The Student Room Group

Two Opposite Visions of the Future

Poll

Which is more likely/desirable?

Which do you think is (a) more likely to come about and (b) more desirable out of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four and Max Barry's Jennifer Government? Essentially, the former portrays a future where the government has too much power, while the latter is set in a world where it has too little.

Quite a complex poll is required for this one, so take care when reading it and voting!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jennifer Government? What a gay name for a book.
Reply 2
This thread deserves more discussion, give me a few hours and I'll try to say something
I think that 1984 is more likely, although i prefer Jennifer Government scenario...
Jennifer Government is more desirable; If we ever started to go down that road, it'd clearly show that Max Barry set himself up a nice big straw-man and beat it ruthlessly.
Who the hell would like to live in 1984???? although it is going that way, im sure there will be true thought crimes soon enough.
Reply 6
happybob
Who the hell would like to live in 1984???? although it is going that way, im sure there will be true thought crimes soon enough.

It's not exactly a great choice - over-powerful corporations in my mind would be just as bad as over-powerful governments.
I think I would have to go with the Jennifer one. I don't want the government to have too much power, but equally I don't want them to have to little. At least with the Jennifer one I could make up for the government's lack of power (i.e. unable to provide a capable police force) by looking after myself. But with the '84 government, why I would be protected, I would also have little freedom and have the government sticking its nose in my business.
Why would someone want to live in a 1984 setting ?
Reply 9
The Green Manalishi
I think that 1984 is more likely, although i prefer Jennifer Government scenario...

You want a Jennifer Government scenario, yet you, throughout the forum, sing the praises of Shariah Law which, surely, demands some level of direct control, such as the enforcing of its numerous laws.

You dweeb.
Jasundie
You want a Jennifer Government scenario, yet you, throughout the forum, sing the praises of Shariah Law which, surely, demands some level of direct control, such as the enforcing of its numerous laws.

You dweeb.

Well of course the gov't needs to have some control although i wasn't thinking from that perspective. The way the world is going nowadays, in my experience, is towards Islamophobia and an anti-religious undercurrent is, what i feel, becoming.
Hence why i feel if the secular gov'ts are given alot of power, it'd be bad for religious people (of all faiths) hence why i would prefer a more open system which allows religious practise, but still has the rules - of course this is a hypothetical situation, call it the lesser of two evils if you like.

*yawns*
Reply 11
10inchpianist
Why would someone want to live in a 1984 setting ?

Why would someone want to live in a Jennifer Government setting ?
Reply 12
The Green Manalishi
Well of course the gov't needs to have some control although i wasn't thinking from that perspective. The way the world is going nowadays, in my experience, is towards Islamophobia and an anti-religious undercurrent is, what i feel, becoming.
Hence why i feel if the secular gov'ts are given alot of power, it'd be bad for religious people (of all faiths) hence why i would prefer a more open system which allows religious practise, but still has the rules - of course this is a hypothetical situation, call it the lesser of two evils if you like.

*yawns*
However, with the police and Army privatised, there is no obstacle to rich people using them to oppress certain, or even all, religions.
Agent Smith
However, with the police and Army privatised, there is no obstacle to rich people using them to oppress certain, or even all, religions.

They're privatised? Not in Sri Lanka i don't think...
Reply 14
OK, even less obstacle. And if it happened it would be on an almost global scale.
Reply 15
You'd have to figure that in a setting where governments don't rule, crime lords do. Personally, I'd rather know what I was facing that be supressed by a different gang every day. Still would take the J, as I feel like I could defend myself. Would bring back the survival of the fitest mentality.

Moral of the story: Appreciate what you have. It's pretty damn good.
Reply 16
Quite.

I'd venture to suggest that even in a setting where governments DO rule, criminals of one description or another are not, shall we say, without influence. However, I can see people mentally attaching the word "war" to the front of the word "criminal" and then making a leap to assuming I was talking about Tony Blair and vote for RESPECT.

Life in D&D goes on.
I have absolutely no idea about British political parties... I should learn something about them :s:
LH
Why would someone want to live in a Jennifer Government setting ?

I don't know what a Jennifer government is in it's entirity but being watched 24/7 by big brother doesn't sound too good
Reply 19
The Green Manalishi

*yawns*

You are an idiot. You contradict yourself in so many places. Shariah and relgious freedom don't really go.

Latest

Trending

Trending