The Student Room Group

Overhead press

Is it necessary? Is it safe? I see so much conflicting advice. I started at a 15kg bar and am now doing 3x5 20kg and finding it really frickin tough like even the thought of adding another 2kg seems impossible right now plus I'm not even sure I'm doing it right because I have to hop every time to get the momentum and just feel really stupid and I end up lifting the bar a bit squint too, due to the hop. Plus I have read quite a lot of things on the internet about how it's not actually a very useful/ effective exercise and is actually quite damaging to your shoulders, would you say it's worthwhile? Progressing well in my other lifts but man I ****in struggle with this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I fail to see how it isn't effective. Who said that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Switch to dumbbells?
Should help with the balance
Reply 3
It is tough, it's a git to add weight to so even worse for a woman, that's no reason not to do it. My max is 60kg+ and adding 2kg would take me many months, so consider how much more a 2kg increase is for you as a % of your max. the upside is your a noob so will make gain quicker at first.

Stop hopping, there's no reason for it and it is probably making your form bad. If you can't get the weight moving without it then lower the weight.
Reply 4
it sounds like you're push pressing, it should be strict.
First of all, the overhead press is not inherently dangerous. Those who say it is are making excuses for the fact they're doing it wrong. Unless you have a previous shoulder injury or debilitating condition the overhead press is perfectly safe when done with correct form.

Your knees should always remain locked. A hop would make it a push press.

Don't worry about the low weight. Its designed to be an exercise you stall regularly with. A 100kg OHP would make you pretty damn mighty, whereas the same weight on say a deadlift is basically nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Deload to the bar until you get your form right, or if the bar is too heavy find a standard 5kg bar and go from there.
I have the exact problem. Started at 15kg and only managed 5x3 of 22.5 the other day (after about 3 months!). It's an incredibly hard lift for girls. You've just gotta keep at it. Don't add weight until you can confidently do 5x5 without hopping or using momentum.
You'll have to get special small plates to take 1kg or even 0.5kg jumps.
Original post by SEHughes
You'll have to get special small plates to take 1kg or even 0.5kg jumps.

Not absolutely necessary. I managed to get up to 22.5kg recently going up in 2.5kg jumps. It took a long time but it's not impossible.
Female=narrow shoulders and back + low endogenous testosterone production +high androgen receptor density in shoulders= slow as **** progress on overhead press.

Not much you can do about it except micro load and slowly grind your way up- just natural sexual di-morphism in action I'm afraid :tongue:.
Okay so amazingly I did OHP today for the first time since making this, and managed 20kg 5x5 with good form pretty easily, my gym has .5 plates so I might try that next time. Incidentally, I usually deadlift and squat before I OHP, but today I only squatted, so perhaps the deadlift tires out my upper body? I Deadlifted last today and struggled, seems to just be that I struggle on whatever I do last.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hermitthefrog
Okay so amazingly I did OHP today for the first time since making this, and managed 20kg 5x5 with good form pretty easily, my gym has .5 plates so I might try that next time. Incidentally, I usually deadlift and squat before I OHP, but today I only squatted, so perhaps the deadlift tires out my upper body? I Deadlifted last today and struggled, seems to just be that I struggle on whatever I do last.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dead-lifting before OHP will definitely take a toll on your OHP since the dead-lift will knacker your whole back which is actually very important in standing over head presses.

I would definitely recommend pressing before you deadlift as its hard enough to progress on for women as is!
Reply 12
Hold the bar just wider than shoulder width. Rest the bar on the front of your shoulders with your elbows high. then pull your neck back without looking upwards while lowering your elbows. Press the bar upwards until elbows are locked out. Be sure to follow through by bringing your head forwards once the bar is above it. Bring neck back again and lower the bar onto your shoulders.

If you can't press the bar then use the shoulder press machine until you have the strength to do it safely.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Not absolutely necessary. I managed to get up to 22.5kg recently going up in 2.5kg jumps. It took a long time but it's not impossible.

Definitely not impossible at the start, but eventually you'll do well with microloading rather than going on to a program that has you going up once a week/fortnight with 2.5kg jumps.
Is anything necessary?

Do I need to lift 245kg off the ground and drop it back down?

No. But I do it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely squat then press then deadlift. Don't ever try pressing after deadlift.

If you need to switch the order you can press first.

Yes, add the 0.5 plates next time and go for 21kg. :smile:
Is it necessary? Is it safe? I see so much conflicting advice. I started at a 15kg bar and am now doing 3x5 20kg and finding it really frickin tough like even the thought of adding another 2kg seems impossible right now plus I'm not even sure I'm doing it right because I have to hop every time to get the momentum and just feel really stupid and I end up lifting the bar a bit squint too, due to the hop. Plus I have read quite a lot of things on the internet about how it's not actually a very useful/ effective exercise and is actually quite damaging to your shoulders, would you say it's worthwhile? Progressing well in my other lifts but man I ****in struggle with this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you say, if you're having to hop to do a rep then your form isn't correct and you are lifting too heavy. Hopping to get the bar up means you are impact loading your body which can lead to back damage. Drop the weight until you are able to do the reps with proper form.

If you find the movement uncomfortable then as another poster suggested you could use dumbbells as they allow your shoulders to move independently. Using dumbbells instead of barbells will make it more difficult though as it requires more balance and core strength; being able to OHP 20KG doesn't necessarily mean you can do 10KG dumbbells straight away.

OHPs are part of my program but I do them after the other lifts such as front raises and standing and lying lateral raises which I find more effective. YMMV.
Original post by ShutUpLegs

If you find the movement uncomfortable then as another poster suggested you could use dumbbells as they allow your shoulders to move independently. Using dumbbells instead of barbells will make it more difficult though as it requires more balance and core strength; being able to OHP 20KG doesn't necessarily mean you can do 10KG dumbbells straight away.

OHPs are part of my program but I do them after the other lifts such as front raises and standing and lying lateral raises which I find more effective. YMMV.

Somewhat disagree. I think up to a point dumbbells are easier to press as you can drive into the bench and get more leverage. However, eventually you reach a point where you can press more weight than you can get into position to dumbbell press, I can unrack and easily press 85kg, no way I'm kicking up 42.5kg dumbbells and pressing them!

Why would you do OHP after all the fluff? Doesn't make sense to me.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Somewhat disagree. I think up to a point dumbbells are easier to press as you can drive into the bench and get more leverage. However, eventually you reach a point where you can press more weight than you can get into position to dumbbell press, I can unrack and easily press 85kg, no way I'm kicking up 42.5kg dumbbells and pressing them!

Why would you do OHP after all the fluff? Doesn't make sense to me.

You might be right, I find it harder to balance using dumbbells though. I do the raises first because my OHP is three or four times heavier and so puts more strain on my joints. If my delts are already tired I OHP less (though this is simplistic without considering moments around the shoulder joint).

Quick Reply

Latest