The Student Room Group

BSMS A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbob995
So what is the process this year?

Ranked by BMAT (including S3 as far as i'm aware) with the personal statement potentially having some influence in borderline applicants but not overall ranking, everyone is ranked together (no altered circumstances for grads or foreign students etc).

Post interview the decision is based entirely upon the interview (with BMAT potentially used to determine between two identical candidates). The interview is a panel of 3 interviewers and typical format (e.g. Why do you want to study Medicine? What did you learn from your work experience?). They will 100% discuss your personal statement and they have your BMAT essay so it's fair game to bring it up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 781
Original post by Josh93
Ranked by BMAT (including S3 as far as i'm aware) with the personal statement potentially having some influence in borderline applicants but not overall ranking, everyone is ranked together (no altered circumstances for grads or foreign students etc).

Post interview the decision is based entirely upon the interview (with BMAT potentially used to determine between two identical candidates). The interview is a panel of 3 interviewers and typical format (e.g. Why do you want to study Medicine? What did you learn from your work experience?). They will 100% discuss your personal statement and they have your BMAT essay so it's fair game to bring it up.

Original post by Hollystar
At the open day, they said they explore your personal statement in greater depth and they ask you about your BMAT essay. :tongue:

Oh God, no :s-smilie:
I scraped 3A by answering all aspects of the question asked and my writing couldn't have been worse than GCSE English. All the points that I brought up were mediocre and I was under time pressure. I'll just have to say what I could have added to my essay to make it better I suppose...
Original post by Josh93
Ranked by BMAT (including S3 as far as i'm aware) with the personal statement potentially having some influence in borderline applicants but not overall ranking, everyone is ranked together (no altered circumstances for grads or foreign students etc). Post interview the decision is based entirely upon the interview (with BMAT potentially used to determine between two identical candidates). The interview is a panel of 3 interviewers and typical format (e.g. Why do you want to study Medicine? What did you learn from your work experience?). They will 100% discuss your personal statement and they have your BMAT essay so it's fair game to bring it up.

Do you know anything about the order in which they are using to invite candidates for interview?
Reply 784
Original post by Josh93

Is it a friendly interview?
Reply 785
Original post by Aspiring_medic1
Do you know anything about the order in which they are using to invite candidates for interview?

General trend on this forum seems to be higher bmat scorers get earlier dates.

But that could be coincidence :colonhash:
Reply 786

Yes I assume so by what most ppl say :s

But they could grill you on your bmat essay lol by playing devils advocate onyour points
Gosh having done all 3 exams - GAMSAT, UKCAT and BMAT within a space of 2 months, I don't even remember the topic of my BMAT essay, let alone recalling what I wrote about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ahwab
Yes I assume so by what most ppl say :s

But they could grill you on your bmat essay lol by playing devils advocate onyour points

I did the vet med one because it was easier lol

It's an interview...I'm 99% sure it will be formal if that's what you mean but I expect it will be more pleasant than being interrogated by the KGB.
Original post by Ahwab
Thought that was just a rumour...

I spoke to an admissions officer :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
so do we think then 4.0 4.9 3A will be enough?
Original post by oreilly96

Don't know. My daughter got an interview with 4.9, 4.0, 3.5A so you're definitely very close...
Original post by oreilly96

I hope it is. Remember, they have interview dates across fen and march too and so far it seems that starting from jan 21st, 24th and 31st are the first few day they've given invites for. Fingers crossed :smile:
What is the interview structure/format like?
Original post by MedKid123

Panel of 3
Original post by Futuremedic2096
Panel of 3

Thank you! :smile:

I saw that on a different student room thread but it was not an updated version so I was not sure whether BSMS changed to MMIs. :confused:
Thank you! :smile:

I saw that on a different student room thread but it was not an updated version so I was not sure whether BSMS changed to MMIs. :confused:

Thankfully no
Reply 798

something i found on tsr:

"Brighton and Sussex

The interview at BSMS is fairly relaxed and not designed to try and trip you up. You will be asked a variety questions to try and establish what sort of person you are, why you want to be a doctor and if you have a realistic impression of what it will be like. The panels are made up of 3 people usually including a member of the academic staff, a clinician and a student. The interviewers are friendly and encouraging, and are there to get the best out of you.

Questions I got asked:

Why are you here? i.e Why medicine? Why bsms?

Team work related questions

NHS related questions about reforms etc..

research related questions"
Any UK grads with an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending