The Student Room Group

BSMS A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by tealover96
Do you reckon I could get away with a really average best for BSMS..
Because at this rate that's what I'm going to get :/
I love S1 but S2 I can't even seem to do the 400q book questions and haven't even looked at S3

Well i got this off the Imperial thread for 2014, its the banding they use:

Band 1 = 5.7, 5.7 and 3.5B

Band 2 = 5.2, 5.2 and 3B
Band 3 = 4.9, 4.9 and 2.5B

So people in band 1 are guaranteed an interview, band 2 may get an interview and those in band 3 probably won't get one - it depends on how many interviews they have left to give after band 1 & 2 have been given theirs. Considering Imperial is one of the top 10 universities in the world i think it is safe to assume BSMS won't require band 1 sort of scores. My bet would be Band 2 scores are needed (or around them). Obviously this is completely speculative but I just can't see BSMS requiring higher scores than Imperial BUT I COULD BE VERY WRONG!
Original post by Jimbob995

Band 2 = 5.2, 5.2 and 3B

So people in band 1 are guaranteed an interview, band 2 may get an interview and those in band 3 probably won't get one - it depends on how many interviews they have left to give after band 1 & 2 have been given theirs. Considering Imperial is one of the top 10 universities in the world i think it is safe to assume BSMS won't require band 1 sort of scores. My bet would be Band 2 scores are needed (or around them). Obviously this is completely speculative but I just can't see BSMS requiring higher scores than Imperial BUT I COULD BE VERY WRONG!

The guy at BSMS said that a competitive score is roughly 9-13. I.e I would say 10+ and your looking at a good shot for an interview. Getting a score of 13 will bank an interview definitely !!!!
I would say 10 is a good score for BSMS
Meaning you need ~ a 5 in section 1 and a 5 in section 2 to add it upto 10.
Reply 62
Original post by futuremedic19
The guy at BSMS said that a competitive score is roughly 9-13. I.e I would say 10+ and your looking at a good shot for an interview. Getting a score of 13 will bank an interview definitely !!!!
I would say 10 is a good score for BSMS
Meaning you need ~ a 5 in section 1 and a 5 in section 2 to add it upto 10.

Ahh that's not to bad actually, I've been getting 6's in mocks but compensate for exam nerves and I hopefully should get around 5 on each :smile: I really hope it's not too high! So they don't use S3 when inviting to interview but they do use it at a later stage?
Ahh that's not to bad actually, I've been getting 6's in mocks but compensate for exam nerves and I hopefully should get around 5 on each :smile: I really hope it's not too high! So they don't use S3 when inviting to interview but they do use it at a later stage?

Yep I think that's how it works. Btw were you given a login pin and password when you registered ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Yep I think that's how it works. Btw were you given a login pin and password when you registered ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I wasn't, what's it for? :smile:
No I wasn't, what's it for? :smile:

It's vitally important as you need the details to access your results and I think you can login and access a few useful resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
It's vitally important as you need the details to access your results and I think you can login and access a few useful resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you finalised your choices? :smile:

Band 2 = 5.2, 5.2 and 3B

Ah okay thanks! :smile:
Yeahh I would assume that we would need less for BSMS but then again it depends on how well the whole cohort does
Reply 68
Ah okay thanks! :smile:
Yeahh I would assume that we would need less for BSMS but then again it depends on how well the whole cohort does

Yeah that's a good point, those Bands are set on how the cohort did at imperial. How are you practising for the BMAT? (I love your name btw - I hope BSMS have a Tea society!!)
I'm just using the spec points and each page of the online CGP guide related to each spec point to revise the science section...I'll do papers nearer to the time.
And for S1, I'm using various past papers: BMAT, CIE As level, TSA oxford

Haha thanks I can't go a day without my daily dose of tea (I swear I'm not dependant on it :P)
Reply 70
I'm just using the spec points and each page of the online CGP guide related to each spec point to revise the science section...I'll do papers nearer to the time.
And for S1, I'm using various past papers: BMAT, CIE As level, TSA oxford

Haha thanks I can't go a day without my daily dose of tea (I swear I'm not dependant on it :P)

Very similar to how I'm revising for it, I'm going to start doing paper around half way through October. Haha if there's not a socieTEA then I'm making one (if I get in obvs :P )
(edited 9 years ago)
Very similar to how I'm revising for it, I'm going to start doing paper around half way through October. Haha if there's not a socieTEA then I'm making one (if I get in obvs :P )

Yeahh I'm leaving them for later...I'm applying to leeds too so have to make sure that I do well!
haha socieTEA...that's brilliant!
And I'll join if I get in :biggrin:
Reply 72
Whens the best time to start doing BMAT papers?
:tongue:
Reply 73
Heys guys I emailed admissions about how they're using the BMAT and this is what they sent back:

"We just check you're academically eligible and we'll be ranking everyone on their BMAT score and inviting the top 400 to interview. For bioscience graduates who we piloted BMAT ranking last cycle, BSMS decided any BMAT score which received less than 3/9 in either of the short answer and/or multiple choice section was automatically rejected. As was anyone scoring less than grade C in the written task. Although not confirmed yet, we will probably use this cut-off point again. All applicants will then be ranked by BMAT numerical score initially and the written task will probably be used as a final discriminator for those with same scores near the interview threshold."

Again, a bit vague - by the look of it they're solely selecting based on BMAT scores. :smile:
Reply 74
Heys guys I emailed admissions about how they're using the BMAT and this is what they sent back:

"We just check you're academically eligible and we'll be ranking everyone on their BMAT score and inviting the top 400 to interview. For bioscience graduates who we piloted BMAT ranking last cycle, BSMS decided any BMAT score which received less than 3/9 in either of the short answer and/or multiple choice section was automatically rejected. As was anyone scoring less than grade C in the written task. Although not confirmed yet, we will probably use this cut-off point again. All applicants will then be ranked by BMAT numerical score initially and the written task will probably be used as a final discriminator for those with same scores near the interview threshold."

Again, a bit vague - by the look of it they're solely selecting based on BMAT scores. :smile:

Im applying here too :smile:
You cant get clearer than that IMO, they score u on BMAT and maybe use your PS or Section3 in interview.

Thanks for sharing the info by the way, where else have u applied?
Reply 75
Original post by Ahwab
Im applying here too :smile:
You cant get clearer than that IMO, they score u on BMAT and maybe use your PS or Section3 in interview.

Thanks for sharing the info by the way, where else have u applied?

Cardiff, Kings EMDP and UEA, you?
Cardiff, Kings EMDP and UEA, you?

Hi has anyones rang up BSMS and asked how many applicants they've received this year. I didn't apply here in the end but it would be interesting to know the total number that applied. They've gotta interview 400 regardless so the fewer that apply the more likely you will get an interview :smile:
Reply 77
Hi has anyones rang up BSMS and asked how many applicants they've received this year. I didn't apply here in the end but it would be interesting to know the total number that applied. They've gotta interview 400 regardless so the fewer that apply the more likely you will get an interview :smile:

I phoned but they said they don't know, they said 'definitely more than a 1000' lol!
Apparently they are expecting lower amounts of applicants because of the use of the BMAT and she also said because of the harder AS levels.

Did you say Cardiff had 3200 applicants, I think the cut off will be 25 this year! People with low UKCAT scores will apply to Cardiff with lower points out of 27 because they don't have many other options maybe?

:biggrin:
Reply 78
I phoned but they said they don't know, they said 'definitely more than a 1000' lol!
Apparently they are expecting lower amounts of applicants because of the use of the BMAT and she also said because of the harder AS levels.

:biggrin:

Normally its 2000 applicants for BSMS? Definitely over 1000 = max at 1,500 applications this year?
Original post by Ahwab
Normally its 2000 applicants for BSMS? Definitely over 1000 = max at 1,500 applications this year?

Yeah well I would expect them to get near 2000 again. Although they've shifted to the BMAT you also have to consider the low ukcat this year. Since nearly all ukcat universities want a 650+ score and not many applicants are gonna have that this year so will probably apply to non ukcat/BMAT choices. Also remember that not all are gonna have 7A*s / amazing GCSE grades so may avoid Birmingham,Cardiff,Liverpool,Lancaster. Leaving the BMAT choices.
Trust me person vue and their ukcat has f***** up everyone this year hence Lancaster got 1645 applicants for 50 places.
So don't be surprised if BSMS get loads as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending