The Student Room Group

Need Advice on FUNDING MSc !

Hi,

Applications are beginning to open for 2015 Intake into various MSc programmes in the UK. So after much thinking, I will be applying to LSE, Imperial, Cass and Durham.

I plan to go into Investment Banking so these are the 'Target Schools' favored by the banks.

The Msc is going to be in something finance related so its either Accounting and Finance or Finance or corporate finance - the prices will guide me to my final decision.

However, Funding will be a huge problem (circa 23k) so I was wondering if anyone here has been in a similar situation and managed to find a way to fund the program??

I know these schools have scholarship funds but I hear they are really competitive so its not a sure thing, I am currently looking for Jobs at the moment so that I can save up between now and Intake. But even if I start working tomorrow I still won't save up 23K.. I have heard of career development loans so that's another route I will explore.

But I just want to know if anyone has been in this situation before and how they funded it? Are there any charity bodies that I don't know about yet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.s - Nah my parents can't afford it either.

Thanks
Reply 1
Corporate finance doesn't necessarily open the doors to investment banking, look into programmes like the one at Cardiff in International Banking, Economics and Finance. It's a really good programme at a great university, in a great and affordable city.
Original post by flygirl64
Hi,

Applications are beginning to open for 2015 Intake into various MSc programmes in the UK. So after much thinking, I will be applying to LSE, Imperial, Cass and Durham.

I plan to go into Investment Banking so these are the 'Target Schools' favored by the banks.

The Msc is going to be in something finance related so its either Accounting and Finance or Finance or corporate finance - the prices will guide me to my final decision.

However, Funding will be a huge problem (circa 23k) so I was wondering if anyone here has been in a similar situation and managed to find a way to fund the program??

I know these schools have scholarship funds but I hear they are really competitive so its not a sure thing, I am currently looking for Jobs at the moment so that I can save up between now and Intake. But even if I start working tomorrow I still won't save up 23K.. I have heard of career development loans so that's another route I will explore.

But I just want to know if anyone has been in this situation before and how they funded it? Are there any charity bodies that I don't know about yet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.s - Nah my parents can't afford it either.

Thanks

You can only get a maximum of £10k from a career development loan and the bank makes the ultimate decision about how much to lend you.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
You can only get a maximum of £10k from a career development loan and the bank makes the ultimate decision about how much to lend you.

Yes I know that; have you done a masters? do you have any idea on how I could fund this thing? Or will I have to just work for two years straight.
Yes I know that; have you done a masters? do you have any idea on how I could fund this thing? Or will I have to just work for two years straight.

I'm currently doing one now, although not anywhere near as expensive as the programs your listing (fees for me are £4.8k) - I've been fortunate enough to get money from my parents and grandparents whilst others here have worked for a few years previous or got the CDL but its enough to cover everything here. If you can't get a significant uni scholarship then you will have to work for a couple of years yes.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
I'm currently doing one now, although not anywhere near as expensive as the programs your listing (fees for me are £4.8k) - I've been fortunate enough to get money from my parents and grandparents whilst others here have worked for a few years previous or got the CDL but its enough to cover everything here. If you can't get a significant uni scholarship then you will have to work for a couple of years yes.

yeah its looking like that for me thanks for everything. What Masters degree are you studying? If you don't mind me asking.
yeah its looking like that for me thanks for everything. What Masters degree are you studying? If you don't mind me asking.

International Public Policy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending