The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices for becoming a barrister

Im wondering about A-level law and how useful it is. I have seen some people act like it is the worst thing on earth, horrible and no unis liked it.

Whearas some others have told me its not that bad, that idea is outdated and its fine to take

During bridging I loved the subject, I do want to take it. Im just wondering if it is truly a waste of time or not.

For my other two subjects im taking Politics and Philosophy, and maybe History/ Eng Lit as a fourth (that I would consider dropping) any views on that would be helpful too.

My current intention for a carrer is to become a Barrister, and I wish to attend / am aiming for Durham or Oxbridge unis.
Subject choices are irrelevant in the long run. After you get your degree the A-level subjects won't matter anyway, so they only matter as far as getting onto an undergraduate degree in the first place.

Take two traditionally academic subjects and one other subject and you are fine really for any uni. A fourth subject is not going to help and may well backfire and cause you to get worse grades overall. Just take three and get the best results you can to get onto the degree of choice (which need not be a law degree - the bar has no preference whether you did a law degree or another degree with a GDL conversion course). Obviously ensure you meet any subject requirements for the degree (if you wish to study physics you will need maths and physics for example; conversely law has no subject requirements so just take whatever you enjoy and are good at including two traditionally academic subjects).

A-level Law is fine. I gather it's not really indicative of how law is studied on a law degree, nor how law is practiced professional - it's really more of a course in socio-legal studies I gather. Which is undoubtedly interesting in of itself, but don't take it because you think it's something else.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Subject choices are irrelevant in the long run. After you get your degree the A-level subjects won't matter anyway, so they only matter as far as getting onto an undergraduate degree in the first place.

Take two traditionally academic subjects and one other subject and you are fine really for any uni. A fourth subject is not going to help and may well backfire and cause you to get worse grades overall. Just take three and get the best results you can to get onto the degree of choice (which need not be a law degree - the bar has no preference whether you did a law degree or another degree with a GDL conversion course). Obviously ensure you meet any subject requirements for the degree (if you wish to study physics you will need maths and physics for example; conversely law has no subject requirements so just take whatever you enjoy and are good at including two traditionally academic subjects).

A-level Law is fine. I gather it's not really indicative of how law is studied on a law degree, nor how law is practiced professional - it's really more of a course in socio-legal studies I gather. Which is undoubtedly interesting in of itself, but don't take it because you think it's something else.

Out of interest, would Politics and Philosophy count as "two traditionally academic subjects"
Original post by Andrew.J.B
Out of interest, would Politics and Philosophy count as "two traditionally academic subjects"

Yes. Basically any subject that isn't vocational/applied (also usually visual/performing arts subjects aren't considered traditionally academic, although music often is a bit in the middle). Since the A-level reforms there aren't really that many left anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending