The Student Room Group

Mega Vitamin C doses and illness

hello

i saw on the internet that it was ok to take massive doses of vitamin c - 1 gram every 30 mins - when you have a cold, and do this until the symptoms go.

i notice that if i have a cold, or indeed any illness, vitamin C at really high doses helps me get better faster. the only side effect i have heard of is diahorrea. anyone else find it helps them? i even read on the internet it can cure some cancers by boosting the immune system. also i read that taking it everyday can prevent colds. is this true? or would the body get used to it and the effects wear off when i do get a cold?
Reply 1
If you take too much at once it can damage the lining of your stomach.
Reply 2
yes high doses when you ill really does help, also small amounts everyday helps, but large doses everyday is not good
Reply 3
Hi shinytoy
Reply 4
i saw on the internet that it was ok to take massive doses of vitamin c - 1 gram every 30 mins - when you have a cold, and do this until the symptoms go.

Not true. Research has shown that once you have an infection, no amount of Vitamin C will speed up recovery. What Vitamin C does do, when taken daily, is to provide better protection from infection and a faster recovery time. Once you're ill though, it's already too late.

Latest

Trending

Trending