The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath offer holders 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Corls2
Aww thats fine haha, i just applied for straight economics with placement year! For A2 I'm predicted a* economics a maths a history, and got a b in psychology AS. What course are you applying for?

Oh right that's quite reassuring actually, I thought offer holders had two or more A*'s predicted! I've just applied for the normal L100 without the placement year, thought it may be less popular.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
I'm not sure what to take as my fourth A-level. I plan on applying for Bath's Accounting and Finance degree and my first 3 A-levels I plan on taking are Maths, Physics and Business and Economics but should I take Further Maths or ICT at A-level? Not just in regards to which universities prefer but difficulty and if ICT would help me with other practical skills like essay writing or organisation. Thanks.
Reply 582
Oh right haha, i only know one other person that has applied for economics straight and he's predicted one a* too! Fair enough, i thought they put the classes together until placement year/final year
Reply 583
Original post by Corls2
Oh right haha, i only know one other person that has applied for economics straight and he's predicted one a* too! Fair enough, i thought they put the classes together until placement year/final year

Oh right! I've taken maths and physics so the A* depends on how I do on the day tbh. Business is my third and I can't get one in that. Yeah I imagine they would put them together.
Reply 584
Physics and maths!! Wow, I'm lucky if I can push for an A for maths in the end haha :')
Got an offer for Econ A*AA :biggrin:

Does anyone know if it's possible to go for a year in industry if I change my mind later? I've applied for the 3 year course
Reply 586
Well done!! Yeah pretty sure you can change your mind at the end of the second year and can opt in or out of the placement
Original post by Rolivers
Got an offer for Econ A*AA :biggrin:

Does anyone know if it's possible to go for a year in industry if I change my mind later? I've applied for the 3 year course

Hi,

I am a chemistry student here at Bath and it was certainly very flexible for me to be able to change on and off the placement course, so I can imagine it will be very similar for economics. You will probably have until about the end of first year to switch on to the placement course to make sure you get all the information about applying, but you should be able to switch off again in second year if you change your mind.

I went on placement at a pharmaceutical company, so if you have any questions about placements or life at Bath let me know.

Thanks

Claire
First year Maths student here, let me know if you have any questions.

For my course at least, anyone doing any Maths degrees are grouped together and take the same modules - there's about 350 of us in our first year doing different courses like MMath and BSc with placement, etc. This allows you to change courses at the end of your first year without any issues, though it may be subject to conditions. You need to meet certain criteria to be able to go on a placement, but this will all be explained at the start of the second semester so dot worry, just do the best you can throughout the year. I'm currently on the BSc but hoping to switch to the placement course (pending on my grade at the end of the year). I'm not 100% sure but I imagine the Economics course wouldnt be too different in terms of structure.
Hi I received my offer from Bath University for Aerospace Engineering yesterday (hype is real) with a condition of A*AA. Will probably put as my firm but I want to know when they send me a UCAS visit day, what life is like as a Bath student and do I ACTUALLY need A*AA or will they lower to AAA if they don't fill all places. Either way I'm super-motivated to aim for those A*s. I'm currently studying maths, physics and chemistry (along with EPQ which is a bore).
Thank you! :smile:
Original post by SkilledNChilled
Hi I received my offer from Bath University for Aerospace Engineering yesterday (hype is real) with a condition of A*AA. Will probably put as my firm but I want to know when they send me a UCAS visit day, what life is like as a Bath student and do I ACTUALLY need A*AA or will they lower to AAA if they don't fill all places. Either way I'm super-motivated to aim for those A*s. I'm currently studying maths, physics and chemistry (along with EPQ which is a bore).
Thank you! :smile:

Hi,

I'm Rob - a first year civil engineer student!

Personally I think Bath is a lovely place! It's very beautiful and has some fantastic architecture if this interests you. The journey into town is about 10 minutes on the bus and has all the shops you'd expect from a city as well as the more 'cute' shops from a 'touristy' city like Bath.

Some people worry that the city is a bit small and boring. Personally I didn't find this and am more than happy with the city. I think this is only something to consider if you are used to very busy cities such as London or a party capital!

In terms of the campus, it's pretty small but I like this as everything is so close and really convenient. There are shops, banks, cafes, a club and much more on campus! I think it's quite a happening campus - things always seem to be on. We have really good sports facilities and some great clubs for all abilities. As with all universities we have hundreds of societies for any interest you may have.

In your first year you'll probably be living on campus which means you're just 5 minutes away from your lectures (great for a 9.15 lecture!). The accommodation is pretty typical for university and varies depending on price.

In terms of lowering your grades from A*AA to AAA, I simply couldn't comment. This will be down to the admissions tutor, and based on how strong your application is and how strong all the applications from other students are. Obviously my advice is to do as well as you can and try and reach the A*AA requirement. You are correct that Unis sometimes will still accept you if you don't quite make the grades. However this is not something to rely on and will not happen in all cases. If you are having Bath as your firm then you can obviously keep your fingers crossed for the lower grade acceptance but you will also have your insurance choice which you can fall back on.

I hope that help, if you have any more questions then feel free to ask!

Best of luck!

Rob
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

I'm Rob - a first year civil engineer student!

Personally I think Bath is a lovely place! It's very beautiful and has some fantastic architecture if this interests you. The journey into town is about 10 minutes on the bus and has all the shops you'd expect from a city as well as the more 'cute' shops from a 'touristy' city like Bath.

Some people worry that the city is a bit small and boring. Personally I didn't find this and am more than happy with the city. I think this is only something to consider if you are used to very busy cities such as London or a party capital!

In terms of the campus, it's pretty small but I like this as everything is so close and really convenient. There are shops, banks, cafes, a club and much more on campus! I think it's quite a happening campus - things always seem to be on. We have really good sports facilities and some great clubs for all abilities. As with all universities we have hundreds of societies for any interest you may have.

In your first year you'll probably be living on campus which means you're just 5 minutes away from your lectures (great for a 9.15 lecture!). The accommodation is pretty typical for university and varies depending on price.

In terms of lowering your grades from A*AA to AAA, I simply couldn't comment. This will be down to the admissions tutor, and based on how strong your application is and how strong all the applications from other students are. Obviously my advice is to do as well as you can and try and reach the A*AA requirement. You are correct that Unis sometimes will still accept you if you don't quite make the grades. However this is not something to rely on and will not happen in all cases. If you are having Bath as your firm then you can obviously keep your fingers crossed for the lower grade acceptance but you will also have your insurance choice which you can fall back on.

I hope that help, if you have any more questions then feel free to ask!

Best of luck!

Rob

Hi Rob thanks for the reply.

Great response you answered all my questions, for now that is!

I will aim for those A*AA grades although I feel my AS grade (A physics, B chemistry, B maths, (A biology)) could bring me down from even achieving A* :frown:

I will stay positive and be optimistic however.

Thanks again and I hope to see you around Bath University next year!

Cheers, any questions I may think of and I'll be sure to message you.

Mark.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 592
Hi guys! I've received a conditional offer for International Management and Modern Languages (German) at Bath and for two more similar courses at the University of Warwick and the Durham University. I'm an EU student and I've heard that all of them are very good at studying business/management.. so now I don't know which one to choose.

Is anyone else applying for the same universities? Could you tell me your opinion on them or which one would your choose and why? :smile:
Hi. I have considered applying for management in Durham but I did some research and apparently the business courses are not taught in the main campus. The classes would be almost an hour's drive from the main campus. Disappointing, I know.
Reply 594
Original post by PeanutAvenger
Hi. I have considered applying for management in Durham but I did some research and apparently the business courses are not taught in the main campus. The classes would be almost an hour's drive from the main campus. Disappointing, I know.

Thank you for your answer! That is quite inconvenient... Where else have you applied for management?
I applied for Management in Bristol, Bath, City University, LSE and York.

I have conditional offers from Bristol, City and York at the moment. Rejection from LSE.

I'm still waiting for bath they're taking such a long time. I applied since october last year and they haven't given me an answer! If I do get an offer from Bath though, I'll definitely firm it cause it's a good school with awesome facilities and is in a beautiful city. Plus, they're well known for their placement programme, in which I applied for too! I should highly suggest you firm bath :smile:
Reply 596
Wow, such a long time! I applied for Bath in October and got an offer one week after that... so in my case it was really fast.
Hope that Bath will send you an offer soon! :smile:

I am deciding mostly between Warwick (as I already know some people studying there and it is well-known by employers) and Bath (as I've heard from almost everyone that it is a very beautiful city and also a good uni)... Anyway, I'm still waiting for an answer from The University of St Andrews (Management and Modern Languages). I really like this one too due to its flexibility and amazing city as well... It is such a hard decision!
Hi guys,
I received an offer back in December for Sociology.However, having reflected in this another degree in the department appeals to me more.Would I be able to change to a different degree in the same department in the first year?.Also are there opportunities to study abroad? Or us this just for placement?.
Reply 598
Original post by James.Bayley
I'm not sure what to take as my fourth A-level. I plan on applying for Bath's Accounting and Finance degree and my first 3 A-levels I plan on taking are Maths, Physics and Business and Economics but should I take Further Maths or ICT at A-level? Not just in regards to which universities prefer but difficulty and if ICT would help me with other practical skills like essay writing or organisation. Thanks.

I'm in Year 13 and Further Maths is one of the subjects I am studying. I applied for Accounting and Finance at Bath and have got a conditional offer, which I made my firm choice. Personally, I really think you should only take Further Maths if maths is something that you really enjoy and are willing to work hard at as it is really hard and takes a lot of perseverance! I can't comment on ICT myself, but I would recommend looking at Bath's entry requirements as they list the subjects they prefer, with Further Maths definitely being one of them, if that is something that you want to think about.

I hope this helps!
Reply 599
Anyone deciding between Bath, Warwick and UCL for Maths? :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest