The Student Room Group

I’m getting sick constantly. I think it’s my accommodations fault.

So after summer i moved back to uni, into a new accommodation. My room is on the ground floor and the floor is always ICE cold (because it’s winter) and recently i noticed one of the windows in my flat is not fitted right or something so it never actually closes, obviously then meaning my whole room is just ice cold and there’s always a draft. could that be a reason i’m getting sick so often? literally i have flu symptoms non stop for months and it gets a little better for two days and comes back worse and repeat. Not sure what it could be
Reply 1
Original post by amories
So after summer i moved back to uni, into a new accommodation. My room is on the ground floor and the floor is always ICE cold (because it’s winter) and recently i noticed one of the windows in my flat is not fitted right or something so it never actually closes, obviously then meaning my whole room is just ice cold and there’s always a draft. could that be a reason i’m getting sick so often? literally i have flu symptoms non stop for months and it gets a little better for two days and comes back worse and repeat. Not sure what it could be

I also called my GP and they gave me a telephone doctor appointment, they just told me it’s probably because i’m at uni again.. but this is persistent it’s not freshers flu
Original post by amories

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with this, it sounds really tough.

It's great that you've already got into contact with your GP. If you really feel this is something more than fresher's flu, be persistent with them. Ask for an in-person appointment and an evaluation. It may feel like you're being annoying, but you really aren't when it comes to your health. Better to be safe than sorry.

With your accommodation, please get in contact with the building/maintenance team. Be persistent with them too, and try to get that fixed as soon as possible. Let them know it is impacting your health and studies. Ask them if there is another room you can move to, and if not, to keep you updated every step of the way until the problem is resolved.

If it is possible, contacting your parents to support you and get in contact with the accommodation themselves might help to move things along.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Original post by amories

Hi @amories,

I am sorry to hear that you've been so unwell.

I would definitely recommend contacting maintenance immediately about how you noticed that your window in your flat is not closed probably because that is probably one of the main reasons your room is getting so cold and making you ill. Are other people in your flat experiencing such a cold room too? Although the window not closing won't help maybe there is something wrong with the heating as that's why your room is always so cold. I would definitely make the accommodation aware of this as soon as you can and as @chesterstudent said keep chasing this up until they do something about this as sometimes they forget and it takes a long time to fix these things.

I recommend trying to cover the window which is not fitted probably with a towel or something similar to try stop the draft in your room and make it feel a bit warmer until it gets fixed.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon🙂
Louise - University of Wolverhampton rep.
Original post by amories

@amories

Along with getting the window fixed, check that you don't have any damp in your room. If your desk is next to the window, try to work on your bed or at the library or put on an extra layer on when your working at your desk so that the draft doesn't get to you.

You might also like to try vitamin D supplements as most people in the UK lack vitamin D during the winter and it helps your immune system. In addition, it might be good to up your vitamin C levels which is also good for the immune system: kiwis, strawberries and oranges are all great sources of vitamin C.

Aside from those things, it might be worthwhile to make sure that you are getting enough rest and that you are not feeling overwhelmed with stress, as this can also impact your health.

Hope that helps.

Get well soon!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by amories

Hi @amories ,

As others have said, I would definitely tell your accommodation about the issues you are having and chase it up with the maintenance team. They should at least be able to come down and check the problem out and they should then fix the issue with the window. If not, make sure you keep chasing it up and keep a record of communication so you can prove you did keep asking! You are paying to live there so they should come and fix this for you.

It's good you have made a doctors appointment and chase this up too if you feel you need more help/ medications than they are giving you. It's important that you are in good health for your studies so make sure you do this and follow up with them!

I hope this helps and feel better soon!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending