The Student Room Group

The more useful degree out of these two?

I'm going to study Illustration in a few weeks but am having some doubts in terms of how it will help me get a job when I graduate. I'd love to be a self employed artist/illustrator but I'm also really interested in Psychology and could see myself making art in my spare time. Do you think Psychology is a better degree and more useful? thanks :smile: x
Psychology for more realistic approach towards working society.
Illustration would be better as hobby or sidejob.

Which one are you more passionate about?
Reply 2
Original post by Black Cat
Psychology for more realistic approach towards working society.
Illustration would be better as hobby or sidejob.

Which one are you more passionate about?Well I love drawing but am curious about Psychology as I feel I'd be learning something rather than developing my skill, which I do in my free time anyway. Also, you don't necessarily need to have an Illustration degree to be an illustrator but you probably need a Psychology degree to be a psychologist - which sounds like a great job to have! :colone: I'd probably rather be a psychologist by day and an artist by night to be honest. My mum thinks that with an Illustration degree I can graduate and automatically work as a freelance illustrator - which isn't likely in this economy lol. I'm passionate about art but I just feel that Illustration might be a mickey mouse degree... My mum also doesn't think I should do Psychology as I'm not a 'people person' - I'm quite introverted but I love body language and social experiments and everything to do with psychology! It's quite worrying that I'm starting my Illustration course in exactly two weeks and I'm thinking of changing :s-smilie:
Original post by soph94x
Well I love drawing but am curious about Psychology as I feel I'd be learning something rather than developing my skill, which I do in my free time anyway. Also, you don't necessarily need to have an Illustration degree to be an illustrator but you probably need a Psychology degree to be a psychologist - which sounds like a great job to have! :colone: I'd probably rather be a psychologist by day and an artist by night to be honest. My mum thinks that with an Illustration degree I can graduate and automatically work as a freelance illustrator - which isn't likely in this economy lol. I'm passionate about art but I just feel that Illustration might be a mickey mouse degree... My mum also doesn't think I should do Psychology as I'm not a 'people person' - I'm quite introverted but I love body language and social experiments and everything to do with psychology! It's quite worrying that I'm starting my Illustration course in exactly two weeks and I'm thinking of changing :s-smilie:

Eurgh hate it when people claim that certain courses are micky mouse degrees that isn't true. Every degree has it own value and merits which could possible help someone with their future. I'd advise you to go for psychology there will be more opportunities for you in careers opposed to illustration. You don't really need a degree to get into freelance illustration but you need one to become a psychologist.

If you're passionate about illustration then go for it but you'd have to focus on a freelance career to become successful. Introvert or extrovert it doesn't matter as long as you can understand people that is all you need for psychology. You can do both for example you can be a psychologist during working hours and a free lance illustrator in your free time.

Goodluck:biggrin:
Original post by soph94x
Well I love drawing but am curious about Psychology as I feel I'd be learning something rather than developing my skill, which I do in my free time anyway. Also, you don't necessarily need to have an Illustration degree to be an illustrator but you probably need a Psychology degree to be a psychologist - which sounds like a great job to have! :colone: I'd probably rather be a psychologist by day and an artist by night to be honest. My mum thinks that with an Illustration degree I can graduate and automatically work as a freelance illustrator - which isn't likely in this economy lol. I'm passionate about art but I just feel that Illustration might be a mickey mouse degree... My mum also doesn't think I should do Psychology as I'm not a 'people person' - I'm quite introverted but I love body language and social experiments and everything to do with psychology! It's quite worrying that I'm starting my Illustration course in exactly two weeks and I'm thinking of changing :s-smilie:

That does not matter at all, and is a totally stupid thing to say. If you feel like psychology will be a course you'd get more from and you'd enjoy, then there's your answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest