The Student Room Group

chemical engineering - nottingham vs ucl?

hi im in y13 and have applied for chemical engineering. i take maths phys chem and textiles and have offers from bath, loughborough nottingham, and waiting on ucl. i am predicted a*a*a*a* and have decided that bath is my firm. for my insurance i’m not necessarily sure what to choose. i liked loughborough however the town was a little too small for my liking and i’d like to live in a city at university so that leaves the other two. nottingham has great student life and great facilities but ucl has prestige and great research so i’m a bit torn on which to pick. i did love the ucl open day but the cost of living in london really put me off and stressed me out, however it is closer to home than notts(although i wouldn’t be living at home). i just wanted to know more about both universities and info about the courses so i can narrow down my decision any help appreciated xxx
Reply 1
someone help i beg of u
Reply 2
Original post by hiabsotd
hi im in y13 and have applied for chemical engineering. i take maths phys chem and textiles and have offers from bath, loughborough nottingham, and waiting on ucl. i am predicted a*a*a*a* and have decided that bath is my firm. for my insurance i’m not necessarily sure what to choose. i liked loughborough however the town was a little too small for my liking and i’d like to live in a city at university so that leaves the other two. nottingham has great student life and great facilities but ucl has prestige and great research so i’m a bit torn on which to pick. i did love the ucl open day but the cost of living in london really put me off and stressed me out, however it is closer to home than notts(although i wouldn’t be living at home). i just wanted to know more about both universities and info about the courses so i can narrow down my decision any help appreciated xxx

Hi sorry I just wanted to know why you picked Bath as your firm as I am having a hard time choosing and I applied to the exact same as you
Reply 3
Original post by theanon2

Hi sorry I just wanted to know why you picked Bath as your firm as I am having a hard time choosing and I applied to the exact same as you

bath just is better ranked compared to the two for chem eng and the grade requirements are higher a*aa compared to notts and ucl which are both aaa - also i liked the department and the open day best compared to everywhere else
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4

Hi i don't think looking at entry requirements should be your sole indicator of judging the university in terms of academics. Some universitiies have better teaching, have a higher number of people who leave with a 2.1, course feedback. Have a look at uniguide for some of these indicators. And just because the uni is ranked higher does not indicate if you will enjoy it there. Many people i know picked uni on rank and regret. I would suggest taking a holistic view and consider more factors. However, i am pretty sure Nottingham always has a high number of people leaving with a 2.1 in chemical engineering
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Oranges126
Hi i don't think looking at entry requirements should be your sole indicator of judging the university in terms of academics. Some universitiies have better teaching, have a higher number of people who leave with a 2.1, course feedback. Have a look at uniguide for some of these indicators. And just because the uni is ranked higher does not indicate if you will enjoy it there. Many people i know picked uni on rank and regret. I would suggest taking a holistic view and consider more factors. However, i am pretty sure Nottingham always has a high number of people leaving with a 2.1 in chemical engineering

notts and ucl have the same entry requirements anyways so i’m really just going to choose based on how i feel! i’ve booked a notts offer holder day for feb so hopefully that will make the decision easier thanks
Reply 6
notts and ucl have the same entry requirements anyways so i’m really just going to choose based on how i feel! i’ve booked a notts offer holder day for feb so hopefully that will make the decision easier thanks

That sounds great. Yes it's best to go check out the uni on the offer holder day.

Quick Reply

Latest