The Student Room Group

What is so wrong in today's society with being a 'slut'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by miser
Slut shaming is stupid and unpleasant and I wish it didn't exist, but that doesn't mean it's not natural or expected for it to exist. If our psychology has been shaped by millions of years of evolution in an environment where it was definitively bad for a woman to sleep with whomever, of course it's sensible to expect mechanisms to develop to try to prevent it.

From a man's perspective, it's bad for him to partner with a woman who sleeps around because there is a greater chance he is wasting his resources supporting a child not carrying his genes. This kind of behaviour would naturally be weeded out as one's own genes wouldn't continue.

From a woman's perspective, if she doesn't partner with a man who can provide for her and the child, she's totally screwed. Therefore, she needs to choose carefully, and I suppose it must have helped for there to be social condemnation in place.

In the present day, things are totally different of course, since there are pretty much no consequences to safe sex, except for the ones we impose on ourselves through our psychology. Because our psychology did not evolve in an environment with safe sex, we can't expect our innate inclinations regarding sex to correctly conform to what is best in the modern environment.

Even knowing intellectually that slut shaming is nonsense, do I want a relationship with a woman who's had a prolific history? Nope. My subconscious doesn't give a monkey's about contraception. I'm just either attracted to someone or not, based on whatever the hell my subconscious chooses.

And of course it's the same for everyone else - men and women tend to have vastly different approaches to sex, with men typically being open to sleeping with whomever and women being much more cautious. And so it remains the case that for most men it's difficult to have a lot of sexual partners, yet for most women it's easy if only they actually wanted to. We all know this, so it's easy to see it as an "achievement" for a man and a "failing" for a woman.

A more sophisticated person might eschew making such crude judgements of people, but their subconscious won't be listening.

That's just your perspective though. I personally couldn't care less about her number, whether that's 0 or 20. It's just a piece of information that is absolutely irrelevant when making my mind up about her as a person.
Reply 181
Original post by ilem
That's just your perspective though. I personally couldn't care less about her number, whether that's 0 or 20. It's just a piece of information that is absolutely irrelevant when making my mind up about her as a person.

Yeah, that's just my perspective. I know others have told me it's not something that affects their opinions at all, though I don't know what to make of that myself.
Original post by miser
Yeah, that's just my perspective. I know others have told me it's not something that affects their opinions at all, though I don't know what to make of that myself.

It is your life and your prerogative to feel that way, but I really do think you should stop attempting to justify and rationalise it with all this evolutionary pseudo-psychology nonsense, and just accept that its just a personal hang-up that you have. It doesn't require an explanation, its just how you feel.

Ultimately, I don't think many people would really care - if they really liked the girl, they'd soon get over it.
Reply 183
Original post by cole-slaw
It is your life and your prerogative to feel that way, but I really do think you should stop attempting to justify and rationalise it with all this evolutionary pseudo-psychology nonsense, and just accept that its just a personal hang-up that you have. It doesn't require an explanation, its just how you feel.

Ultimately, I don't think many people would really care - if they really liked the girl, they'd soon get over it.

I'm not justifying it - I think it's pretty stupid. And yes, I think you're right that most people would get over it, but all else being equal, most guys would probably have a preference that their partner have had fewer sexual partners. This might go for women too, though.
Original post by miser
I'm not justifying it - I think it's pretty stupid. And yes, I think you're right that most people would get over it, but all else being equal, most guys would probably have a preference that their partner have had fewer sexual partners. This might go for women too, though.

Most of the time people would like to be regarded as being something special to their partner especially if they enter into a sexual relationship. If historically your partner has had loads of other partners (especially sexual) then the greater probability is that you're likely to be just another conquest or passing phase. If you're looking for something a bit more meaningful and possibly longer term such people aren't likely to be such a good bet.
Original post by Folion
Most of the time people would like to be regarded as being something special to their partner especially if they enter into a sexual relationship. If historically your partner has had loads of other partners (especially sexual) then the greater probability is that you're likely to be just another conquest or passing phase. If you're looking for something a bit more meaningful and possibly longer term such people aren't likely to be such a good bet.

Thats a very old-fashioned outlook, not many adults share that attitude. Sex is sex, its something fun and enjoyable that two people do together.

Is that true or are you wrong?

Loaded question or what? Lol.
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Loaded question or what? Lol.

I was tempted to put "is that true or are you an idiot" but I thought that would be crossing the line.
Thats a very old-fashioned outlook, not many adults share that attitude. Sex is sex, its something fun and enjoyable that two people do together.

Sex is love
Sex is fun
Sex is procreation
Sex is power
Sex is a job

Sex is many things to many people but it is never "just sex" it is much too important and sex should be respected for all it's consequences.
Original post by Folion
Sex is love
Sex is fun
Sex is procreation
Sex is power
Sex is a job

Sex is many things to many people but it is never "just sex" it is much too important and sex should be respected for all it's consequences.

A person can respect that sex has consequences and still see it as just sex.
I was tempted to put "is that true or are you an idiot" but I thought that would be crossing the line.

Well, considering you still hadn't made a reasonable argument, indeed it would be you crossing the trench line. :tongue:
Original post by Harlee24
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh of course "what men like"
Come on girls we should know that our purpose in life is solely to be the ideal picture of what men "like" or want.

"What men like" my ass. Ever considered that we don't care what you like? And may do/ wear things solely for the purpose of our happiness?

Im glad you understand.
Original post by Folion
Sex is love
Sex is fun
Sex is procreation
Sex is power
Sex is a job

What is this, a poetry recital?
Original post by keturah
:facepalm: No girls I know like men that think like this. Why are sluts shameful? They are not doing anything bad or wrong. You really need to grow up. Men and women sleeping around is the same.

You need to find yourself some new girl friends then...
/
And Its not the same.
its clearly not.
Maybe you want it to be though.......
Original post by Eveiebaby
You do realise that sex can be enjoyable for both sexes right? You realise that sometimes life situations are such that we'd appreciate a partner but circumstances aren't providing or shock horror - we want sex too. It just sounds like men are scared of female sexuality. Sorry about that. We aren't maidens of the medieval times nor barbie dolls with fuzzed out genitals. Sorry that sometimes your (and I mean this metaphorically) penis is not the centre of our world.

Sounds very insecure to me. If sex isn't a big deal for guys to do it sounds like you need to stop having a fit about a woman having sex with a guy who isn't you.

Im not having a fit.
A question was asked and i answered.
If you wanna be a slut be one if thats something you so badly wanna aspire to be
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by matthewduncan
/
And Its not the same.
its clearly not.

No I'm good thanks.
It's exactly the same, end of! Get out of the Victorian times.
Original post by matthewduncan
/
And Its not the same.
its clearly not.

I would love to hear your brilliant explanation why its not the same. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I don't really think its meant to be a justification so much as a commentary of the hypocritical nature of society's attitudes towards men and women. That being said, it is completely possible to have many sex partners and not end up with STI's and many women don't want a relationship or children so what is your point here?

I would love to hear your brilliant explanation why its not the same. :rolleyes:

THIS. :yy::yy::yy:
Not all women want children. Not all women want a "normal" relationship. Sleeping around does not cause STI's provided the person takes care to be safe.
Oh and guess what? Women love sex too, we enjoy it, we're programmed to recieve pleasure from it too. Stop telling women what women want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harlee24
THIS. :yy::yy::yy:
Not all women want children. Not all women want a "normal" relationship. Sleeping around does not cause STI's provided the person takes care to be safe.
Oh and guess what? Women love sex too, we enjoy it, we're programmed to recieve pleasure from it too. Stop telling women what women want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what does cause STIs?

Even careful people have to accept that there are risks of diseases and unplanned pregnancy because nothing is 100% safe

And whilst people have the right to have as much sex as they like the population is allowed to have a spread of opinions on the matter. Even if public name shouting was made an offence it wouldn't stop private thoughts and quiet gossiping.

Interestingly if one studies public records and documents of centuries past one would actually see that widespread promiscuity is nothing new at all. It's not as if it's something recently invented for fuddy duddies to disapprove of. Promiscuity has always existed, always will and will always carry some level of disapproval from many quarters.
Original post by keturah
No I'm good thanks.
It's exactly the same, end of! Get out of the Victorian times.

its not though otherwise we wouldnt be having this whole conversation would we keturah.
I dont see why you are so adamant on trying to get a positive out of a chick being a hoe smh.
Men and women aint the same like that.never have been never will be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending