The Student Room Group

Bath, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Manchester or UCL for Architecture

I need to decide between these universities for Architecture. I’d be glad to hear the pros and cons please.

Scroll to see replies

Do you have offers for them all already? If so I would highly recommend finding offer holder days and attending them to help make your decision :smile:

Also maybe have a look at what past students have put out in their final degree show for those courses to get a bit of a feel for the kind of style/approach each one has.
I’d go to Bath University tbh. But UCL is equally as good.

If I were you I would go to the offer days and look around the cities, as the cities in which these universities are located are quite different and you may not feel comfortable in some of them.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Do you have offers for them all already? If so I would highly recommend finding offer holder days and attending them to help make your decision :smile:

Also maybe have a look at what past students have put out in their final degree show for those courses to get a bit of a feel for the kind of style/approach each one has.

I have offers from some and waiting for others but I wish to be prepared when all the offers come. I didn’t know about the offer days. Thank you for the information
Reply 4
Original post by lanky_giraffe
I’d go to Bath University tbh. But UCL is equally as good.

If I were you I would go to the offer days and look around the cities, as the cities in which these universities are located are quite different and you may not feel comfortable in some of them.

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me why would you choose Bath? Is it a disadvantage that its not a Russel Group uni? I think it’s more prestigious in UK than it is in the world when I check the world rankings and UK rankings ?
Original post by Pıt
I have offers from some and waiting for others but I wish to be prepared when all the offers come. I didn’t know about the offer days. Thank you for the information

I'd wait to get your other offers before making any decisions regardless. In the meantime see if there are offer holder events, including offer holder days, being held for those you do have offers for (they will probably email you about these if there are any but you can look ahead :smile:).
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
I'd wait to get your other offers before making any decisions regardless. In the meantime see if there are offer holder events, including offer holder days, being held for those you do have offers for (they will probably email you about these if there are any but you can look ahead :smile:).

Thank you very much. I’ll check that 👍🏼🍀
Original post by Pıt
Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me why would you choose Bath? Is it a disadvantage that its not a Russel Group uni? I think it’s more prestigious in UK than it is in the world when I check the world rankings and UK rankings ?

Does it matter that much that it’s not so reputable world-wide? I’m quite sure it’s climbing the rankings world wide anyways.

And it doesn’t matter that it’s not Russel group. There are some bad Russel group unis (imo) so just because a uni is Russel group doesn’t mean it’s amazing.
Reply 8
Original post by Pıt
I need to decide between these universities for Architecture. I’d be glad to hear the pros and cons please.

Visit the cities and unless you get a gut feeling about one, go with the most reputable:
1 UCL (although being in London is a decision you need to make)
Joint 2/3 Manchester or Edinburgh,
4/5 Bath or Nottingham.

I would take the "rankings don't matter" and "Russell Group doesn't matter" crowd with a heavy helping of salt. It depends on what you want to do but at the very least, being at a higher ranked uni won't hurt your chances wheres a lower one just might.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 9
Does it matter that much that it’s not so reputable world-wide? I’m quite sure it’s climbing the rankings world wide anyways.

And it doesn’t matter that it’s not Russel group. There are some bad Russel group unis (imo) so just because a uni is Russel group doesn’t mean it’s amazing.

Thank you for your reply.
Reply 10
Original post by Laffer
Visit the cities and unless you get a gut feeling about one, go with the most reputable:
4/5 Bath or Nottingham.

I would take the "rankings don't matter" and "Russell Group doesn't matter" crowd with a heavy helping of salt. It depends on what you want to do but at the very least, being at a higher ranked uni won't hurt your chances wheres a lower one just might.

Thank you very much for the detailed list of yours. I’ll take all into consideration
Original post by Pıt
Thank you very much for the detailed list of yours. I’ll take all into consideration

Bath is as reputable in the UK as Manchester and Edinburgh and certainly more than Nottingham.
Original post by Laffer
4/5 Bath or Nottingham.

Bath uni is ranked SECOND in the UK for architecture, and it was FIRST last year in the complete university guide. It also has the highest entry requirements.

I never said rankings don’t matter, I just said that being or not being in the Russel group doesn’t matter that much.
Bath uni is ranked SECOND in the UK for architecture, and it was FIRST last year in the complete university guide. It also has the highest entry requirements.

I never said rankings don’t matter, I just said that being or not being in the Russel group doesn’t matter that much.

I said global rankings don't matter that much. Domestic rankings matter more.
Reply 14
Bath is as reputable in the UK as Manchester and Edinburgh and certainly more than Nottingham.

Not sure what Kool Aid you have been drinking but that is just utter nonsense. Bath is not in the same league as Manchester or Edinburgh, domestically or internationally. It also ranks lower than Nottingham.
Original post by Laffer
Not sure what Kool Aid you have been drinking but that is just utter nonsense. Bath is not in the same league as Manchester or Edinburgh, domestically or internationally. It also ranks lower than Nottingham.

Are you okay? Bath is certainly in the same league as Edinburgh and Manchester.

Bath complete university guide rank 2024: 5th
Bath Guardian University guide rank 2024:6th
Bath Complete University guide rank for Architecture 2024: 2nd

Manchester complete university guide rank 2024: 19th
Manchester Guardian University rank 2024: 24th
Manchester complete university guide rank for Architecture 2024: 10th

Bath architecture entry requirements: A*AA
Manchester architecture entry requirements: AAA

Edinburgh is also lower, but since I’ve proved my point about Bath vs Manchester, I’m assuming you will believe me that they are all in the same class.
Reply 16
Are you okay? Bath is certainly in the same league as Edinburgh and Manchester.

Bath complete university guide rank 2024: 5th
Bath Guardian University guide rank 2024:6th
Bath Complete University guide rank for Architecture 2024: 2nd

Manchester complete university guide rank 2024: 19th
Manchester Guardian University rank 2024: 24th
Manchester complete university guide rank for Architecture 2024: 10th

Bath architecture entry requirements: A*AA
Manchester architecture entry requirements: AAA

Edinburgh is also lower, but since I’ve proved my point about Bath vs Manchester, I’m assuming you will believe me that they are all in the same class.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/world-university-rankings/top-universities-uk
Bath is 148...

That’s global rankings. And global rankings don’t matter that much in comparison to domestic rankings.

They use weird metrics like what % of the student body are international students and how well-known the uni is worldwide. Those metrics don’t say a lot about how good the uni is.

All domestic rankings say that Bath uni is clearly a very good university and certainly better than the aforementioned.
That’s global rankings. And global rankings don’t matter that much in comparison to domestic rankings.

They use weird metrics like what % of the student body are international students and how well-known the uni is worldwide. Those metrics don’t say a lot about how good the uni is.

All domestic rankings say that Bath uni is clearly a very good university and certainly better than the aforementioned.

And Bath university is starting to get the global reputation it deserves, as the rank worldwide has been steadily increasing.

The higher A Level requirement at Bath compared to the others shows how the calibre of students at the university is debatably better than the other universities mentioned.
Reply 19

Kind of my point though no? Your list says it’s comparable, mine says it’s not. That’s why I suggested to OP they choose a uni where there is no disagreement, hence my ranking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending