more straight forward and you get to choose the 20 marker which is so good.

The hardest part of transport is linking longer mark questions to actual transport examples.:smile:
Original post by kingdoo
Yeah I had a test yesterday and it was all based on questions from exams without the referring back to the case study info. An example of how I find it to extend my points is one of the 6 markers was analyze the negative effects of monetary unions. My first point was inflationary/deflationary bias. This point was easy to extend with reference to economic cycles and interest rates so I am sure I got 3/3 for that but my next point was loss of sovereignty which is valid... but how do you extend that into economic analysis err. The one I should have done was fiscal transfers or whatever it is in the text book but I forgot why that was a reason probably means I got 4/6 instead of 5 or 6/6. yet if it was referred to a case study then it would probably say something about the sovereignty and therefore you would use that as analysis.

I also don't know how much to write about the 10 markers. I had 2 yesterday, no 20 markers because they are normally case study heavy. But I just did an introduction of the 1 or 2 key terms. Then analyzed a for point an against point and then concluded using depend on points. But I am wondering if we were supposed to do 2 for or against points depending on the question and then 1 for or against counter argument and then depends on. I just don't think I had enough detail what so ever.

As for transport economics it is easy but there is a lot of linking from all the diagrams and all the costs and revenue and stuff which I find hard to remember. But it is definitely more easy and just really needs learning. I seen some of the past paper questions and they are much more straight forward and you get to choose the 20 marker which is so good.

The hardest part of transport is linking longer mark questions to actual transport examples.:smile:

ahhh i see! well goodluck buddy!
i am doing leisure and work, also a bit stuck with memorising the diagrams too but time is all i need so hopefully it'll be sorted soon...

for 20 markers, it's more safe to put 2 for and 2 against if not then three 2 for or 1 against or other way round. unless you expand on one point specifically very well...not saying you won't...ah i suppose u also did a conclusion too...

also what book you using?
(edited 9 years ago)
ahhh i see! well goodluck buddy!
i am doing leisure and work, also a bit stuck with memorising the diagrams too but time is all i need so hopefully it'll be sorted soon...

for 20 markers, it's more safe to put 2 for and 2 against if not then three 2 for or 1 against or other way round. unless you expand on one point specifically very well...not saying you won't...ah i suppose u also did a conclusion too...

also what book you using?

Thanks good luck to u too.

Actually it was for 10 markers so I am still not sure if 1 for and 1 against and then conclusion with depends on points was enough.:smile:
It's Christmas holiday, so I reckon to go back and do some Global economy revision. And I am completely lost and somewhat forgotten a lot of stuff. Immersing into the darkness with full of miserable stress LEL

Anyway one of the specification says:

show an awareness of the recent macroeconomic performance of the UK

How aware are you guys???

Uh I don't know if I am aware or not . I know what most would ie about that 2007/8 global crisis which affected the whole UK. From 1995-2008 a widening trade deficit worth of £92bn. An apparently recovery from 2014? 0.8 growth in the second quarter 2014

lack of knowledge :/ tbh I am not very awareeeeeeeeeee
It's Christmas holiday, so I reckon to go back and do some Global economy revision. And I am completely lost and somewhat forgotten a lot of stuff. Immersing into the darkness with full of miserable stress LEL

Anyway one of the specification says:

show an awareness of the recent macroeconomic performance of the UK

How aware are you guys???

Uh I don't know if I am aware or not . I know what most would ie about that 2007/8 global crisis which affected the whole UK. From 1995-2008 a widening trade deficit worth of £92bn. An apparently recovery from 2014? 0.8 growth in the second quarter 2014

lack of knowledge :/ tbh I am not very awareeeeeeeeeee

Being honest, I have done all of the past papers and have only seen very few marks be awarded for detailing specific figures related to the UK. The question awarded marks for detailing the target inflation rate and upper and lower targets for the UK.

It is unlikely to be needed in the shorter questions (as the data you will probably need will be in the case study) although it could be useful to show further knowledge and understanding in the longer questions ie. knowing the inflation rate when talking about UK internetional competitiveness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending